Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Thirdcruise

Member Name: Thirdcruise
Cruise Date: July 2010
Cabin Category: 8B

Noisy room
This was my third cruise in the last 12 months, second on CCL. This time I was with 10 people on the cruise. Will try and be objective about my experience on this cruise but it may have been my worst cruise experience yet.

Ship decor and layout - The decor was not as bad as I expected based on some other reviews, and it was much better than when I sailed the Pride last year. The layout was another story. Could not make it from one end of the ship to the other on three decks because the Chic restaurant was smack in the middle. Had to go up or down to get to the other end. Very odd.

Food - Had the early seating in the Chic dining room. Our head waitress (Joan) was very good, ashame her helper was not. Every meal I had, but one, in the dining room was excellent. The other one was good but not up to the other meals standards. The Lido buffet food was pretty good but the layout is odd and the lines long. After a few days we figured out the best times to go, or what station to go to, to avoid the lines.

Entertainment - Overall it was good. The adult comedian early in the cruise, and Ticket to Ride was very good. There was a singer/comedian from England. Good voice but comedy (or attempt at it) was bad. Carnival Legends was bad, the Frank Sinatra guy (Raul) must of practiced all his life for this chance. I considered trying out against him but was afraid he may jump off the ship.

Casino - Let me preface this by saying I did win a little in the casino. Only had one five dollar blackjack table, tough to get on, so I mostly played the ten dollar one. The disappointing part was about half the dealers were down right rude. Had one tell me I was cheap for not playing fun pairs. Was part of an entire table that got up and went to another table because of another dealers rude attitude. I do not mind losing in a casino, part of the risk of playing, but do not want to be treated rudely while playing.

Excursions - In Cozumel most of us did the Adventure land Zip-line and Snorkeling. Do not know if it was because it was the first time we did this or what but it was very enjoyable. Would recommend it. Limon I stayed on board but other members of my group went either Horseback riding or White Water rafting and they all enjoyed it. Panama I went on the canal tour. Interesting and all but a very LONG day. Would be much nicer if it was a shorter excursion.

Cabin - This was my biggest complaint. The first day at sea I went under the bed to get something and found the previous tenants sneakers under the bed, makes me wonder how well the room was turned over. Also first day the air conditioning did not work but maintenance quickly fixed it. Cabin steward was sociable and did an over all good job. But the biggest issue was the NOISE because the cabin was directly above the casino bar. Could not take an afternoon nap or go to bed before 12:30/1 because of it, especially if Danny was playing (BTW he is not that good, I had a week of listening to him over and over). This impacted three of our four cabins. They could not change our cabins because the cruise was full. Carnival did compensate us for the noise and such, and while appreciated, would rather of had a quiet cabin. Wish they would tell this to people when booking these rooms.

Conclusion - May have been my worst cruise experience, based primarily on the room noise. Aside from that, and the dealers in the casino, it was pretty good. I will sail CCL again, primarily because I already have a CCL cruise booked for December. However if I have a similar experience in December I will be going back to RC.

Publication Date: 07/15/10