Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by dahnsc: What an intro to the Mediterranean!

dahnsc
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

What an intro to the Mediterranean!

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We have not crusied in 10 years. The two previous cruises were on Royal Carribean. Our first time Celebrity cruise was a great experience. After a private tour of Rome, we were ready to leave. Checking in was quick and efficient.

We were pleased right away to find that Celebrity encourages their staff to SPEAK and be friendly to the clients. That adds so much to the trip, since you are going to be dealing with some of the same folks each day. It is always interesting to learn where the staff is from, too.

Aqua Class was a big plus, especially the intimacy of Blu dining. I have a real sweet tooth, and sometimes yearned for a really decadent dessert, but the meals were wonderful, and I never left, feeling too stuffed. There was only one day during the week when none of the five entree choices did not really appeal to my husband or myself, and the meal was still good. ( I guess if the menus were shared for the entire week, people could plan their specialty nights when More the menu did not appeal?) We treated ourself to one specialty restaurant-ate at Murano-felt the extra prices were a bit high, but the service and meal were exquisite.

Our first shore excursion was with a ships' tour. We were VERY disappointed-the guide was not personable, did not do a lot-of course Taromina did not have a great amount to see, and the group did not listen or follow directions-the problems lots of folks complain of with the large groups. This left me somewhat concerned for the other ship's tours we had selected. Luckily, they were not as disappointing We did enjoy the small group/private tours that we had for Athens, Rhodes, and Ephesus. (I do wish that the ship guides would set a TIME to meet, and make the folks stick to it-no fair to those who come back and have to wait around. As long as you keep letting them do that, they will continue to be late, as will more group members, and hold everyone up.) There was so much we had never seen, we did a lot of full day tours. That meant not as much time to use other amenities on the ship.

When we did have time to visit the pools, there was the same problem we had ten years ago-folks saving chairs, and sometimes never even coming to use them. The daily sheet commented on this, and even said they (who on the deck was responsible for this?)would start removing towels and personal items if left more than 30 min. We always managed to find two chairs, but it was difficult sometimes. We enjoyed the on-deck live music, especially the two singers with the band. We just wished that they played longer in the afternoon.

This was our first cruise with a veranda. It was a wonderful addition, letting us have a wonderful view of the islands. One afternoon, as we left one port, five or six seagulls flew along, riding the currents of our wake. They glided up and down the sides of the waves, rarely flapping their wings. At some point, they were going faster than the ship. We watched them for over 30 minutes. The balcony was especially great for room service breakfast when we had to leave early for excursions. Our room steward was GREAT! She made sure the room was ready for us all the time. (I had to laugh-no towel animals on the bed, though.) The extras of water, tea, and canapes for Aqua were very nice. Dining in Blu, at what time suited us, was wonderful. We got to chat with quite a few different folks who were also eating there. The wait staff were all pleasant, friendly, and really wanted to be sure your food was fixed to your requests. One "best kept secret" was the Crepe restaurant. We ate brunch there one day. It was delightful, a nice break from the buffet, and $5. each well spent.

The night-time entertainment was pretty good, some better than others. We had to admire the energy level and multi talents of the ship's performers.

My husband got some kind of intestinal problem the night before the second day at sea. We had to go to the medical center. The wait was less than in our doctor's office at home. While his problem required quarantine, we were pleased with the care he got. They gave us a card to give the excursion folks for a refund on our trip for the next day. When our cruise was at an end, the departure was almost painless. What a pleasure after what we remembered from ten years ago, sorting through the piles of luggage with mobs of others from the cruise. We used the ship's transport and were quite satisfied. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox AquaClass Penthouse Deck (11) 1639

After we got the veranda divider locked-it banged with the ship's movement the first night, and the gurgling it the shower taken care of-which was done quickly, the room was great. I do wish that the fan was not so loud. We had to close the door to the bathroom to block out the sound. The room was a good size, the veranda was great, and the bed was comfortable. The curtains were great, blocking out the sunlight. I would have liked a clock that was easier to read-it was on my husband's side of the bed-and I could not read without glasses and had to stop at his side to read. At our age, 60, we get up more than once at night-and it is helpful to know if it is almost morning, etc.

Our guide was much more personable. We had to miss the motor launch, with the quarantine, but were able to schedule the afternoon Pompeii trip. It was wonderful. No one should miss Pompeii.We might have been able to ask more questions in a small group, but we covered a good deal of ground. Again, the group did not come back when told to at the end of the trip-the guide told me that the time we were going to leave was "fine." That was not my concern-if I was going to come back when asked, they all should. There was no time to discuss about reinforcement of behavior! hehe

Read 653 Naples Reviews

Maybe it was our guide, or just that there is not that much to see in Taormina. We were very disappointed that, once in town, the guide just walked the group the 20 minutes up the street to the Greek Theater. He had given info during the bus ride, but said nothing else unless someone asked a question, except to tell us about the water, the meeting place, and then took us to the theater. He told us about the theater and then left us to our own. It was hot, and crowded, as it was high season. This was our first stop where the toilets were seatless and inadequate. Folks in the group did not watch the time, despite the long time they had to shop.