Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Desperate Hairdresser: A whole lot of NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Desperate Hairdresser
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

A whole lot of NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Dover

I went with a group tour, so the travel agent chose NCL. None of the group were impressed. Embarkation went very smoothly and i must say professionally. However, upon entering the ship, you were on your own. I finally asked one of the employees, "Where do I go?" she stated if i was hungry go up to the 11th deck. That was it. I went to 11th deck. a very nice bbq was underway. The band was playing, all in all it was good.

My room was ready right on time, with luggage waiting. I called room service and asked for an iron, this was a BIG mistake. i was informed VERY rudely, that this was not done on the day of embarkation. So, I went to dinner wrinkled. I made the second mistake by calling and asking for an iron the second day. Let me state, i am aware of the fire hazard, and even MORE aware that they want you to pay for their services, however, i did not want to wait 2 days for a pressed shirt. I was told even more rudely that I would have to be in my room for the next 15 or 20 More minutes, if I wanted an iron. i said, "NO,problem, I am calling from my room..." I waited and hour and twenty minutes and still no iron, second night of "wrinkled dinner."

I have fun going to the grocery store, let alone on a cruise! I could not let rudeness pass,I called and asked for a manager. Explaining what went on I told the manager that I did not travel thousands of miles to get worked up over an iron, but I could not allow rudeness to go unreported. He apologized profusely and said he would look into it. the next day he sent word for me to meet him, and told me he had spoken to the lady in housekeeping, i said good and went on to enjoy my vaycay. They next day a bottle of wine and a fruit and cheese plate arrived to my room. This was nice, but i don't like merlot and don't eat cheese! I just wanted an iron! 12 days later and still wrinkled dinner shirts!!moving on.

The public room looked dated and that about cover it. As for the constant sales pitches from photos to colombian emeralds international, I felt I was on the set of home shopping network with no off button.

Dining..NOTHING special. I don't sing praises over adequate food and out of the 12 days, only five meals were above average. The best meal cost me $30.00 extra at the french bistro. Worth every penny. The other 4 good meals were in the Seven Seas and the Four Seasons restaurants. The buffet was ok for breakfast but seating was horrible. 50 degrees makes dining outside a little rough and as people like to linger, this was a challenge EVERYDAY.

I skipped dessert at dinner to go to the much talked about "Chocolate Buffet". What a disgusting joke.I like to eat and can find something anywhere, no here. Everything was inedible, i sat at a table with 13 other guest and we just looked at each other. Someone actually worked all day on this?! It ALL tasted like it was made from cheap Palmer's Easter candy chocolate,Gross beyond words.

The waiters came around saying,"Would you "LIKE" a glass of champagne? Not would you "WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE". They made plenty of very vocal enemies right then. I just left the room.

The shore excursion were very enjoyable, keep in mind I only purchased one from NCL.

The Norwegian sun was a perfectly fine floating Super Eight Motel, taking me from port to port, but what a huge disappointment! the staff was for the most part VERY young filipinos that became too comfortable performing their jobs as the two weeks passed by. i don't want to hear the sing, make passes at co-workers, while i am walking to my dinner table. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 8114

I stayed in cabin 8114. it was surprisingly spacious and if it had ever been cleaned properly, It would have been very nice.

I booked the Royal Copenhagen tour and it was wonderful. The castle and the crown jewels were wonderful!! The tour guide was an American living in Copenhagen for 20 years. he stayed on topic the entire time giving wonderful insight into the history of the Danish royal family. More time would have been great, but all in all I was very happy!

Such a wonderful UNDERATED port!! There is no need to take any tours here! if you just want to spend the day in a charming German seaside town, this is it! I antiqued had a wonderful lunch, shopped in chic boutiques and walked a lovely promenade, what more can you ask for?! If you want to tour Berlin go, but i have been to Germany several times and was enchanted by this lovely town!!

They terminal in St. petersburg is very nice. My group had a private tour with Red October tours and they are phenomenal! Cheaper than booking through NCL too!

As in Warnemunde, you can walk off the ship and be in old town Tallinn in a bout 15 minutes of brisk walking. This is the way to do it. Buy yourself a guide book and start taking pictures! Why pay for a tour when all of the background info is in the book! wonderful shops, photo ops, and everything else is available. You Must see the linen shops! You can smell the sweetness of the linen on the street. so much fun.all of the roads lead to town square, so you won't get lost. buy your Russian souvenirs here, they are cheaper! You must buy the woolens too, so fantastic and you will never find the deals on fantastic quality knitted goods anywhere else, and i knit! Right at the shopping stalls by the docks!

Read 351 Tallinn Reviews