Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by selenarp: First-Time Cruisers, Lots of Fun!

selenarp
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

First-Time Cruisers, Lots of Fun!

Sail Date: December 2009
Embarkation: New Orleans

First, we stayed at the Sharaton Hotel because my husband gets a a nice discount for Starwood hotels. Overall, the Sheraton was nice, this was our first time staying at this hotel, but be aware that parking is not free and unless you want to park in a public area for $16, then you are forced to valet for over $30. We are originally from New Orleans until the hurricane so we know all the decent places to eat and not fall into the tourist trap of the French Quarter. We left for the pier at 11am and was greeted with a pleasant worker to take our bags, the was a smooth transaction even though we did not have our luggage tags on yet, the guy didn't even act like it bothered him. The longest line was waiting to get into the parking garage because everyone had to wait for the trolley to pass. Other than that, it was smooth sailing. We were on the ship by 12:30 enjoying lunch and the complimentary wine! This ship was decorated for Christmas, as we expected since we would be cruising on More Christmas day.

The first two days were Fun Sea days, where we enjoyed doing various activities after waking up around 11am. We hardly ever get to sleep that late and so we didn't bring our kids we took advantage, plus partied most nights so we needed the sleep! We did go to an Art show to enjoy complimentary wine, receive free art, and hopefully win some art (we did not win). Although we liked it and saw some interesting pieces, the art show was over 3 hours! Just way to long for our attention span. lol During these fun days we also went to a "class" on how to pick the best tequila since we were stopping in Cozumel and the worker also described the difference between the aged look and how its brewed. Very interesting! We also played some onboard trivia games, they were extremely hard and alot of the questions were geared towards the older generation, like 50's and 60's, not saying that's old, just older than us.

Our cabin steward was phenomenal! He always greeted us by name and our room seemed to be cleaned every time we went in there. Every crew member we encountered was pleasant and never once saw a rude worker, even though they spend so much time on these ships away from their family. It was interesting to get to know some of them since they were from other countries.

We ate dinner every night in the dining area, the food was great. Service was ok, our waitress was fairly new and sometimes messed up orders and her helper hardley ever helped her so I kinda blame him, he should have been helping. We lucked out and got a small seating with only one other couple who ended up being veteran cruisers, they taught us some of the ropes and we ended up hanging out with them for the rest of the week.

Oh yeah, as far as kids on the ship, there were plenty, for the most part we didn't notice and people seem to keep their children in check; however, there is always the occasional few pre-teens or teenagers who were unattended and acting like idiots. I ended up yelling at a few for knocking on peoples doors and running. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Interior Upper

We rented an inside room, kinda small but had enough storage space to fit our things. You can hear people walking through the hallways or hear your neighbors shut their doors but we remedied that with a small travel fan. It gets pitch black, except for the light from the hallway so make sure to bring an alarm clock or something!

Overall, we had a bad experience here, this was our least favorite! We decided not to book a shore excursion and try to wing, the biggest mistake we made. We were caught of guard when we tried to exit the port walls by passing the armed guards and barb wired fence! That seemed scary for us but we kept going and tried to follow the crowed to town. We were BOMBARDED by people trying to sell their goods yo us, taxi drivers trying to give us rides, and even kids trying to panhandle for money. No was not in there vocabulary and had to tell each person no at least 5 times. Woman would follow us touching my hair trying to get me to allow them to braid my hair. This happened all the way down the street with at least twenty vendors! We could not take it any more and headed straight back to the dock and decided to do the shopping and eating inside the guarded walls. The shop owners behind the guarded walls do not stalk you and constantly ask you to buy, it was a lot more pleasant. We ate a small lunch at the restaurant by the dock. We tendered at 9am and was back on the boat by 12:20pm because of what we encountered. Oh yeah, there is no docking with the ship, you will be tendered from the boat by local boaters.

(5.5)
This port entrance is also gorgeous and well decorated. although we originally booked an ATV ride through carnival, our dinner mates that we met suggested that we cancel and join them to Mr. Sanchos. You will not find Mr. Sanchos through the ship, they do have a website. At Mr. Sanchos, it is all you can drink (including liqueur and margaritas!) and all you can eat for $50 american dollars! Who can beat that! On top of this, you get free snorkeling and free kayaking! You can't beat that for this price. This is Cozumel's best kept secret! We ended up renting a buggy and sharing the cost with our dinner mates which equaled the same as a cab ride. So glad we rented a buggy, it was fun and the breeze felt nice. When we arrived the restaurant/ bar is on the beach with the clearest water. We started tequila shots and mango margaritas right away! We had so much fun here it was amazing. There were only a few other people on this beach making it very pleasant. It was not over crowded but under crowded! lol We did some snorkeling but even though the waves were a little rough, we still had fun, the water felt great! You can't get warm water like this in the states in December. My husband absolutely loved this place and he wants us to go back. I will always suggest Mr. Sanchos it was absolutely beutiful, no crowds and all you can eat and drink for $50. It also had a pool and a hot tub but we chose to swim in the warm waters. I would also suggest renting a buggy if you have only four people in your party, it is just as much as a cab but you get the freedom of coming and going when you please.

Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

(5.5)
This was my favorite port and my husband's second favorite. The port was beautiful and we did not have to tender, you can just walk off the boat and there you are. We did book an excursion through carnival the Dolphin Encounter & Tabyana Beach Day. The van ride was beautiful, to see how some of the locals live was amazing. We arrive at the dolphin encounter and had to ride a boat to get to the sanctuary, the bluest water I have ever seen! We arrive at the dock and are greeted by so many dolphins just swimming and jumping around. I have always wanted to encounter dolphins, my passion, and I am an animal activist so I was so excited to see that these dolphins are not in a small pen as I have heard but in a really large open area for them to swim freely. If they chose they could have jumped over the dock to the ocean. We got in the water and met our dolphin Fiona who was eight years old. The trainer explained that they allow the dolphins to swim freely in the ocean, supervised, every evening and then come bacl to their sanctuary. They have never worried about them escaping and they always come back, must be the free food! lol He told us to stand elbow to elbow so the dolphins can't swim through our legs because it can create a hazard, of course my hubby has to be the one that veers of some but it created the most spectacular memory for me! Because he veered off it gave the chance of a momma dolphin and her baby dolphin to swim through our gap and grazed my leg, nature at its best! After this ridiculously awesome encounter,we were brought to Tabyana beach. Overall, this was nice; however, it seems everyone from the ship was here! it was a little crowded for our comfort.

Read 1649 Roatan Reviews