Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Moon2020: Christmas on the Caribbean

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Christmas on the Caribbean

Sail Date: December 2009

Despite living in Florida and having fairly convenient access to five cruise ports, this is only the second cruise I have taken in five years. It was my first cruise on Carnival and my first cruise over a major holiday.

The baggage and embarkation was a little rough due to the long line and the baggage handler being called away after we had entrusted him with our bags, which he left unattended sitting on the pavement. The Liberty was a beautiful ship loaded with people taking their holiday: The common areas were very congested on the Promenade and Lido decks much of the time due to the photographers/people in queues blocking the way, what seemed like maximum occupancy loaded into the pool areas, and auxiliary buffet lines being closed. The spa specials that are advertised are a bit expensive for what services are performed.

There was ample closet space in our Oceanview room that was in a relatively quiet location in the ship (deck 2, port-side aft - between the More aft-most bank of elevators and the mid-aft elevators). We had a lovely view of Cuba during our day at sea. Our steward was very attentive to our requests for ice and the unlocking of our minibar, despite our non-consumption of the contents of our minibar. We were not charged for consumption of the contents; we required use of the refrigerator.

We did not purchase any shore excursions. However, we did go ashore in Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. Our waitstaff in the dining room was fantastic and friendly. Once they realized what each of us commonly drank, the serving of beverages and refills improved.

The highlight of the cruise for myself was the "Behind the Fun" tour that was given aboard the ship. I would encourage anyone who is curious about how everything works on a ship to purchase this option if it is offered. Self-disembarkation went very smoothly once we were past the bottleneck. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Oceanview Main

There was ample closet space in our Oceanview room that was in a relatively quiet location in the ship (deck 2, port-side aft - between the aft-most bank of elevators and the mid-aft elevators). We had a lovely view of Cuba during our day at sea. Our steward was very attentive to our requests for ice and the unlocking of our minibar, despite our non-consumption of the contents of our minibar. We were not charged for consumption of the contents; we required use of the refrigerator.

We took a taxi into the city and went window shopping. I had been to Mexico before and knew what to expect in a Mexican tourist city. There are definitely many shopping bargains if you go into the city and pay attention versus staying in the port's tourist shopping area, which is very overpriced.

Read 3102 Cozumel Reviews

I loved Grand Cayman and will return here in the future.

I would not go back to Jamaica ever again unless it was to an all-inclusive resort where I did not leave the property. We was constantly harassed by the locals seeking financial compensation, making what could have been a very relaxing day pretty much unbearable. I can only be nice after the first 50 attempts asking me for money when I'm not even remotely interested in what is being offered.