Diamond Princess Cruise Review by luvtotravelanddine

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Diamond Princess Cruise Review by luvtotravelanddine
Diamond Princess
Diamond Princess
Member Name: luvtotravelanddine
Cruise Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Whittier
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: BB
Cabin Number: C527
See More About: Diamond Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Diamond Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Diamond Princess Deck Plans
When my husband and I decided to book an Alaskan Cruise I always said I would go on Princess Cruise after my many years of watching the "Love Boat" and the one episode of the TV show crusing Alaska I always knew we would go on the "Love Boat" as well. Well wehen I researched the various ships on Princess I wanted a large ship so I had room to walk around and not feel crowded, We chose the Diamond Princess as our ship and we wanted a balcony for the cruise. This ship has 748 balconies. We were told by the Cruise line that we would want the Caribe deck as there was no walkway in front of the balcony. The Balconies are partially private as you can still see balconies above and below you and you can talk to your neighbors next door as well as it just has a partition but that was fine as we are friendly and it was nice to talk to other passengers. I am only mentioning as some people want total privacy and you will not. Our cabin was very clean and our steward was very attentive. We had ample closet room in which I was surprised for a cruise ship and in room safe. The bathroom was ok size the shower was a little tight but after all I am on a cruise ship.

This ship offered the traditional dining and also offered anytime dining with 4 choices of dining rooms. FYI they do take a limited amount of reservations each day so if you don't want to wait to eat it is recommended that you make reservations if there is a certain time that you want to eat when you choose anytime dining.

There were five pools including an adult only pool. A small miniature golf coarse casino, spa, theatre standard fare on most cruise ships.FYI in November this ship will be adding movies under the stars one of the 1st ships in the fleet to not have it yet sorry we will miss this feature as I would have enjoyed watching a movie under the stars like being in a drive-in oh well next time. We really enjoyed the lounge with the piano bar in the evening it was a nice way to unwind before bed. This was a plus there was 24 hour food service some cruises just have food up until midnight but not this ship they had food available 24 hours now it is not a full menu but they call it a snack for the late night snackers which is a nice feature. They also had an ice cream parlor and a grill out on one of the pool decks this pool has a retractable roof which was nice as cruising Alaska can be cold but you could still sit out by the pool and not freeze since it had the retractable roof we spent a lot of time on this deck.

Room Service was excellent we did use it on our day cruising the Glaciers and they offered a nice menu of choices. We ended up ordering Hot Dogs from the grill and they were delivered nice and hot and they were so good. We actually ended up ordering a second round of food and it was brought very timely. The food on the ship was pretty good and decent choices. The desserts were yummy and they even had one called the "Love Boat" We had two dress up nights while on this cruise the captains dinner and the formal night. They also had an awesome dance party in the atrium on the formal night which was a blast. I do recommend getting the coffee card that they offer for an additional fee if you like you lattes and mocha's as those are all in additional fee so it will add up on the course of the cruise they give you 15 specialty drink choices on the card and unlimited hot tea, hot chocolate and coffee this way you can get these items at the bar and not have to get your coffee and tea at the 24 hour dining room a plus if you are on the go. The staff was great and helpful. The shore excursions were expensive but very organized. I had a great experience and would travel on this ship again.

Publication Date: 07/19/10
Read the Alaska ports review by luvtotravelanddine
More Diamond Princess Cruise Reviews