Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by merw: Seattle through Alaska July 4-11, 2010

Seattle through Alaska July 4-11, 2010

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Wow! What a trip. Hope you can go and experience exactly what we did.

Family of 6, grandma 78, dad 46, mom 45, teen boys 16, and teen girl 13. Everyone had the trip of a lifetime. Princess is the way to go! I think a lot depends on the weather and we were VERY blessed; not a drop of rain and sunny skies. I love to explore our options so I read every trip advisor/cruise critic I could find on every ship, port, and excursion and I am so glad I did because our trip was PERFECT (okay, I give God the credit for the weather :)

We had 3 cabins on the caribe deck with balconies on the right side of the ship. C515, C519, and C523. Get these cabins! We had our cabins overhang, but there was still one out farther than ours. It was perfect and make sure you get on the RIGHT side of the ship. Starboard? We saw about 50 dolphins swimming with the ship and as we were leaving Alaska, we saw lots of orcas.

When you first get on the ship you'll be offered to buy a soda More card, a soda and virgin drink card, or a coffee card. We bought each of our kids the soda/milkshake card. I think it was $70 each. One milkshake was $2.50. We had heard the coffee was bad so my husband brought those Starbucks singles. You could buy a coffee card for special coffees, but it was numbered exactly how many you got. I think 14? Anyway, the coffee was fine to me and my mom. The waiters were very easy going about the soda card, if only one person had theirs', it was still okay for the group. They put a sticker on your room card so it's nothing extra to carry.

We enjoyed the anytime dining. It was easy and the food is the same in all restarants so it's just the atmosphere that's different. The service is amazing and there are many people to help you. The food is really good, especially the seafood. Our boys enjoyed the hamburger and pizza line and at the buffet there was always something for everyone. We were worried about 'resort casual' clothes. Don't worry, we wore jeans and tennis shoes and it was just fine. On formal nights it was neat to see what people wore. There were a lot of people from different countries and their 'formal' clothes were beautiful. The staff has 42 different nationalities. I enjoyed hearing all their accents. High Tea every day was a must! Love those scones.

This cruise is for anyone. We went on a Carnival Cruise when our kids were younger. Seemed there were kids all over the place on that cruise and that it was loud, but we were going to the beach and people were sunbathing at the pools and we were right there with them. On this cruise, it seemed that the folks were older so instead of strollers there were motorized scooters. This was good because the pools weren't overcrowded, there was a kids club and activities for the kids to do. Our boys enjoyed the 'remix' for teens. When we were on the ship, we never saw our boys. They were with their friends or in the remix lounge.

The photographers were fantastic!!! With the unexpected sunny weather, our family all got sunburned and then it turned to tan. Great for a picture. We looked great! The photographers would take their time with you and pose you perfectly and not rush to get to the next person if the line was long. What a treat and at such great prices. Buy all your pictures at the end of your trip though. You might want to switch some out by the end. Also, look around at the back drops. Some were better than others. Also, when you go to port, get a picture taken, it's a darling backdrop and if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. It takes about 2 minutes.

Entertainment? Seems there was something for everyone. We enjoyed Kathy Slamp the naturalist, she grew up in Alaska and knew about everything. She gave 4 seminars and was nice enough to explain to us what we were seeing as we were seeing it. They piped her voice through the TV so we could hear her on our balcony as we went through Tracy Arm.

Tracy Arm - there is no guarantee you will go there or how close you will get. This is important to understand before you go. This is determined by the captain and the ice bergs. We got 4 miles out, I think to Salyer island? The cruise the week before us, got 2 miles closer but looked at the glacier in rain. That rain caused calving which gave us our ice bergs so we couldn't get closer but had clear sunshine to see what we could see. For the first time, Princess offered a little boat trip for $199 each that would take you closer. They got 2 miles closer and saw seals and a bear that we didn't see from the ship.

Do your research on your excursions or just do what we did. Princess offers many and it can be overwhelming. Also, if you book it your self you'll save some money (to spend on pictures - ha). When we got off the ship there were people with a big PRINCESS card in front of a big bus. We went to one person with just our name on the card and we were off. Also, smaller groups are more intimate and you aren't waiting for the 'late' person to leave. But if you book with Princess, they guarentee they won't leave you behind.

