Carnival Dream Cruise Review by newcruisergal0710: Dream was a dream for me

newcruisergal0710
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Dream was a dream for me

Sail Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We just returned from our first cruise which we took aboard the Dream. The family that we went with had cruised a couple of times before with Carnival and we all agreed that this ship was just beautiful. Yes it was somewhat crowded but I never felt like I was on a boat with over 4000 other passengers. I also tried to take into account the fact that it is a new ship and the middle of summer which is a high travel time for people with kids.

The food was excellent and our waitstaff was both attentive and knowledgeable. One night we had to sail through a tropical storm. The seas were quite rough and a few of us were not feelig the greatest. Our headwaiter, Marjan told us exactly what to eat to help prevent any sickness and he was absolutely correct. None of us ended up getting sick. He and the rest of the team were wonderful and by the end of the trip it felt like you were leaving family behind when we had to say goodbye to them.

The food at the Gathering and the More different specialty bars was excellent as well. The pasta bar was absolutely delicious. It is all made to order with the ingredients that you choose so you do have to wait a few minutes for it but they give you a number and bring it to your table so you don't have to stand in line. I would also recommend the sandwich bar on the Lido deck as their sandwiches are very yummy.

The entertainment was really good (especially the comedians and they had four different ones) as were the shows with the Fun Force dance group, which is a group of break dancers who were amazingly talented. Kids and adults alike really seemed to enjoy their shows. The Dancing in the Streets show was great and I would highly recommend it if you like 80's music and lots of good dancing. They also had a Thriller dance class which was fun to watch and had a really high attendance and they also had a Michael Jackson tribute in Club Caliente one night which was lots of fun as was the 70's and 80's tribute night. You do need to arrive early to the shows if you want a good seat but that is the case with any show whether you are on a ship or not.

I had read on here that the boat felt very rough and I was very worried about that as this was my first cruise but I must say that other than when we were traveling through the storm where there were high seas and winds up to 60-70 mph it felt very smooth to me. As far as the smell people keep talking about yes it is definitely there especially on the lower decks toward the back but it is not super strong nor is it constant. More like something that you occasionally notice in passing. All of the staff that we came into contact with were very nice and our room steward was just great.

If you like a quiet place to relax and read or just unwind while on board then the Serenity Deck area is great! No children are allowed and they have very comfortable seating as well as a few hammocks to lie in. There are several areas to this and we found it quite a peaceful and relaxing place to unwind. One day it was quite hot and they handed out ice soaked towels which really helped to keep you cool. The family that was with us also did the putt putt and the slides which they really enjoyed but we stayed on the Serenity deck most of the time. If you want to get in the pool be prepared to be crowded but from what we have been told that is the case on all cruises so we were prepared for that.

Since I am a first time cruiser my expectations may not be as high as others and I tend to be fairly laid back but overall I was very pleased with this cruise and would definitely cruise this ship again. We actually all wished we could get off and then get right back on when we disembarked. It was a lovely first experience for myself and my husband and we can't wait to go again! Embarkation and debarkation were both very smooth. The group that we went with who had cruised before were very pleased with the process and said that they had worked out a lot of the issues that they had noticed in past cruises. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Main 2459

The cabin was small but quite clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. I got better sleep on the cruise than I have had in years. The steward was very friendly and attentive and did a great job with the towel animals.

We booked our own excursions at the different ports that we traveled to and enjoyed those quite a bit. In Nassau we got a Day pass to the Sheraton resort which was a lovely area. I definitely would not recommend their breakfast buffet though. It was $ 20 per person and NOT worth the money. Eat before you leave the boat if you do this excursion. We road jet skis while there and they gave you a very large area that you could ride within so it was very fun and you felt like you had some freedom to really get to ride. It was a short stay and this was a perfect way to spend it.

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

On St. Maarten we toured with a fellow named Guillermo "Gizmo" who was absolutely wonderful. We were supposed to be on a different tour but it was overbooked and we ended up with Gizmo who we absolutely loved. St. Maarten is a beautiful island and if you go, the beach by the airport is a must see. The planes come in literally right over your head and land just a few yards away from the beach. It is definitely a sight worth seeing. Also if you go to the beaches on the french side they have a nude area which is definitely not for children but most people on our tour (especially the guys) enjoyed getting their picture taken by the nude beach sign as it was a great photo opportunity. In my opinion this was the loveliest of the three islands although to be fair to St. Thomas it is really hard to tell what they had to offer when they are experiencing torrential rains and flooding. But St. Maarten's vibrant colors and beautiful architecture really appealed to me and my group and we even discussed coming back and staying at an all-inclusive there at some point.

In St. Thomas we toured with Sunny Liston. Unfortunately the tropical storm came in that day and we had very heavy flooding rains through the whole tour but he was very fun and tried to make the best of the situation for us. He does play loud music and sings along a lot so if you want a quiet tour this is definitely not the one for you. Sapphire beach was absolutely beautiful even in the pouring rain and the water was warm and gorgeous. I would love to see it in sunny weather. Megan's bay is supposed to be spectacular but unfortunately due to all of the rain and fog we couldn't see it. The shopping area is large and if you like jewelry or liquor you are set, otherwise there was not a lot to offer. They did have some great bargains on some really good knock-off purses at the flea market and they are definitely willing to bargain. I would definitely like a chance to come back to this island in the future and see what all it has to offer on a pretty day.

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews