Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by explorer50uk: Not impressed by our experience on Mariner

explorer50uk
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Mexican Riviera Cruises

Not impressed by our experience on Mariner

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I sailed with my adult son and daughter 4th July out out LA and am sorry to say that this has probably been the worst experience out of 46 previous RCCL cruises.

Check-in was the only easy and pleasant part of this cruise, we arrived 3pm once the lines had gone down.

We were given an Upgrade from D1 to J/S because of our D+ and were very grateful to C&A for this. The cabin was very nice but I cannot see why this grade is called a Junior SUITE, they should probably change it to a larger balcony!! This grade is NOT classed as a suite, especially when it comes to any of the suite perks offered. There was no breakfast or lunch in Portofinos (Radiance in January did offer breakfast in PF for D+ and Suites and was very very good) I do understand that the other suite catagories are more expensive than the price we paid but I feel that after the number of cruises with RCCL that we have also spent a great deal. (entierly my choice!!)

I would also now like to More give the impression that I was given on the CC, firstly Alan the Concierge was unable to have any type of converation without one eye being on the door, this was when the chat was instigated by him, eventually we gave up on anything other than a please or thank you. His suite guests on the other hand were welcomed with open arms. Children are not allowed in the CC after 5pm and despite this there were children sitting with their parents almost every night. The bar waiters on the other hand were absolutely lovely and very good at their jobs.

Guest relations were the most unhelpful that I have ever had dealing with on any RCCL cruise. We had adjoining cabins and asked the CS to have the door between the cabins opened so that we would not have to peer around the balconies.Our steward was most apologetic and said that he had been told not to open the doors, aparantyly it was a "safety issue". On enquiring at the guest relations we were told a different reason from three different members of staff ranging from "don,t know" to "I would love to tell you but its a secret" this being from the Guest Relations Manager. One of the staff found our question very amusing and when I asked him what he found to laugh about was very rude and then when I complained to his manager had to be told by her to "be quiet" when he insisted that i was not telling the truth about his behaviour.

I have never met a more unhappy bunch of staff than encountered on this ship and most of the ones we spoke to could not wait to leave and were hoping that their contract on the ship was changed once they had been on vacation. There were quite a few ex-crew members from Radiance now on Mariner and they had not a good word to say about Mariner.

I am sorry to be writing this negative review but apart from the ports on the trip we were not happy on this vaction. Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

This port is ok, check-in went well.