Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by chloemonkey

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by chloemonkey
Mariner of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Member Name: chloemonkey
Cruise Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: RS
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Mariner of the Seas.........B- at best!
We have sailed the Mexican Riviera around 15 times or so and were looking forward to the Mariner of the Seas. We had 4 Owner's suites for my four daughters and parents and we had the Royal Suite. The suites are nice (the Royal always is!) but they are showing their wear. Many things in the Royal were not working.....a couple broken cupboard doors, refrigerator didn't work. Nothing huge but bothersome when you are spending so much money. I mean if they don't keep up these rooms I wonder what the others are like?

Food was really the worst part.....we are not that picky but were astounded at how much the quality and selection had suffered. We have cruised Carnival, Princess, RCI, NCL (last October)and Sitmar years ago....and although we understand that things are not as they were 15 - 20 years ago, even our daughters and son in laws who are in their twenties, could not believe how bad the food had become.

The service was good to excellent - no problem there. We especially enjoyed the Concierge Lounge and the staff there. Allan Fajardo was just wonderful and truly the highlight of the trip. But again, the appetizers were the exact same every night...surely they could rotate or something? We chose to eat in the specialty restaurants three times due to the quality of the food in the dining room. Again, the wait staff were wonderful and it is not their fault that the food is so bad!

The casino was ok - seemed a bit small to us as we spend MOST of our time there and are all really heavy gamblers. The casino player's club is a joke however. I had accumulated over 5000 points before I was ever approached to become a member. No free drinks or anything as other lines do. I think after 5000 points (don't even ask me how much money this is but suffice it to say it is in the thousands of dollars played!) I qualified for $40 cash back at the end of the trip. I have been offered free suites on other Player's Clubs after just one cruise. But we did win so that was good! As many cruise ship casinos are "tight" with the payouts. The casino manager was not my favorite by a long shot.....She was ALWAYS on the microphone and sounded as though she were inviting a bunch of kindergardners to come and play bingo or something. She really needs to be quiet a bit and let everyone enjoy the playing...

Ports - Same old same old...but we love just going to a hotel at each port and being on the beach. We did love Krystal Resort massages though! Thanks Cruise Critic people for all of the recommendations! We will surely go back there as that was the best massage (all 7 of us that had one agreed!) and for $40 for a 75 minute massage....well worth the short trip there from the dock in Puerto Vallarta! Leonard is the manager and is just awesome...

Activities onboard - Again...same old same old. I really wish that they would come up with SOMETHING new for those of us that have been on multiple cruises.

Bar waiters - I don't ever remember having waiters ask if you wanted to order a drink so many times before! While out on the pool deck sunbathing, I swear that I heard "drink service" every 20 - 30 seconds or so. But maybe these guys are under the gun to sell - so probably not their fault. But it did get annoying as even with your eyes closed they would still stop and ask...

We will not be booking RCI anytime soon. The prices that they are charging are just not justified as the cruise is just your run of the mill....we had much better service, accomodations and FOOD on NCL in October. I do not understand how RCI can continue to charge more than comparible lines when they really do not offer anything special? I will seriously consider NCL for a second time before I would pay RCI prices. If the food were better I could at least consider it but I have had just as good food at Hometown Buffet. Cutbacks are a "b...." but for RCI prices I think we have other options.

So although we had a great time, everyone asked me to PLEASE not book RCI again....so that also says something....

Publication Date: 07/21/10