Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Sweetest Sin: We enjoyed the cruise because of the ports

Sweetest Sin
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

We enjoyed the cruise because of the ports

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We flew to San Juan on embarkation day. We picked up a Carnival transfer at the airport. We had to wait a bit, but not too long. We were taken to a bus, and our luggage taken in a van directly to the ship. This would be the last time we saw our luggage until we got it later that afternoon. When we got to the port it was a bit confusing since there was a bit of a line waiting to go into the terminal. There was one person who was directing people who was not all that friendly. Once we got in the terminal the check in process went very quickly and we were on the ship within 45 minutes of arriving at the port.

The ship decor is pretty. We had sailed on her sister, the Triumph, some years ago, and were familiar with the layout. She is an older ship, and worn in a few places. I thought that some public areas, like bathrooms, needed better upkeep.

We enjoyed the entertainment. The shows were good, and the musicians were fun.

Food was okay. I am not a buffet More person, but I felt that this was the worse buffet of the four cruises I have been on. The breakfast buffet was okay, but repetitive, and the dinner buffet was just yuck. 24 Hour pizza was good, and we all really loved the deli. The dining room was good, but we feel that the servers were overworked. They just weren't as friendly as some we've had in the past. The bar waitress in the dining room was sub par. She never came back. I'm not sure if this was due to cut backs in staff, having more tables to wait on, or just the staff personality.

Our cabin was a balcony cabin on deck 8. It's a great location. Close to the pools and food. Our steward was wonderful. Very friendly, and did a great job of keeping our cabin clean, and stocked the ice as well. We had one incident when the young "adults" that had a group of cabins across from ours were quite noisy. We called guest services and security was up within minutes. This was the first evening and we never had another probelem. They also checked to make sure that the problem was solved, which I really appreciated.

Overall the ship was nice, but probably the least nicest (lol, not a word I know) of all the ships we've been on. I'll probably sail another line before going on Carnival again due to the food quality. But, if I found another cruise with ports that I was interested in, I'd give Carnival another try. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Verandah 8228

The cabin is a balcony cabin. We chose this cabin since there ware other cabins above and below, so it was very quiet. There was plenty of storage space for three people. My daughter had to sleep on the couch, which is okay for a 10 year old, but definitely not big enough for an adult.

My husband, daughter, and I went with Silver Moon tours in Barbados. We were on a catamaran with 24 other people, snorkeled with the turtles and over a shipwreck and reef. They served us banana bread, and yummy lunch (chicken, fish, rice, breadfruit, salad and rolls) and carrot cake for dessert. We had a nice stop in front of the resort where Tiger Woods got married. The yacht is very nice, and there was plenty of room for everyone. The captain and crew made sure everyone was comfortable, and plied us with rum punch, beer, wine, or sodas/water. It was one of the better tours that we have done.

Read 701 Barbados Reviews

We did not do any excursions in Dominica, but I had to knock the rating down due to the agressiveness of the tour operators at the port. We wanted to do a bit of shopping in port, and felt constantly pestered. We would say "No thank you" but it was never enough. The operators would ask why, and would tell us we weren't really getting to see the island. We had to resort to lying and saying we already had a tour booked. I will say the souvenir vendors were not pushy at all, but not really willing to bargain with you. I'm sure the island is beautiful, and I hope that someday I can go back and experience the island away from the port.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

We grabbed a taxi here ($6.50 pp) to Cockleshell Beach. We went to the Raggae Beach bar. They serve drinks and food. There are lots of beach vendors, but a simple "no thank you" was generally enough. There is a huge pig, Wilbur, who lives there. We also saw a wild monkey. Snorkeling here is okay, but not that great. We were able to rent two chairs and an umbrella for a reasonable price.

Our entire group did the tour with Cosol. Since I had booked the tour for our family of 10 we got a van just for our group. Yellow Bird was our driver and he was wonderful, very knowledgable, friendly and willing to answer any question we had. I thought breakfast was great; a wide assortment of foods that were all quite tasty, but yes, the bathroom here is $1 and not spotless. They also treated my grandmother wonderfully. She could not get in the water taxi on her own, so Yellow Bird and another man just hoisted her up over the side! I only wish I could have gotten a picture.

You do spend much of the day in the van. It's an island tour. It would have been nice to stay a bit longer in some spots. Since we were our own van we didn't want to spend too much time on the beach (we were there about 45 minutes) and Yellow Bird was acomodating when we wanted to leave. We didn't pay to rent chairs. When facing the beach from the water taxi the chairs to the left (in front of the snorkeling area) are available for use.

The fresh bread at the end of the day was very yummy. Overall we thought the tour was worth more than $65 for the length of the tour and the amount of inforamation we we given. We definately had a lot of fun!

We have also been to St. Maarten in a past cruise. We are not shoppers, and this really is one of my least favorite ports. We had taken an island tour before, so this time decided to snorkel with Captain Alan. We were picked up at the port right on time and brought to Oyster Bay. We enjoyed our trip. We snorkeled at a reef, which was a bit out in the open, and we also snorkeled at another spot by a rock. Both places had a pretty good assortment of fish and flora. We had a mud bath, which makes your skin so soft, and we stopped a Pinel Island for about 10 minutes. I would have liked to have stayed at Pinel for longer. We rode on the boat with our legs dangling over the side, and since there were some big swells the ride was like a roller coaster. My daughter had a blast doing that! We had a good time.

Our first port was St. Thomas. We had been before, and this time wanted to snorkel. We took a taxi to Sapphire Beach. Taxis are very easy to get, but a bit pricey. Sapphire was beautiful and you can snorkel right off the beach. We saw a lot of fish, and a turtle. We also took the tram ride. The view up there is fantastic, but I wouldn't order anything to eat or drink. Overpriced, and the waitress acted like we were an inconvenience to her.

Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews