Carnival Victory Cruise Review by CuriousGeorgeAtl: A Victory at Sea

A Victory at Sea

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We had a great time and from what we could see, everybody was having fun. Getting to the port, getting on the ship, getting to the cabin was easy and stress free. The cabin was clean, plenty of room and plenty of storage, the staff did a great job of keeping the cabin taken care of all week and it was nice that they made a point of greeting me by name.

I was disappointed that at dinner each night people tended to dress overly casual in the dining rooms. More than 50% of the people dressed in shorts most nights and many wore jeans and t-shirts on formal night. When I asked the Maitre'D, I was told that they cannot ask people to leave or to dress correctly, that they do not want upset people. I agree with some casual attire and perhaps the requirement of a jacket and tie not required, however long pants and a collared shirt should be required.

With the buffet at lunch and dinner the dining experience was the constant lines every morning for breakfast and every day at More lunch. No matter then time we always had a 15 minute wait - I notice that other cruise lines have worked this little kink out, perhaps they can try to learn from the other lines.

We enjoyed the movies at night on the big screen however it was hard to get a drink, there was a shortage of servers. I was also surprised that they charged for popcorn, they need to give that out for free, like on Princess.

I also was impressed on each of the islands. While the locals were very 'aggressive' to ask if you were interested in a tour and when I had mentioned I had one already booked they all were very pleasant and wished that I enjoy my day on the island.

I used the Wifi with my laptop and found the service to be reliable and worked at a decent speed for being on a cruise ship and the packages to be a fair price.

The disembarkation process was smooth and well organized.

What Carnival does well is provide a good product and there are few 'add ons or dining options where you have to pay extra. Many people noted that on other ships they spent quite a bit in extra surcharges, something that was free on this ship. The Gelato Bar and Gourmet Coffee was one of the few add ons and well worth the $3. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Panorama 1018

I have always been happy with the utilization of space and the comfortable size of the cabins. The cabin had plenty of cabin space but one consistent problem is none of the ships give you enough closet hangers for a 7 night cruise. I also give them kudos for the arrangement in the cabin with shelving space. I would like the table by the sofa to be larger as the one in the cabin was so tiny it was a waste.

Here we took the submarine tour, it was great to get 100 feet down. The local shopping area is great, make sure to go into town - DO NOT WEAR CAMOUFLAGE it is against the law and you will get a ticket. Here we also took a taxi to the beaches, great idea and only a 10 minute ride.

Read 701 Barbados Reviews

Here we toured the rain forest and the island is beautiful but very poor. The local folks were very welcoming, the only problem was that since the island is poor, the roads you travel are in poor condition so if you are prone to getting car sick, be prepared. This is where I got the best deal for Cuban Cigars.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

This island seems to be the hidden jewel. We went to the rain forest and the to the botanical gardens, we were surprised and the beauty on the island. The island is beautiful and we enjoyed the nature.

This day we just wandered the island, spent time where the local residents spend their time, we found some great deals.

Here we had a rainy day so our tour was cancelled. We walked into town and spent the day shopping. If you are looking for bargains, here is where you go. There are hundreds of stores with clothing, jewelry and of course chachka's if you like them. We came back to the ship with well over $2,000 in clothing and jewelry and could have spent more. I was interested that almost all of the stores were owned or run by people of Indian decent, I had no idea that so many people from India had moved there.

St Thomas is a great place, very safe and a nice experience. The shopping is good but don't look for bargains here, they don't exist. Also, buddy up with a few people and share a taxi into town.

Read 2320 St. Thomas Reviews