Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Christine Simpson

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Christine Simpson
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: Christine Simpson
Cruise Date: June 2009
Cabin Category: D1
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+

Smitten and Bitten
Our first cruise and we wanted to pick a superior ship and a company with a good reputation to make our trip memorable. Holidaying with friends to celebrate joint silver weddings, we met up in Miami. We left our island in the North Sea that morning but fog delays meant we missed our connection to USA but efficient airline staff re-routed us via London, Boston and onto Miami in time for supper. Our friends were flying from Bergen in Norway and they were also delayed en route and arrived after midnight minus their luggage (which eventually caught up with them four days later). Well done to Royal Carribean staff for kitting them out for most of the cruise, including handbags and accessories!

We had a brilliant time aboard although I would recommed a longer cruise as I never got round to seeing all of the ship and everything it had to offer. The food was superlative, in fact it was on the third day at breakfast before we realised that the area we were making our choices in was only a fraction of the total breakfast experience.

Each day we visited a different island and went ashore for the excursions. Arriving back exhausted, we would change for dinner and then enjoy the theatre show. The staff were more than pleasant and extremely helpful.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, I got bitten by a bug. My foot became sore and so I went to the onboard medical station. The only critisim I have was that it was only open for a couple of hours a day. As we were going on excursions, and the queues were long, twice I gave up and joined my husband and friends rather than wait and miss our trip. By the time we left the ship I had a bad infection but ignorance coupled with looking forward to going home to see my children, resulted in my ingoring the pain and headed for the airport. Seven hours later, arriving in London my leg had swollen badly and I ended up in hospital for seven days on an intravenous drip and almost had my left leg amputed. The doctor even told my sister I might not survive.

I hasten to add that none of the above was the fault of the cruise and that it has not put me off. In fact, I look forward to taking another one so that I can enjoy what is on offer and not be the misery that I suspect I was with my sore foot!

Publication Date: 07/18/10