Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by dmdiver: Liberty 7/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

1,620 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Liberty 7/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: July 2010

Landed at 11:22 am in Miami, caught a cab to the dock, got in line for check-in & on board getting ready to eat lunch by 12:10. Carried on all our luggage. A bit of a pain having to hang on to it, but so nice to be able to get unpacked & settled right away.

Ship is nice. I really liked the decor. Staff is pleasant.

I was pleased with how quiet it was on Empress deck. We only went to one of the production shows. This was our 5th cruise, so that just didn't interest us as much as the comedy shows. We went to all 4 comedians' shows, PG & R rated. We relaxed most of the time at the adult pool, reading, enjoying the pool & hot tubs. Our cabin steward, Connie & her assistant Iwanto? were great. They don't have foam to soften the beds, so Connie put a comforter under our sheets. It helped a tad, but I probably wouldn't ask anyone to do it again. We actually told her it was no big deal & not to bother with it, but she would have none of that. More

We did Your Time Dining this time & really liked it. Only one night was there a wait & it was only 15 minutes. We chose not to wait, though, because we wanted to make one of the comedy shows. We enjoyed meeting new people at dinner every night.

Really only 2 glitches that I can recall. One was that one of the tenders broke down at Half Moon Cay. We had to wait a LONG time to catch one out to the island as well as coming back to the ship. I didn't mark the time, but I think we waited about an hour and a half. I wasn't thrilled about that, but stuff like that happens. HMC is pretty & a buffet lunch was provided. Our soda stickers were also accepted there, so that is nice. Water is very salty, which makes it very easy to float or tread water.

Second glitch was missing Grand Turk. It was weather related, so no fault of CCL, but still a big disappointment. We ended up at Nassau instead. Stayed on the ship, as we have been there a couple of times already.

Self Assist Debarkation went smoothly, waiting on the cab by 8 am, on the plane by 9:08am (managed to catch an earlier flight). Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Interior Empress 7246

Cabin 7246 is an inside cabin. Great storage space, plenty of shelved in the bathroom. Posted pics on cruiselinerooms if you want to see it.

Never had been to San Juan, so I was looking forward to this port. We booked a walking tour through CCL. An air conditioned bus took us into Old San Juan. Don't remember exactly where they dropped us off, but we saw an old church surrounded by scaffolding. Not much to see due to the work being done. The cobblestone streets were blue - I took a pic, but it doesn't do them justice. We walked to El Morro, an old fort. It was really cool, with cannons and just very interesting. We also walked through the courtyard of the Ballajo barracks, didn't go inside, though. We went through a residential area - very narrow streets, pretty buildings. At the end of the tour, we had the option of staying with the guide to have a free drink - pina colada maybe? We opted to go on shopping, as did the rest of the group. You walk back to the ship. We were pretty tired, but still enjoyed it.

Read 1359 San Juan Reviews

We've been to St. Thomas before, so we didn't walk around town at all this time. We booked the Castaway Catamaran/Snorkel trip through CCL. The crew was entertaining. Sodas were served on the way to the snorkel site. There were lots of people at the snorkel site at Goat Island. I snorkeled near the group - got tired of the near misses of getting finned in the head. There were plenty of fish at the snorkel site & our guide dove down to get creatures to show us up close. There was a shipwreck that was cool. I was jealous of the divers down beneath us, though. Sodas & rum punch were served on the way back to the ship along with some chex mix. Tshirts were available for sale.

Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews