Carnival Glory Cruise Review by CarolineShea

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: CarolineShea
Cruise Date: July 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: OS

A Perfect Honeymoon on the Glory
My husband and I were married on July 9, and we cruised out of New York City on July 12th.

Embarkation: A breeze for us. We live in Delaware, so it was about a 3-hour drive to NYC. Once we were at the terminal, we were directed to the VIP Lounge (this is my husband's 14th Carnival cruise and you're considered a Platinum member after 10). It was very comfortable and the people were very friendly. It took about ten minutes from when we arrived at the terminal to when we headed up the gangway.

Dining: Very good. The dining room service was phenomenal. The drinks are fairly pricey, but they were always of good quality. My husband and I are both vegetarians which makes things a little tougher, but we still ate very well. It seems that all the Carnival ships have the same dinner menu, and since we can only order the vegetarian option, it would be nice to see some variety, but the meals are always cooked to perfection. We usually ate lunch on Lido and it was good, standard buffet fare; one of the days we ate lunch in the main dining room and it was excellent. We usually ordered room service for breakfast like the lazy bums we are. :)

Public rooms: Lovely. The Glory is a gorgeous ship. I'd been on the Glory in 2007(Cozumel/Belize/Costa Maya/Nassau) and both times I was awed by both how beautiful the decor is and how nicely it is kept.

Entertainment: Okay. We did the "Super Trivia" and it turned out to be incredibly dumb. I showed up for charades and left because the woman running it looked bored out of her skull and it was horribly organized AND it was in a terrible spot on the ship. We also did Bingo, and went to the champagne art auction which, despite my not buying anything, was AWESOME. I loved the art auctioneer and it was totally fascinating to watch. Besides the champagne, I also got a free print just for showing up. Coolness.

Cabin: AMAZING. His mother-in-law totally spoiled us by booking us an Ocean Suite, which was spacious and luxurious. And it being our honeymoon,I'll confess we spent a decent amount of time in the room. Gorgeous bathroom with a whirlpool bathtub and separate dressing area, spacious bedroom, and a double-sized balcony. The room was kept in impeccable order by Wi,our room steward.

St. John was kind of so-so, we didn't do any excursions but we wandered around (in the pouring rain - we looked very stylish in our ponchos). We found a couple local shops, ate a delicious lunch at a Thai restaurant, and went to the New Brunswick Museum (not very interesting, in my personal opinion).

Halifax, as always, was gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. The people are so warm, there is SO much to do, and the scenery is just breathtaking. I loved it and wished I could have stayed longer. If you're ever there, go to Grafton and Market Sts. and eat at a restaurant called The Wooden Monkey. A totally awesome independent restaurant with delicious vegetarian/vegan options, free-range meat, and locally grown fruits and vegetables.

In conclusion, we had a fantastic honeymoon. Shame that life has to get back to normal, but thanks, Carnival Glory - we owe you one!

Publication Date: 07/21/10