Diamond Princess Cruise Review by luvtotravelanddine:

Compare Prices on Diamond Princess Alaska Cruises

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Whittier

When my husband and I decided to book an Alaskan Cruise I always said I would go on Princess Cruise after my many years of watching the "Love Boat" and the one episode of the TV show crusing Alaska I always knew we would go on the "Love Boat" as well. Well wehen I researched the various ships on Princess I wanted a large ship so I had room to walk around and not feel crowded, We chose the Diamond Princess as our ship and we wanted a balcony for the cruise. This ship has 748 balconies. We were told by the Cruise line that we would want the Caribe deck as there was no walkway in front of the balcony. The Balconies are partially private as you can still see balconies above and below you and you can talk to your neighbors next door as well as it just has a partition but that was fine as we are friendly and it was nice to talk to other passengers. I am only mentioning as some people want total privacy and you will not. Our cabin was very clean and our steward was very attentive. We had More ample closet room in which I was surprised for a cruise ship and in room safe. The bathroom was ok size the shower was a little tight but after all I am on a cruise ship.

This ship offered the traditional dining and also offered anytime dining with 4 choices of dining rooms. FYI they do take a limited amount of reservations each day so if you don't want to wait to eat it is recommended that you make reservations if there is a certain time that you want to eat when you choose anytime dining.

There were five pools including an adult only pool. A small miniature golf coarse casino, spa, theatre standard fare on most cruise ships.FYI in November this ship will be adding movies under the stars one of the 1st ships in the fleet to not have it yet sorry we will miss this feature as I would have enjoyed watching a movie under the stars like being in a drive-in oh well next time. We really enjoyed the lounge with the piano bar in the evening it was a nice way to unwind before bed. This was a plus there was 24 hour food service some cruises just have food up until midnight but not this ship they had food available 24 hours now it is not a full menu but they call it a snack for the late night snackers which is a nice feature. They also had an ice cream parlor and a grill out on one of the pool decks this pool has a retractable roof which was nice as cruising Alaska can be cold but you could still sit out by the pool and not freeze since it had the retractable roof we spent a lot of time on this deck.

Room Service was excellent we did use it on our day cruising the Glaciers and they offered a nice menu of choices. We ended up ordering Hot Dogs from the grill and they were delivered nice and hot and they were so good. We actually ended up ordering a second round of food and it was brought very timely. The food on the ship was pretty good and decent choices. The desserts were yummy and they even had one called the "Love Boat" We had two dress up nights while on this cruise the captains dinner and the formal night. They also had an awesome dance party in the atrium on the formal night which was a blast. I do recommend getting the coffee card that they offer for an additional fee if you like you lattes and mocha's as those are all in additional fee so it will add up on the course of the cruise they give you 15 specialty drink choices on the card and unlimited hot tea, hot chocolate and coffee this way you can get these items at the bar and not have to get your coffee and tea at the 24 hour dining room a plus if you are on the go. The staff was great and helpful. The shore excursions were expensive but very organized. I had a great experience and would travel on this ship again. Less

Read more Diamond Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Diamond Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Diamond Princess Oceanview Obstructed Emerald C527

Great closet space, nice in room safe FYI please remove belongings on your last night before midnight as the safe resets and you cannot get your items out and have to call security as this happened to us luckily they cam with in 20 minutes but it could take up to an hour to get them to respond. The showers were tight and water leaked out of the pan due to having a drape and if the ship rocks the water goes with it so beware. Great Balcony not fully private but that was ok and plenty of place to sit for four and enjoyed the views. Pretty quiet as we were mid ship Caribe desk is highly recommended if you want quiet. They do not recommend the Lido deck as that has a lot of activity unless you want to be where all the action is.

(5.5)
This port was a short walk to town. Juneau was a very nice town plenty of places to shop and eat. My personal favorite was the Glacier Smoothie Soap company handmade soaps from Alaska. Lot's of handmade Alaska items for sale. We took the Best of Juneau Shore Excursion at the Time it was about $179 per person. Very organized by Princess. We boarded a bus through town and received the Highlights and than we went to the pier to board our boat for the Whale Watch and they guarantee you will see a whale or get back $99 so you know you are pretty destined to see a whale. We saw five. Included was a stop at Orcas Lodge owned by the Whale Boat company for a delicious salmon back some of the best Salmon that I have had. After our whale watch we boarded back on the bus to go to see the Mendenhall Glacier. This glacier is disappearing slowly so it is well worth to see it before it is gone.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

This port was the furthest port from town during all of our stops. We decided on the Canopy Zip Line Tour for this stop once again Princess did a fantastic job of having it well organized. You zip through the rainforest in Kethcikan it had 5 zip lines and a rope bridge challenge, these zip lines were not for the fain of heart. I would call it an extreme zip line as they had the fastest one and long one. I had never gone and was scared but did conquer my fear. It was well run and never felt unsafe but it was still scary and at the end they give you a medal and snacks for you feet. You can also purchase a picture of you on the last zip line. The tough cost about $179 per person at the time we went and the souvenir photo cost about $20.00 Once back in town we walked the fishing town of Kethickan and it was a beautiful scenic town lined with shops art galleries and restaurants. We walked a further back into town and that is where they had some really reasonable souvenir shops as well as a little cafe called Ketchikan Coffee where we stopped for a latte on our way back to the ship. But stated earlier it is a walk back to the ship so allow time so you don't miss you boat. FYI there is a shuttle that is at the port but beware he only make two stops and he is paid to stop at these two souvenir shops and you will need to walk from there and if there is not enough people he will not be back for you so do not wait for him start walking back to the boat as you may miss the boat as we waited and than realized he was not coming back so glad we walked as once we boarded we were one of 10 passengers not accounted for as we had the other 5 with us and encouraged them to walk back we soon left port as we boarded so we cut it close.

(5.5)
We arrived at Skagway and our shore excursions we booked. Princess was very organized once we disembarked. Our bus was waiting and we boarded. We drove through the town of Skagway it is just a little town spanning only a few blocks still very rural. We took the Yukon & Whitepass Railway excursion. At the time of booking it was about $179 per person. It included a scening bus ride for about four hours with a stop for a BBQ lunch at Caribou crossing. You do need your passports as you cross into Canada on this excursion. After lunch we drove back into a town of Whitehorse and boarded the train back to Skagway about a 2 hour train ride and there are restrooms on the train and on the bus. Please bring your own snacks and drinks on the train as there was nothing available to eat or drink. The train ride was scenic as you went through the Yukon Pass. I highly recommend this excursion as this is good for anyone of any age including people with disabilities as there was not a lot of walking involved. Once back in Skagway we walked through the town and walked through the stores and they had several bars and restaurants. It was also a short walk to the ship. Very enjoyable.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

This was the Departure Port. I have to say it was one of the most beautiful ports that I have seen. It was in rural Whittier surrounded by water, mountains and trees. It was a nice scenic drive from Anchorage as it took about an hour to get from the airport to the ship but it was such beautiful scenery the time flew. We traveled along Seward Hwy and saw part of the Kenai Peninsula along the way. We even had to travel through this one way tunnel that Whittier is known for as it shares the tunnel with the train.