Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Kay66: Celebrity Esclipse - Some of it good and some of it bad

Kay66
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Baltic Sea Cruises

Celebrity Esclipse - Some of it good and some of it bad

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Other

We had watched eagerly as this ship was being built very excited for our trip on May 7. The ship was beautiful, clean still smelling fresh. The carpet was not warn, the windows and hand rails still clean and shining. We had sailed before but not on a new ship and I would recommend the experience.

Embarkation - was a disappointment as we had priority boarding but there was no such thing.

We found our cabin with ease and was greeted a very short time later with our luggage. We had fantastic cabin stewards Salvatore and Jose. Nothing was a bother to them they had our rooms cleaned quickly and quietly every day and they went out of their way to make our trip excellent.

The cabin was lovely, its the first time we travelled at the back of the ship and I was concerned about the noise (what noise) there was nothing but the sound of waves, which was beautiful. Being at the back gives you all views and with the ship docking in with the aft towards the town it was a More perfect greeting to each port. We were very disappointed with the main dining room. The food was just not as good as previous cruises we had taken with other ships. We found the meals to be cold and not very pleasant, a few times we just left it or returned the meal to the kitchen. I expected much better food. The bistro upstairs for dinner was ok but it did not have the selection that it did for lunch and it seemed to be the left overs from lunch (same deserts, same pasta selection etc).

Breakfast and lunch were always too crowded to find a seat but if you skip breakfast and go right at noon for lunch you can get a seat.

The biggest issue we had was the fact that staff in the food areas allowed people to pick up food with their hands. We thought in this day and age that this would be stopped. It was rather disgusting to see a grown woman pick up bacon with her fingers out of the tray warmer or a man pick up a sausage and eat it there in front of you and go in for another helping. Somehow this has to be addressed.

I thought their shops on board were lovely but a bit overpriced. The shows on board were on par with other ships except the second last night when the show was a kind of Cirque du soleil performance. It was truly amazing. Loved the Martini Bar with its iced counter, the Passport bar with wonderful Barbara serving and the entertainment every night in the Foyer was really very good.

This cruise was for the older generation with the average age being 65 - 75 yrs. A lot of English as this left from Southampton.

We found the shore excursions were quite good, overpriced of course but when your going to a foreign country you have not been too its always best to go on a tour. We spent a lot of money on the excursions but in the end I think it was worth it. However there were a lot of older people complaining about the amount of walking. You must make sure you read the details before booking. They tell you the approx amount of walking that is involved.

If the ship improved its food and service in the dining room I would have no hesitation in going on this ship again. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse 8360

Excellent Cabin located right at the back of the ship. Would recommend. Lovely bedding, enough space, balcony was bigger in the cabin next door for no extra cost so would choose that one next time.

What an amazing place, lovely cobble streets. Make sure you get some chocolate it is to die for. I'm sorry I did not get two boxes.

Nothing to see it was a public holiday and it was very boring. I would not go back again.

Read 335 Helsinki Reviews

We went on the trip to Berlin, its rather rushed and you have to battle with construction in Berlin but well worth it. We had a very very disappointing lunch. We expected a German Sausage Lunch something authentic but it catered for the English on the ship with Roast Beef and baked potatoes. Now I have been there I would not go back.

One of the highlights of our trip. We spent the first day on a tour of St Petersburg which was great (except we spent a lot of time in traffic) the only thing was the time we were in traffic was not added on to the end of the tour so we thought we were a bit ripped off there.

We opted to do a river cruise that night which was fantastic and I highly recommend this to everyone. Singing, Vodka and Caviar. It was a night that we will never forget.

The second day we went to Pushkin (go early) to Catherine's Palace, what a wonderful day this too I would highly recommend, its a must to walk through the gardens.

We loved sailing into Stockholm, its such a beautiful place. The old town was great and its a beautiful city.

An unexpected surprise... it was just beautiful, the old town was lovely and our tour guide was fantastic. You can't right about Tallin you just have to visit it. I rated it Number 2 of the ports just behind St Petersburg.

Port 7 Was Copenhagen - what a wonderful place, friendly historic and we would definitely go back

Read 352 Tallinn Reviews