Carnival Glory Cruise Review by mgpm: Glory Glory Hallelujah!

mgpm
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Glory Glory Hallelujah!

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was my second time on the Carnival Glory. I went four years ago to the Carribean, this time went to New England. This trip, I went with my husband alone, last time I went with my mom, mother in law and children. This was my third Carnival cruise, the first was in 2000 to the Mexican Riviera.

I have not sailed with any other cruise line. But I honestly can't imagine why I'd want to. My experiences with Carnival have been wonderful. The employees really bend over backwards to help you with anything you need or want. And they are so consistently friendly that I wonder if they slip happy drugs in the staff food!

Every single employee was kind and helpful. Jorge, the cruise director, was just HYSTERICAL. He's a very funny comedian. Loved him! The games were funny and the shows were good. JUSTIN ILLUSION was awesome. Very sexy magic show. I saw him on my first trip aboard the Glory and he has gotten better, the show is amazing.

There were two comedians More aboard---Mark Klein and Rich Brooks. Mark was very funny and Rich, not to my taste. They both did PG and adult shows.

Two new additions since my last cruise were a big screen tv on Lido deck and minature golf. We didn't watch any movies (too busy w/shows and activities)

On this trip, the ports of call were St. John, and Halifax in Nova Scotia. We took three excursions on this cruise, City Market and St. Martin's sea caves in St. John, Peggy's Cove in Halifax, and we also took the "Behind the Fun" tour of the ship.

The Behind the Fun tour is pricy--$95 per person. But it is 3 hours long, and you see all kinds of interesting things. The ship has a brig (jail) and a morgue. We saw where the laundry was done, trash taken care of, food prepared, staff lounges, backstage at the theatre, and even got to go on the bridge and meet the captain who was VERY generous with his time and answered all kinds of questions. We got a picture w/the captain, a hat, backpack and lanyard as gifts on the tour. If you have the money to spare, and are interested in how things work, this is a great tour. I'm glad I took it.

The one thing I didn't like on this ship was that I heard music by the pool on two different times that contained the F word. I don't think that's appropriate, since little ones hang out there so much. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Panorama 7942

Our room was fantastic. My husband had booked a fancier room for us because it was our anniversary. We had a king size bed, balcony, double sinks in the bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. The tub was kind of small, but I expected that. The bathroom was lovely with granite and mosaic tile. The whole room was very pretty and very comfortable. The room was pretty quiet, except for some rude guests yelling in the hallway one night. But we heard no noise from the ship at all.

Unfortunately it rained the day we got to Halifax. It cleared up enough for us to take a stroll on the boardwalk there. There were many interesting shops and restaurants, including a glass blowing shop and Cows Ice cream which is worth a visit. We took a tour to Peggy's Cove, and I would recommend it. Our tour guide, Judy, was much like Annie the day before. She was folksy and very nice, and also showed us where she lived! The narratives of both guides were kind of funny, because the seemed so personal at times....might be hokey to some but I found it sweet and charming. My husband and I enjoyed it. Peggy's Cove is really interesting, the scenery slowly changes from urban, to forest, to rocky shore. There are little houses there, a light house and huge smooth boulders. We were warned to stay away from black rocks because they are slippery and every year a few tourists get too close and wind up going in the drink, either drowning or getting injured. It raining buckets by the time we got there, so we went into the restaurant and had a piece of gingerbread cake (very good) and waited for a bit. The rain let up some, and we ventured out onto the rocks. It was windy and damp but beautiful all the same. I got some great pictures here.

Read 353 Halifax Reviews

I am including NYC's port in our trip. Embarkation/Debarkation was simple and easy. Driving to the port was easy too, I was suprised at this. We went through the Lincoln tunnel and it was very close there.

When we arrived back in NYC after our cruise, we went to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. We took a ferry from the New Jersey side to do this. Tickets for the ferry were $12. It was amazing (and amusing) to note the difference between people in Canada and the US---in Canada they were folksy and super polite. On the ferry, the employees were literally yelling at the passengers, "THIS BOAT DOES NOT GO TO NEW YORK!" over and over. In the port terminal some poor Asian Carnival employee was barked at by a port worker there, "Move along buddy, this is New York, you have to step it up!!!"

Ellis Island has a lot to see. There's a movie (free) that's interesting about the history of the island and the immigrants. We had lunch in the cafe there and the food was suprisingly very good. My husband had the BBQ sandwich and I had the Mozzerella sandwich.

The Statue of Liberty is impressive. We got much better pictures here than when we were leaving on the cruise because the time of day we left (6pm) the sun was not in a great position for taking pics of the statue. You have to get special tickets in advance to go to the top of the pedestal or the crown and we didn't have these.

St. John is kind of industrial as you pull into port. But you can see where efforts have been made right outside the terminal to make it pleasant and nice. We took the St John/Martin's Bay tour. Our tour guide, Annie, was so sweet. An older lady dressed in period costume, she just commented on everything and pointed out things of interest. You could tell she really loved and was proud of her home, she had a kind, folksy, very positive manner that I found charming. She even pointed out where her house was on the tour. :) First stop was the City Market which was large, clean and colorful. They sell trinkets, crafts, meats, cheeses and fruits here. They also sell a local delicacy, Dulse, which is dried seaweed. Annie said her husband munches on this like a snack and handed out a sample to anyone who wanted it. It was salty and rather fishy tasting. Then she handed out mints afterward, which was kind of cute. A quick trip around the market, then we headed to St.Martin. We stopped again at a little area that had a cute harbor, with some little shanty shops. Snapped pictures of two covered bridges (we are told the only place in the world you can get two covered bridges in the same photo). Then back on the bus....arriving at the sea caves in St. Martin. Unfortunately, the tide was high so we couldn't go in them. We had lunch at The Caves Restaurant which has "world famous chowder". The Chowder was very good (there is another tomato based soup if you don't want seafood and chicken strips for picky kids). I recommend the chowder! The soup, biscuit, cookies and soft drink are included in the tour. We also bought lobster rolls which were excellent. After lunch, we were told to see if we could find a "wish rock" on the beach. We found enough to take home to give all our loved ones wishes.