Rotterdam Cruise Review by 50cruiser

Cruise Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: A
See More About: Rotterdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Rotterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Rotterdam Deck Plans
Great weather Alaska was great Rotterdam seemed understafed
I booked our cruise through HAL including air, transfers , and tours . We had fantastic weather . mid 60s clear, slight waves so little ship movement.Hal had good flight times and we got good seats .We had bad weather in Chicago so our flights were delayed 90 min .

Embarcation at port went very smooth , we went right on ship . We missed Mariner lunch by 15 min .Rooms were ready so we droped off carry ons and went to ledo for lunch . Ledo was a mess . hunderds of people trying to get to the small stations Rotterdam has set up . Very poor setup. Stations need to be moved farther apart . only about 5 people can get in line at each station .

Ship was in new condition . Paint showed little rust . Rooms were great , beds were firm, flat screen tv nice . Bad thing we noticed was seeming lack of staff . It seemed HAL has cut staff throught ship . THE REALLY BAD AREA WAS THE PINNICAL GRILL . WE TRIED NUMEROUS TIMES TO GET SEATING AND COULDNT > WE WERE WAITLISTED BUT ONLY GOT TO EAT THERE 1 TIME > ID EAT THERE EVERY NIGHT > I FINALL TALKED TO THE RESERVATION DESK MANAGER > HE TOLD US THAT HAL HAD CUT THEIR STAFF SO THEY ONLY HAD STAF FOR HALF THE TABLES > I WAS VERY UP SET > I FILED A COMPLAINT AT THE DEST RELATIONS AND SHE SAID SHE WOULD FOWARD IT TO HAL HEADQUARTERS > It makes no sence to me if people want to pay extra to eat there why cant they have enough staff . The night we ate there ony a third of tables were full and we were waitlisted that night so all tables should have been full . We stoped there every night on our way to dining room and it was the same evey night diferent times of the eavning . Less then half of the tables were full . HAL need to fix this . I look foward to eating there .

We had a great time watching the numerous Whales each day . We saw over 400 whales during our trip . I went fishing at KETCKAN and had great time catching 12 fish . One thing to not to do is the BEAR FORTRESS TOUR IN STIKA . They have 2 tame bears in an old fuel tank .Cost was about $50 on ship tour . Cost of admission at the Fortress was $10. I complained and the tour desk refunded $20 each . Still way too much but Ill donate the $30 we paid as a bad experence . Glacers were fantastic , many calvings . Activities during the day was almost non exisint. About only thing was trivia games . Id highly recamend the Sea otter tour at Stika though it was great . We saw lots of wildlife including Whales {Grey, humpback, and Killer} seals, otters , Grizzley bears, eagles, waterfalls . All in all we had a good time .

Would I go again on HAL . Maybe , They need to upgrade their Entertainement and staff .

Publication Date: 08/02/10