Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Cruise a holic: Birthday Bash

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Birthday Bash

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Our adventure began after we parked our car in the NY cruise terminal which is located adjacent to the cruise terminal. We paid cash to park as it was expected in advance. We entered the terminal around 10:45 AM, registered and received our sail and sign card. The waiting area had ample seating. Boarding began around 11:30 AM. We took our family photo and proceeded to the lido deck for lunch. The cabins weren't ready until around 1:30, but lunch and all other areas were open to guests. Of course at this point the staff was trying to sell drinks in plastic glasses for about $8.00 each.

The ship was classic Carnival- I had sailed on about 5 other carnival ships prior to the Glory. It was very gaudy and festive. The public areas and the cabins were very clean and well maintained. My sister and I had a really nice balcony cabin- exactly like the cabins I had on other carnival ships- same decor. My brother had his own inside cabin which was very comfortable also. One thing that More was chintzy was that the bathrooms had a couple of "free" sample toiletry items. The kind you get in newspapers and magazines. Small plastic wrapped toothpaste, etc. They also gave us one disposable razor. Realistic 2-3 oz sample bottles of toiletries would have been a better option. The cabin steward was excellent- room always clean and comfortable and he wasn't intrusive at all. The cabins do not have a clock, so don't forget your travel clock. I also expected a booklet containing some discount coupons for drinks, pictures and spa services. Most cruise lines give them to returning guests.

The spa was okay. Of course the staff was hawking services, but this is part of the cruise experience, let the buyer beware! The shops were fair- not that much variety that interested us. The $10 watches , and inch of fake gold were popular.

The bartenders in the lobby bar were also great. Find out what the drink of the day is- it is noted in the daily publication left each night on your bed by your cabin steward with the adorable towel animals.

We had anytime dining on this sailing. I would not do it again on carnival. They really need to get their act together and use a system like Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas. On that ship, the day you want anytime dining you reserve that time and the wait, if any is minimal. On carnival you wait and wait. We had to wait over 1 1/2 hours one day to be seated we were handed a beeper like at some restaurant chains. So if you aren't dining early- before six- better to reserve fixed dining especially if you are a family. I do not think the anytime dining room and staff were adequate for this service. We even missed two shows as we waited for a dinner and to be seated so long. The food however was good in the restaurant, specialty restaurant and buffet.

The shows that we did see were excellent- Very talented performers. The photographers were above average! Love those special lens that they use to make you look younger and great!! We did purchase many pictures, but I am sure would have purchased more if we could see the pictures on line and not hunt around for them. RCL's new ships have a wonderful system. Each cabin has a folio file, in that file are all of your pictures. You can even view them on monitor stations in the photograph area- What an easy way to view photos- and perhaps buy too many!!!

Laundry rooms were abundant on each deck- great if you want to do laundry. We stayed at the indoor pool area- We reserved our seats early so we could be assured of a lounge chair in that area.

The shore excursions were good. We especially enjoyed Peggy's Cove- the titanic cemetery I could have done without- nothing really to see.

I did use the computer room. It was dark and difficult to find- you had to walk through a smokey bar in order to access it. The room should be much bigger with good lighting- not through a smoke filled bar. Some people, especially pregnant women and children shouldn't be exposed to the stall smell of smoke- I would imagine if the computer area was better, more people would purchase time- a good moneymaker for the cruise line.

We did have a great time. Being together and enjoying the amenities of the trip. The price was very reasonable and since we live in NY no airports to deal with making it a special plus. This was a great cruise if you have limited time off and live in driving distance to NY. It isn't as warm as going to the Bahamas or Caribbean, but a great time and an interesting destination. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>