Carnival Victory Cruise Review by tracey7777

Destination: Southern Caribbean
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Great Time Which I Planned Well
This is a great cruise for someone who likes to plan ahead and I did a great job, I must say. This is our fifth cruise and our third on Carnival.

Arrival into San Juan went just as planned except for Delta losing one of my bags. No problem, they sent it onto our hotel, the Sheraton Old San Juan, and it arrived that evening.

The Sheraton was nice, but I shouldn't have paid as much for it. Being a holiday weekend, July 4th, I wanted to be sure to get a room. In hindsight, I paid way too much at $300. But, I won a little playing blackjack and it evened itself out. The casino was nice but small. The area around the hotel was convenient and the CVS right down the block was essential to us. They sell beer and wine - we found we could take a six pack of beer per room onto the boat as well as the wine.

We walked around and found a restaurant I had read about called Barrachina, home of the Pina Colada. The food was decent, but way overpriced. I was surprised when I got the bill for four pina coladas at $12 a piece and a total of $160 for an okay meal. I'm not cheap, but it sure didn't seem worth it.

The next day we had a fabulous time eating street food in San Juan. The tree lined streets are gorgeous. We went to El Morro before boarding and had a great time. This is a beautiful fort.

We boarded around 2:30pm with a little waiting - not a problem. Our rooms were nice - typical Carnival interior room. Our room steward came in and introduced himself - he did a great job.

The food was fine - the same as our last cruise in March on Carnival Valor. It would have been nice to have a little variety, but it was good. The beverage service in the dining room as horrible. In fact, we left a few days without signing our bill. Our waiter told us to after we waited so long for her to come back. We never had more than one glass of wine and would catch up with her the next day. Service in general was a little slow in the dining room, but we are not very patient people.

The best part of our trip was the islands which I review on their port reviews. Each day was super and the weather was perfect for us. Such a great trip!

Publication Date: 07/19/10