Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Greyhound13: A Very Good First Cruise!

Greyhound13
Member Since 2010
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

A Very Good First Cruise!

Sail Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I just got back from our very first cruise on the Carnival Dream. We chose to leave out of Port Canaveral, as it a 2 1/2 hour drive from where we live. We had a really good time and we will definitely be cruising again! We also learned a lot to apply to our future cruises.

The food-The food was good and there was a lot of it! I gained 7 pounds if that tells you anything! We chose the "your time" dining which was good for us as we are not always great with a schedule. Next time I think we will try the scheduled dining because we had a different waiter each night and did not get to know our fellow diners. The lines at the buffet were sometimes long, but expected with such a large ship.

Activities- We played trivia, ran on the deck, and visited the pools and hot tubs. I wish there had been more to do on the days at sea. The last sea day we were sunburned and tired and I wish there had been more to do indoors.

Entertainment- The outdoor movies More were cool. We only went to one show on the last night "Carnival Legends" and it was entertaining. We tried to go to another show right before it started and it was too crowded so GET THERE EARLY to get seats. We also watched one of the comedians who was not bad.

Disembarkation- I was worried about this as I had heard other guests complaining, but we were off and to our car with our bags very quickly. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Empress 7228

Cabin was fine, we were not in it much! Closets were adequate, could hear noise from the shows but not bad!

Our itinerary was switched and we headed to Belize on day 2. We got up early to get our tender and waited a LONG time before the weather was ok for anyone to board the tenders. Then they made the announcement that the cave tubing was cancelled because the river was high from all the rain. This was upsetting as we were now 0 for 2 on shore excursions. We had booked cave tubing through cavetubing.bz so we decided to go find them to see what our options were for an alternative activity. I had read very positive reviews of this company online so I trusted their judgement.

We decided to go see the ruins nearby. The guides told us where to stand and wait. While waiting, we talked to another family and they told us Vitalino (the owner) had told them about another cave tubing option that was fed from a spring and not the river so they were still going to do that. We waited for about a half hour before another family came and then we were all herded to the van. At this point, my husband and I still planned on going to the ruins. Vitalino told us about the "secret spring" but there was only one catch. Another company had a contract there with the cruise line and we would have to say we were from a hotel. Now at this bit of sketchiness we should have just walked away. We were so tired of waiting and just wanted to do SOMETHING that we let the other family talk us into trying this secret spring. So we all piled into the van and left for the hour long drive.

The drive through Belize City was very interesting. It is a very poor city and very sad to see the children walking through trash with no shoes. Once we got out of the city the drive was beautiful. We got to the spring and our guide informed us that someone had called and told the spring that he was bring cruise passengers so they would not let us in. So we all piled back in the van and made the hour long trip back. It was all very disappointing. I should have just trusted my instincts and walked away.

When we got back to the port, we had some food at "The Wet Lizard" (bad service- good food) walked around drinking Belikin beers (very tasty) and shopped.

I would still like to try cave tubing but next time I will go with a different company.

I had not booked any excursions this day, figuring we could just swim and shop. A mistake. The shopping here is so expensive, double the prices in Cozumel. The beach here is too rocky to swim. They have two pools here and we wound up just playing volleyball in the pool and had fun doing that. If I came back here, I would book an excursion.

Our shore excursion was cancelled due to weather so we were a little bummed out. We shopped a little and then decided to get a taxi. We were going to go to Chankanaab Park but our driver talked us into a resort. He took us to Mr. Sancho's and we paid $50 a person for unlimited food and drink. The food was ok, the mixed drinks were gross, so I switched to beer. Our price also included snorkels and kayaks and they had jet skis and horses available to rent also. The snorkeling was not great. We still managed to have a fun time despite the weather. I'm sure Cozumel is very pretty when it is not raining. I would not return to Mr. Sancho's, I'm sure there are other places that are much nicer.

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Roatan was hands down the best day! The island is so beautiful! We booked a Zip and Dip tour through Victor Bodden and it was amazing. The ziplining was too cool. All of the equipment was new and I felt very safe. The guides were fun and did some tricks for us. After ziplining we got to hold monkeys see macaws and other animals. A very good time.

We left the zipline place and they took us to the Infinity Bay Resort to snorkel. It was so beautiful. We rented some snorkels on the beach. The absolute best snorkeling. There were so many different kinds of fish and coral. Amazing. The only small problem on this day was that we tried to order food from the resort bar and it took over an hour and then it was time to leave. Other than that, a perfect day.

Read 1642 Roatan Reviews