Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Bigwave1129: Indiana travelers

Family & Children 3.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Indiana travelers

Sail Date: July 2010

Background: We are a family of four including an 11 year old and 14 year old son. We traveled down to Ft Lauderdale with my Mother in law and Father in law. We were met there by my wife's little brother who was going on his first cruise. The rest of the group had cruised at least three times and at least once with Carnival.

Pre-Cruise: We flew down on Thursday and stayed at the Best Western Oceanside for two days. The Hotel was very clean and the location was great. The beach was close by and it was a short walk to the water taxi. I can not say enough about the water taxi. It was a wonderful way to see Ft. Lauderdale and the guides provided great information on all the beautiful homes. The last evening, we took the water taxi to the Pirate Restaurant and I recommend this place to everyone. It was a great meal with a super atmosphere and great view.

Ship: The Freedom is quite a ship with lots of great spaces. The crew was always cleaning and I did not see anything More all week that was left in a dirty condition. The Habana Cigar Bar is a must visit for anyone on this ship. There is no smoking in this lounge and it is used mainly for dancing. The Music Boardwalk Band is wonderful and the lounge is a very comfortable place to sit and listen. The other must see area would be the Serenity Area. This was a nice peaceful area that I was even able to enjoy when it was raining.

Activities & Entertainment: The ship had the usual trivia and pool games that were enjoyable and fun to watch. The nightlife was always hopping on this ship. I touched on the Music Boardwalk Band earlier, but they are wonderful. I am not a Karaoke fan, but I enjoyed this area. The host was absolutely hysterical and this is worth visiting. As for the shows in the main theater, I thought that these were not as good as on past cruises. The one exception to this was the Beatles tribute show. This was the best show I have seen on any of my five cruises.

Kid's program: Our youngest enjoyed Camp Carnival most of the time and really loved the late night party. Our oldest was in Circle C and had the time of his life. He met several friends and they were all over the ship enjoying many activities.

Ports: We visited San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau. We hit a storm going through St. Thomas, so we stayed on the ship here, but other than that, we enjoyed all the ports.

Summary: We enjoyed our 8 days aboard the Freedom and would recommend this cruise to everyone. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Interior Riviera 1318

We had Cabin 1318. It was an inside cabin with the four of us. It was small, but served our purpose just fine.

We took the Pirate Ship adventure on this island. My Youngest enjoyed walking the plank off the ship and we all enjoyed floating in the ocean and relaxing. We did snorkel a bit on this excursion, but should have chosen to go to the beach instead. The water was not very clear due to the rough water, but we did see some fish and some even saw a sea turtle. After snorkeling, they opened the bar and the rum punch was very good. We enjoyed this excursion, but we will not do this next time.

Read 802 Antigua Reviews

We had a perfect weather day in Nassau. We chose to stay on the ship and enjoy the pool on this day. We had the entire pool area to ourselves. There was less than 10 people in this area from 12:00 to 3:00 P.M. We spent our time enjoying the pool and then went up to Serenity Area for rest of the day.

Read 2627 Nassau Reviews

We arrived in San Juan a little early and were allowed to get off the ship at 4:30 P.M. We caught the free trolley up to El Morro and were able to tour this for about 40 minutes. I had been here several times when I was a kid and wanted my boys to see this. The Fort closes at 6:00 P.M., so we walked back down the hill toward the ship visiting the old Church, San Juan Gate, the Governor's Mansion and a few shops along the way. We arrived back at the ship around 7:30 P.M. and decided to get back on the ship. My Wife's younger brother decided to go alone in San Juan and he took one of the tour buses outside and ended his evening in Senor Frogs.

Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

We went to the Baths in Virgin Gorda. We enjoyed the beach to the left far more than the one we started out on. If we go back again, we will spend all our time on this beach. The views were incredible and the water was perfect.

Read 501 Tortola Reviews