Carnival Dream Cruise Review by janern

Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

DreamLand....Our July 3rd Cruise
Jan Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 07:16 AM

I'm not a writer by any means, but wanted to share my experience.

Our cruise was from July 3 to July 10th, we did the Eastern Caribbean, with stops in Nassau Bahamas, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten.

We stayed at the Radisson the night before, took their shuttle over to the ship around 11:00, in 30 minutes hubby and I were on the ship, my son and daughter-in-law and extended fam. took the 12:00 shuttle and basically they walked right on. So make sure you have all your proper paperwork printed out and take it with you, embark was a piece of cake.

From the moment we walked on the ship we were in the WOW mode, this is a beautiful ship! Decorations are very nice, not over the top. Did just a bit of exploring at that point as we wanted to wait for everyone else for lunch, once they were there, within 10 minutes we were sitting and eating. Yes it was just a bit crazy,but it was embark day, and remember folks you and 4000 other people are on that boat, they would like to eat too. After that we really never experience a large crowd, except on Port days, if you have an excursion, keep in mind, so does everyone else and it does get a bit busy on those days. But this is/was nothing that we have not seen on previous cruises you just have to know your not the only that wants to eat and get off the boat too.

Food is awesome, you must try the Mong. Wok-awesome! Burrito bar yummy. Never made it up to the Pasta station, but seems everyone else in our group did and raved about how great it was. Ice cream became our favorite treat in the afternoon while listening to the band. While were on the food subject..MDR food, yummy awesome! Yes the have the Chocolate Melting Cake and yes it was the best! (Can you tell I love to eat ).

Our Cabin was 6334 on the Port (or even) side. Absolutely beautiful! Loved it! Over looked one of the hot tubs. For those who have cabins on deck 6, don't worry about someone looking up on your balcony, I would sit out there for hours reading and no one ever noticed I was there, unless I happen to be having a balcony to balcony conversation with someone, no one ever looked up or paid any attention. A couple of times I did hear noise from whatever is below that deck, maybe the casino, but I'm going to tell you there is so much to do on this ship as soon as my head hit the pillow, anywhere from 12:00 to 1:30ish am, I was out!

Sun - Bahama's 8am - 2pm - we did the "Taste of Nassau and Island Tour" with Island Marketing, it was a very good tour. My husband and I actually ended up being the only people taking it, so you can imagine how skeptical we became when we realized that. Joe our driver/tour guide quickly put us at ease, give us a great tour, we got a bit a head of schedule and showed us other parts of the island that wasn't scheduled to be on the tour. Got a great Arawak lunch and back on the ship by 1:15.

Mon. - at sea - did the typical cruise type things, laid around the pool listening to the band, went to a "where to shop while your in this port" type class, got a great shell lai, and my friend won the sapphire necklace that they gave away, she was on a real winning streak (watch out casino)! If your not the lay around the pool, or lay around on any type deck type person, there is always, always something fun to do!

Tues. - St. Thomas 10am -8pm, we did the Island Tour with Sunny Liston. I'm going to tell you, if you want to have a fun tour, go with Sunny, he's the best! We were supose to be Ported by 10am, but didn't get clearance from Port Auth. until 10:30, Sunny (and Elvis) was right there waiting for us. Took us downtown to shop for 1 1/2 hours, then on to the island tour which was sooo much fun, with his island music blasting and everyone singing along...Monday, whoot whoot, Tuesday whoot whoot, I love you babbyyy whoot whoot! From tour to over 2 hours of beautiful beach time. We choose to go to Sapphire beach, one of the locals (I'll talk to anyone:) while I was shopping told me if we didn't go to Megans Bay to go to Sapphire and since we had seen Magen's Bay the last time we chose Sapphire, beautiful beach and great snorkeling! So for $30. our tour lasted from 10:30 to 5:45ish, it was a great day!! (oh lunch was not included, so either bring something with you or you'll have to buy lunch)

