Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by jl4122: NCL Epic - A single travelers thoughts

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

NCL Epic - A single travelers thoughts

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

I just got home from my cruise on NCL Epic, and I liked it! As a solo traveler, the studios were a perfect fit for my budget. There was plenty of storage space (once I found the baskets under the bed). Granted, the room is SMALL, but I only use it for sleeping and showering anyway. I would NEVER book a studio for two people.

The entertainment was great. I particularly liked the dinner theater options. I saw both the Cirque and the Murder mystery. As a solo traveler, I was seated with other families. It was a bit awkward at first, but I am pretty good at adapting and making small talk. The food was great (it was a set meal, but I like to try new things - so no complaints from me). I know the kids at the table didn't like the meal. Perhaps NCL should consider having a kids' menu for these shows.

The adults' only pool (Spice H2O) was particularly awesome for me. The pool was a little warm and the hot tubs were a little cold. But the benefit of not tripping over little More kids was a big bonus for me. I did wander over to the main pools to try out the water slides. They were great fun. One issue (not an NCL problem) was that mothers would wait in line for the Epic Plunge, and when they neared the front of the line, six little kids would appear out of nowhere and the mothers would smile and shrug at me as they let them into line. Needless to say, I only waited in that line once (I was afraid I might voice my disgust towards these people too loudly to attempt it again.) I heard complaints about the main pools and I can see their point. For a ship with over 4000 people, I think the main pools are way too small.

The food was also very good, although a bit repetitive. It seemed like the buffet line never changed selections. Taste was tasty - but again, it was largely the same menu every night. I like the idea of the specialty restaurants, and I don't even mind that there is a small fee. But $20 is a lot! Especially considering that I already paid for my meals when I purchased by cruise.

MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT - and I really hope NCL takes this into consideration...

The majority of the parties (night life clubbing) catered to the 18 - 24 year olds. The theme nights were fun, but there were not enough of them and they ended at 11 pm. After that, your only real choice was Bliss. There was a lot of hip-hop and techno. There were a lot of drunken YOUNG adults - grinding, throwing up in the bathroom, and starting stupid fights. I understand the policy of allowing 18 year olds to drink with parent permission, but it needs to be monitored (and it didn't seem that the parents were doing so!) There needs to be a limit to how much they can consume - perhaps a punch card of some sort? Most nights, I ended up leaving because watching the young ladies getting drunk, showing off their thongs, and in some cases being taken advantage of, was very distressing.

Please consider keeping Spice H2O open later into the night with dance music that is NOT hip-hop or techno. Let the young adults keep Bliss, but give us medium adults (over 30 year olds) a place to let our hair down. 80s nights, sock hops, anything! I am considering sailing Epic again, so it would be really nice to have options. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>