Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by ppines

Cruise Date: July 2010
Cabin Category: D5
Entertainment 5+

The Best Floating City!
Here's my take on the Oasis experience: I have traveled on RCL many times before...on the Freedom last year and loved it! Wanted to try Oasis for my parents 60th anniversary.

- Arrival at the port by 12:00-boarding was a breeze in 15 minutes. Room was ready by 1:00 sharp! - A little disappointed on the bon voyage fruit and cheese basket sent by my daughter to my parents room. It did not arrive until 4:00 and was not real professional looking- a couple of oranges, apples, bananas, kiwis and 3 strawberries in a bowl wrapped in saran wrap. Not worth the $$. Luggage arrived in the room by 3:00. - Balcony & room was clean, nice flat screen TV, spacious enough for 2 people and comfy bed. But the electrical outlets were difficult for the parents to use.

- My Time dining reservations were made ahead of time online - but I think it would be better to wait to see the activities of the day before choosing a time to eat. We missed out on some things I wanted to do because my parents wanted to eat early. Sat at the same table every night with a very entertaining waiter, Levante, and bus boy, Andy. Food was average, too many dishes served with mashed potatoes, portions small; best dinner was lobster. - Specialty restaurant at Giovanni's was just OK - but I guess you get what you pay for...$15 is just above average food.

- A variety of free venues for food was great... Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade, Donut shop, breakfast at Johnny Rockets, Park cafe(great roast beef sandwiches) Solarium Bistro, and of course the Windjammer. The only surprise in the WJ was the $2.95 charge for fresh OJ.

- Entertainment was the best part! Be sure to make your reservations early...so you don't miss anything. Hairspray was my favorite. The Aqua shows were fantastic as we look over the back of the ship. Just need to get a seat early for the shows, especially if you want to sit in the shade. And of course the best Cruise Director, Richard Spacey, was the hit of EVERY show.

- The Royal Promenade was very spacious- the feeling of being in a mall. But the shops were a little overpriced. And there was no drugstore.

- The prettiest area was Central Park - especially at night. - The 4 pool areas accommodated many sun worshippers and non- sun bathers on several decks, with many lounge chairs. The Solarium was very nice adult area.

- Unfortunately - we had to pay a visit to the medical facility for a sprained ankle- but Dr. Taylor was very nice to my mom. Not surprised by the $200 charge for 2 x-rays and dr. consultation. - Mom had her hair done in the salon - was quoted one price ($55) when we inquired and then when we went, charged a higher price for a hair cut and blow dry $68. Not very good policy.

- The interactive screens near the 18 elevators was a great idea. No need to carry around your "cruise compass" activities sheet.There is so much to do! -The downside were the ports of call. We docked at all 3 stops, but the piers were a very long walk for 2 elderly people. Fortunately, Labadee had men waiting with wheelchairs for my parents. There were many shady places to relax on the beach... but the walk was never ending. Costa Maya was my least favorite place.... nothing to do there unless you wanted to climb the ruins. Thank goodness a trolley was available to take you to the end of the pier. Cozumel was not too bad of a walk, but it rained on our tour. No refunds! I would not suggest taking the western cruise.

- Disembarkation was very organized and quick. Docked by 6:00am and we left exactly when we were scheduled - 7:30 a.m. Kudos to RCL! - Overall, onboard ship experience was unbelievable! When you see the ship docked next to another ship, you realize how really big it is! I never felt crowded or overwhelmed with 6000+ passengers aboard.

Publication Date: 07/19/10