Our cruise was fantastic, as we were watching the tutorial on the TV about how to leave the ship, the guy ended with "God Bless". That sealed it for us, Princess is the way to go! Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja C515

Caribe deck cabins 515, 519, and 523. Get these. They're in the middle of the ship on the starboard side. Comfortable, quiet, and adjoining balconies.

Whale Watching with Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska Tours Eileen 1-866-909-7288

The best part about this excursion was the guide who drove us to the boat (Jack?). He picked us up right at the ship and drove us around town explaining everything. He is recently retired and was energetic, pleasant, and loved Juneau and sharing his town with us. He was like your favorite uncle. Then we go whale watching and man did we see whales, pods of orcas and a couple of humpbacks. Our captain, Pete, was delightful and also an Alaska native. Really knew his stuff. After the boat ride, Jack takes us to Mendenhall Glacier and explains what we are looking at and ecourages us to walk out there and go to the ranger station, then it's off to the fish hatchery (my favorite part of the entire cruise) and although it's closed, he explains it to us. Fascinating really how the whole thing works. Then Jack drives around town so we can run in some stores for some pictures and treats. Then he drops us back right at the ship. No worries.

Many questions for Eileen via email. She was very patient with me.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Bering Sea Crab Tour - Meg 1-888-239-3816 3 and 1/2 hours $159 or through Princess $179. Very low activity level. Heaters, windbreakers, seats, snacks, and drinks. HIGHLY RECOMMEND for everyone. Watch the video on their website. We saw at least 25 eagles eating fish from our boat. They were flying all over.

True Alaska Charters - Cassia - 1-866-882-2979 Went fishing with Captain Rowdy. Very pleasant man who worked hard getting the fishing gear ready. Boys loved this excursion!

Did not explore the town, too busy enjoying nature.

I ask a lot of questions and emailed them repeatedly. These gals were wonderful.

We added a quick tour of Seattle through Princess with our airport shuttle. We had about 3 hours to kill. We got on a huge bus and went to the Space Needle and Pike's Place market. Both were neat. Our bus driver was knowledgeable and a nice person. The frustrating part was that we lost 15 minutes at the market because one person held everyone up because she had to buy a teapot at the space needle gift shop. That wasn't the driver's or Princess's fault but the luck of the draw when you go with a big group.

Read 104 Seattle Reviews

Packer Expeditions Wade Gruhl 1-907-983-3005 Cell 1-907-612-0373

Went hiking the Denver Trail with Erin (the billygoat :)). Erin was our guide and she was fantastic! She is about 5' nothing and 100 pounds. She carried an 80 pound pack with all of our stuff and never complained. She has her masters in outdoor education so she really knew her stuff. Our entire family wants to adopt Erin! She was a real delight, knew what plants we could eat (and we did) knew where we could drink out of the stream (and we did), and knew it was worth it to get to the waterfall.

This was a combo trip, we rode the train, hiked with Erin, rode the train, and then hooked up with Dyea Dave for the ride down in his van.

David McCelland 1-907-209-5031

Dave is an interesting man who shared history and then cracked jokes. He was kind enough to wait for us as we ran in a store and bought some goodies.

This combo trip had never been done before, both men were quite helpful getting it together for me. Again, many questions from me...

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

Did not plan anything for this port. I was tired and kept getting conflicting reviews. Many people said not to even bother getting off the ship. They were wrong!!

I looked at the excurtions at the desk, many many people suggested Buchart gardens. Really? I had to sell this one HARD to my family. The ship was asking $79 a person. A friend got on the internet at the cafe and found out the tickets were only $28 for adults. What a rip off I thought. I can do better. Well...what I didn't know was that a cab ride out to the gardens was for four people for $51.50 one way. Yikes! We waited patiently for a 6 person cab (there weren't many). We got so blessed. Our cab driver quickly negotiated for us to stay with him for the evening. Wow! We saw Victoria, Mt. Russell, all the rabbits at the university, the Empress Hotel, the floating houses at the dock, and a lot more. What a pleasant man and wonderful tour guide.

Jaafar at Bluebird Cabs 1-250-884-0137