Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Ollienbertsmum

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Ollienbertsmum
Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Member Name: Ollienbertsmum
Cruise Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Malaga
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: PR
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

A great summer break
I got a good late deal for this cruise. I read recent reviews of Adventure of the Seas after I booked. I was a bit worried about the negative comments, especially about the level of service, but I should not have been concerned. Either the crew got better, or the poor weather this spring affected passengers' perceptions of the ship.

I had my purse stolen on the short train journey from the airport. I could not praise the port staff highly enough for their help and lending me a phone so that I could cancel the cards. Thankfully I only lost a small amount of cash and not my passports which were beside the purse. It was my fault for not being careful enough...

Anyway we got over that crisis and got into our stateroom. This was our first cruise without our kids - how big the stateroom feels with only 2 in it!! We had a promenade view. It was very airy but we were right above the English bar and the noise when there was entertainment was annoying.

I had wondered how an internal would work out and if it would seem claustrophobic. Of course having your own balcony is fantastic - but given the difference in price I would not hesitate in getting an internal again.

The first thing I did was go an see the head waiter to change our dining reservation. We had first seating which is far too early for us. No problem changing and by the second night we were put on a table of couples of a similar age to us. They were all good company.

Malaga is a new port. The ship has attracted a high number of first time cruisers. We heard a few grumbles from other passengers but we were quite satisfied. Yes the Windjammer was jam packed if you went for lunch after 1.15 pm. The pool was not big enough to swim if you went in between 9 am and 9 pm. The ship is big and it was full!!

Possibly my biggest gripe was that there was a pool party on the same night as the second formal night. The suggested attire was white - I had nothing white to wear - and I was already dressed up, why would I change at that point? The party was crowded though, so I accept that I was in the minority.

We did not use the entertainment much, but there was plenty - I went to one show and the Ice Show and they were good - we never seemed to have time as we were just finishing our meal at 11.15, other table mates rushed off a couple of times but we were still talking. I went to a film which was a good way to spend an afternoon at sea and stay cool. If I had been bored there would have been a lot more to do. The point of my holiday was to relax so I didn't get around to it.

The ports were fairly low key - apart from Rome which is wonderful (we caught a local train in from Civitavecchia station), but they were all worth a wander around followed by a short dip in the sea. I could not have been able to join in a 'tour' - it was much too hot to stand around and listen to someone tell me about the birth of Napoleon or the Corsican fight for independence followed by a recommendation for which shop to visit.

The food all tasted good, but the cost of food has been lowered compared to our 2 previous cruises. The midnight buffet was nothing compared to last time. There were no lobsters or big steaks. I have still eaten too much. I never used the lift in an effort to keep fit - but have all my clothes suddenly shrunk ???

We used the bars on the Royal Promenade and the Cafe for late night cups of tea. They were never overcrowded - maybe because so many of the passengers were children. The drinks are not cheap but really our bill at the end of the week was not excessive. It would have been nice to have a big win in the casino to cover the bill, but I think that the machines were doing the most winning.

Publication Date: 07/27/10