Weds. - St. Maaten 8am-6pm- again we did an Island/Beach Tour (and lunch) with Island Marketing. Perry was great, he's from Canada and has lived on St. Maarten for 10 years. Again, tour was great, not just me and hubby this time..durn it, but it was a great tour even though we had to share the tour guide this time. He showed us all over the island, the different beaches, the one where the airplane flies over, get out at Orient Beach, not on the nude one...but as he was showing us the rest of Orient Beach in the bus, I did see some naked booties, so I am here to tell you that it is there. Our beach time was at the Sonesta Resort, it was beautiful, the water was the beautiful blue you see in pictures. On the way back to the boat we ask to be dropped off downtown to shop for a bit, it's beautiful, down by the where the water taxi is at, is just beautiful, we could have just sat there all day and would have been happy!

Next two days we were at sea, and again did the typical things, ate, listen to island music by Impressions they were great, played on the water slide, loved the twister one, ate some more, slept in the lounge chair, maybe went to the casino, hot tub, etc.....there is always something to do, or always nothing to do except relax if you want to. I will tell you if your out by the pool, it might be easier to get your own drink, or at least allow a good 15 minutes or so from the time you place your order to receive your drink (my choice of drink is Coke Zero),there's alot of people, so have some patience about that. Those kids work hard at keeping everyone happy.

Speaking of kids....there were a ton of children, from infant to teens. All well behaved! Maybe once I saw kids running in the hall, and being a mom and working in the school system I did my " now kids it's late and people could be sleeping lets walk okay" and they went right to walking and yes ma'am. If you went on the 4th deck near the clubs for the pre-teens and teens, then yes you saw children and the teens being children and teens, but that was their area to act how they wanted to and even at that they weren't doing anything but sitting and talking. Anywhere else on the ship you would have not noticed that they were even there. Very well behaved!

We had the 8:15 seating for dinner, there was 13 of us, that was our best option to get everyone together for at least one time throughout the day. Our wait staff was excellent, I cannot rave about how great they were, hats off to you Kris and Udi ( Udi I miss your s-e-x-y dance), Udi is too doggone cute, he will keep you smiling! Kris is more shy, sorry Kris if we made you blush by telling you how great your were! And Gentara (I'm sorry sweetie if I misspelled your name), was the best, for those of us that had coke cards, she knew what each and everyone one of us wanted, had them sitting on the table before we even got there, she was awesome cannot rave enough about the MDR!

Went to the Encore every night for the show, each and everyone was great! Caught just a few Comedy acts, they were great as well! You have to see Bob, oh shoot his last name starts with a B also, but he was awesome will have you rolling in the aisle. Yes peoples you need to get to the Encore about 30 minutes a head of time, no you cannot walk in as the show is starting and expect to get a seat, it will not happen, (but this has been true on each and every cruise I have been on). Deck Parties were great too, from the first night where they had on those funky punk wigs to the Mardi Gras night, it was a blast!

Now...about the dreaded smell...I only got a whiff twice, and that is exactly what it was, just a hmmm did someone around here pass just a bit of gas...my daughter-in-law stated she only got a whiff once and my hubby and son never smelled anything, so there you go. Don't worry about it, quit looking for it, if you do smell it, well you might smell a lot of things, as there are 4000 people eating and drinking a lot of things that they normally would not be eating and drinking...It's just nothing to worry about or even talk about anymore.

There were sometimes that I felt more movement on this ship than I would have expected, (seas were smooth like a sheet of glass), but again my son stated that after the first night at dinner he never felt any movement, so there's two different views on that too. No big deal.

We did self assist getting off yesterday morn. it was too easy, our floor was called just after 7am, we were off, shuttled back to the hotel by Radisson, and in the car on the road all by 8am.

So everyone, get on that Dream and have a fun filled time! Your going to love it! It's beautiful, clean (their always cleaning), yummy food, great entertainment, great staff!!

Again, I loved, loved, loved this ship and would go back on in a heartbeat!

Publication Date: 07/13/10