Thomson Dream Cruise Review by dazman: Dream on

Dream on

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Las Palmas

Having just returned , 6/7/10 to 13/7/10, from cruise on the new Thomson Dream I have to agree with many of the statements on this and other websites

Yes the ship was a big let down. We believed we were going on a newly refurbished ship but we found out the ship itself is 25 year old and the decor confirmed this.

We were located near the rear of the ship on level 5 and had to suffer the smell of diesel on three separate occasions when the ship re-fuelled. The diesel smell woke me up and you could taste it in your mouth. My wife was sick one morning because the smell was so strong.

The smell of the diesel was also very strong all day on desks 9 and 10 when it was docked at Barcelona.

One day we also had to suffer a strong smell of sewerage all day, we reported this to customer services, who said they would send someone up the Deck 9 but we never seen anyone. We were told by another customer that they were removing the sewage off the boat. More

Also at the rear of the boat soot regularly (every day) came out of the boat chimney and landed on customer's clothes, towels and outside tables were people ate. I personally saw a large piece of soot, as big as a golf ball land on a man's foot. Our towels

The decks were washed each evening most likely to wash away the soot

Unlike many of the comments I thought the choice of ports was poor. We never got to La Goulette in Tunisia because we were told that the port in La Goulette could not provide us with fresh water. Instead we were re-routed to Cagliari in Sardinia, which angered a lot of guests. Not much to see in Caglairi. Naples was not better, road dangerous to cross, dirty and lots of pick pockets. My wife spoke to an elderly couple who had been pick pocketed100 yards from the ship and only got their money by shouting for the police. We heard of other incidents as well. Next we went back to Obia Sardinia, again nothing to see. We did however like Toulon and Barcelona but most of the shops in Toulon (Sunday) were shut and we were warned by Thomson's that to be careful of pick pockets in Barcelona. Why Thomson's send people to dangerous cities is beyond me.

Sorry but Thomson's have been sold a dud from Costa cruises. The ship is old and full of faults.

All the negative publicity has to be doing Thomson's harm but no one from Thomson seems to be doing anything about passengers concerns. Head in the sand comes to mind. We complained to the Customer Service desk about the sewage smell on the decks 9 and 10 which was there all day and made you want to boak if you breathed through your nose.

Why was there no senior management of Customer Services manger walking around the ship addressing the issues ?????.

The Customer Services desk was poor, they need to record all complaints and provide each customer with an incident number and a resolve the issues raised.

Entertainment was OK. The quizzes and game shows in the Medusa Ballroom was dated. The music shows in the Atlante Theatre became a bit 'samey' and have I have seen them in different guises before on the other Thomson ships.

The food was okay. We ate in the Orion restaurant 5 nights.

The buffet self service restaurants Andromeda was poorly designed and most days you had to queue for your food.

The best restaurant was the Grill which cost an additional £20 per head but the food and service was excellent.

Other complaints, we spoke to a young couple who were on their honeymoon whose toilet only worked twice all week, another couple had no air-conditioning, another couple's room was under the disco which went onto the early hours of the night, another couple got no sleep because they room was beside the engineer room and the cold water went off for 10 minutes when I was having a shower.

As for the entertainment, food and service similar to the other Thomson cruises. Rooms were larger and better equipped.

Its all down to luck, if you get a good room with no faults and located in the right part of the ship but if you encounter problems then your are stuck. The Ship is full and you will not be moved.

Personally I liked I doubt if I will ever go back on the Thomson Dream. It should never have been put into operation until it was in good working order.

If I was to give the Thomson Dream ship a quality rating, it would only get 3 stars. My holiday was not a complete disaster because we met a lot of nice people but the ship should never had been allowed to go into service until the problems had been resolved

Thomson has put this ship out knowing that it has problems and are trying to bodge their way through the season

SHAME ON THOMSON'S !!!!!!!!!!! Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Dream 5051

The cabins are on the Thomson Dream are larger and more comfortable than on the Destiny and Celebration but this would not be hard. Rooms also have a fridge and electronic safe at no extra charge. The shower is quite large too, plenty of space for clothes etc as well. Stayed in an outside cabins on level 5 to the rear of the ship a number of days the a strong smell of diesel Rooms also have with a bigger standard TV (Not Flat Screen). They only channels were Sky news, CNN and 2 channels showing movies.

Beautiful City plenty to do and see and not enough time to do everything

I like Palma but did not have enough time to discover as much I would like

Busy, noisey, Roads dangerous to cross, dirty and lots of pick pockets. Not for holiday makers.

It's okay if you are going to visit Pompeii but not if you want to get off the ship and wander around.

Many passengers who had been before were not getting on the boat

My wife spoke to an elderly couple who had been pick pocketed as soon as arrived in Naples 100 yards from the ship and only got their money by shouting for the police. We heard of other incidents as well.

Read 653 Naples Reviews

Town - Olbia in Sardinia

Again not really that pictureques and little histortical interest

Read 100 Sardinia Reviews

Ship was re-routed so never got to La Goulette instead we ended up in Cagliari in Sardinia. Nothing much to see in Cagliari busy town centre full of shops but nothing pictureques