Viking Truvor Cruise Review by BlueAngel1009: Greata First Viking Experience

Greata First Viking Experience

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: St. Petersburg

This was our first big river cruise and we are so happy that we chose Viking. Our cabin was small, but adequate. We had a wonderful view of the river (unless we were tied up next to another ship in port). I brought my computer and internet access, though spotty, was adequate.

Meals were fabulous. Each one was a winner, some better than others. The restaurant staff, all Filippino, were excellent. We loved Mary Jane, our waitress.

The ship staff was pleasant, though not all spoke English and sometimes I met a blank stare when I attempted to get information at the front desk, but someone else was along soon enough to answer my question.

There were varying degrees of competence among the tour guides. Some were excellent performers, others were not, though they had great command of the information. (Sadly, we did not have one of the better performers).

There were several activities, including lectures, Russian lessons, a Gershwin concert, a talent More show, a couple of special dinners, lessons on buying gifts, and of course the vodka tasting. Special notice must be given to Victoria's lecture on Gorbachev...best lecture of the whole trip.

Material I read before the cruise said there were spa and massage (and hairdressing) facilities on board. We never saw sign of those, but the ship had been recently renovated and perhaps those were eliminated with the remodeling.

Most of the optional excursions were well worth the money, though Moscow by night was less spectacular than I expected.

I loved the opportunity for all the musical performances.

This was our first trip with Viking and from reports I have read, people are not all satisfied with it. If this is one of their "less satisfying" cruises, I look forward to one that gets high marks from everyone, because I certainly give this one high marks. Less

Read more Viking Truvor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Truvor Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Truvor 203

Tiny, but adequate. Nice large windows, with good view. Across from gift shop area. Fairly quiet, but we could definitely hear conversations in rooms with which we shared a wall. Shower fairly small, but I am a large person and could cope.