Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Sandra: NEARLY A NIGHTMARE

NEARLY A NIGHTMARE

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We too have just returned from a 7 day cruise on Thompson's Dream from 6 - 13 July. Below are our experiences on the Dream:

We booked our holiday in January to celebrate my 60 birthday. We were told it was a new ship but I did read the brochure and realised that it was not new but new to Thompson's quite misleading we think. Thomson Dream. It's our biggest and most luxurious ship yet is what they advertise, I would hate to see their worst! We were also told that it was adults only, we know it says in the brochure up to beginning of July no children, but they were still telling people who booked 2 weeks before going that it was adults only.

After a 7 hour delay at Luton Airport, where information from Thompson's staff was non-existent and farcical - no information as to why there was a delay, running out of vouchers for lunch and sending us all to the wrong gate and eventually when we were all waiting to board informing us there were no crew to fly the plane. A crew More did turn up after a while and we boarded the plane.

Our first impressions of the ship were disappointing, the cabin was definitely shabby although it was clean and no smells. The excellent cabin steward, Haryo, looked after us very well. We decided to go to the buffet for our first evening meal, big mistake dirty tablecloths, plastic plates and cold food. This was not what we expected of a 5* ship!

Second day improved once we tried the Orion restaurant, excellent waiter service very efficient and friendly, although at night service was slow. The food was good.

The entertainment was excellent; as good as any West End shows that we have seen. All of the singers had wonderful voices. Mr & Mrs was the funniest thing we've seen for a long time. 10* I would give all of the them.

We only went on one trip to Sorrento and Pompeii, we were disappointed that the advertised train journey in the brochure was not available but the guide on the coach was excellent, very informative and very funny. All the other places we visited we found our own way around.

Despite all the problems we did have a wonderful holiday but I agree with many of the reviews that this ship should not have been advertised as 5* and should have had many improvements carried out before taking paying passengers.

After the refurbishment I should imagine the Dream will be the dream ship that it's advertised as, the staff on there certainly deserve it to be, as do the customers and I hope Thompson's take notice of these reviews. Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Dream 6205

Cabin needs refurbishing and we could hear engine noise at night, which did keep us awake sometimes. As we booked in January I did expect a better cabin than this one

Went on the open topped bus and really enjoyed the experience of visiting Barcelona

(5.5)
Excellent tour of Sorrento and Pompeii, excellent guide, very informative and funny, Had a lovely lunch recommended by the guide. Was disappointed that the train journey to Pompeii was not available but still enjoyed the visit very much.

Read 652 Naples Reviews