Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Tracycruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Tracycruiser
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Liberty
Member Name: Tracycruiser
Cruise Date: July 2010
Cabin Category: 8B
Entertainment Not Rated

Hot Hot Hot in the Caribbean
We were a group of six traveling together. A couple in their 60/70's, with one in a chair, four friends in early 50's. My husband and I have cruised six times, the Liberty once before. This was the second cruise for the other two couples. We live in South Florida so a quick hour and half drive we are at the port. We arrived at the Port of Miami at approximately 10:30 a.m. Went through security and using the check in kiosks we were checked in and had our sail and sign cards in hand before 11:00. If they haven't started boarding yet you are asked to have a seat in a very comfortable air conditioned waiting area. Available in the waiting area are clean bathrooms and refreshment vendors. The only little clitch we hit was not knowing to pick up a zone card at the desk by the "A" escalators. You will need this zone card when they start boarding. Because of this error we ended up boarding 15 minutes later than we should have. No big deal.

We had two balcony rooms aft which we found to have plenty of storage and hanging space. We opened the balcony divider between us to allow for more space and easier conversation. Note, if you want to share balcony space there is a problem with the divider blocking a door when open between cabins 7408 and 7410. Had we been one cabin over on either side there would not have been a problem.

My father and his companion had an amazing room. He had room 7228 which is a wheelchair suite. This room is huge. No problem using a chair in the bedroom/living area, dressing room and an awesome handicap bathroom. There was no barrier to the balcony. Wheelchair went right over the threshold. My father couldn't have been happier with the room. He also had an excellent view of the pilot house from his balcony.

Our first port of call my personal favorite, Half Moon Cay. Things did not go so well here. Firstly, there was a man over board. A crew member likely in preperation of Half Moon Cay lost his footing in the choppy waters and fell overboard. Thankfully, the crew's training paid off and the person was rescued and brought aboard in satisfactory condition. Job well done, Liberty Crew. After the rescue the Captain announced that due to choppy water he was unable to anchor and tendering not possible. Sadly, with Half Moon Cay in our sights we had to say good bye and move on.

Our itinerary got juggled around a bit due to the Half Moon Cay change. St. Marteen was added to replace Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas was moved a day and shortened from an all day to a half day, San Juan we arrived mid afternoon instead of the morning. Grand Turks remain unchanged. These changes did not cause us any problems at all.

The Liberty was clean and well maintained. The crew was excellent with only a couple of minor exceptions. Donnie in the Cabinet (cigar bar)we miss you. Room service, oh how, I miss my morning coffee service. Lido buffet was clean and orderly. Attendants were around if you need assistance.

One of the few problems we had was at the fish and chips grill. There was a long long line. Only two employees working the station. One cooking, one taking orders and plating. Clearly needed two more employees. Additionally the line was empty of trays and eating utensils. There was one employee standing by the two flight stairway going down to the lido holding an empty tray. When approached about needing trays and silverware his response was they are down there. Indicating the Lido deck which was a 2 story stair climb. Bad response. He did not take any type of action.

One other significant problem we had was in the dining room. All six of us should have been linked but for some reason four of us were together and two were not. On the first day we went to the Maitre d' to discuss the problem. Present was my father who was in an electric wheelchair and I on with my cane. He told us there was nothing that could be done for that night and hopefully tomorrow changes could be made and we would be notified. We did get moved the following day to a table together which was terrific. However, we were moved all the way to the back of the dining room by the fantail. This was a horrible place to get a wheel chair to. In order to get my father to the table, diners had to get up from their meal to move so my dad could squeeze by. Although, everyone was very nice and understanding my father felt intrusive to these people.

One night we had dinner at Harry's Steak house. A resonable value. Although I will say with the $30.00 up charge and tipping out it is a bit pricey. The service was excellent from start to finish. The presentation of food was excellent, the quality of food was very good, the taste of food was very good to excellent. When I made the reservations on line I had informed them that there would be a vegetarian guest with us. The chef had prepared a special mushroom strudel for that guest. She loved it and was pleased that chef had prepared something special just for her.

Debarkation began around 7:30 a.m. and we were off the ship and waiting for pick up at 8:40. Smooth as silk.

We had a wonderful time. Liberty crew you did Carnival proud. Thank you for a wonderful vacation and we look forward to sailing with you again soon.

Publication Date: 08/03/10