Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Sweetest Sin

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Sweetest Sin
Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: Sweetest Sin
Cruise Date: June 2010
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We enjoyed the cruise because of the ports
We flew to San Juan on embarkation day. We picked up a Carnival transfer at the airport. We had to wait a bit, but not too long. We were taken to a bus, and our luggage taken in a van directly to the ship. This would be the last time we saw our luggage until we got it later that afternoon. When we got to the port it was a bit confusing since there was a bit of a line waiting to go into the terminal. There was one person who was directing people who was not all that friendly. Once we got in the terminal the check in process went very quickly and we were on the ship within 45 minutes of arriving at the port.

The ship decor is pretty. We had sailed on her sister, the Triumph, some years ago, and were familiar with the layout. She is an older ship, and worn in a few places. I thought that some public areas, like bathrooms, needed better upkeep.

We enjoyed the entertainment. The shows were good, and the musicians were fun.

Food was okay. I am not a buffet person, but I felt that this was the worse buffet of the four cruises I have been on. The breakfast buffet was okay, but repetitive, and the dinner buffet was just yuck. 24 Hour pizza was good, and we all really loved the deli. The dining room was good, but we feel that the servers were overworked. They just weren't as friendly as some we've had in the past. The bar waitress in the dining room was sub par. She never came back. I'm not sure if this was due to cut backs in staff, having more tables to wait on, or just the staff personality.

Our cabin was a balcony cabin on deck 8. It's a great location. Close to the pools and food. Our steward was wonderful. Very friendly, and did a great job of keeping our cabin clean, and stocked the ice as well. We had one incident when the young "adults" that had a group of cabins across from ours were quite noisy. We called guest services and security was up within minutes. This was the first evening and we never had another probelem. They also checked to make sure that the problem was solved, which I really appreciated.

Overall the ship was nice, but probably the least nicest (lol, not a word I know) of all the ships we've been on. I'll probably sail another line before going on Carnival again due to the food quality. But, if I found another cruise with ports that I was interested in, I'd give Carnival another try.

Publication Date: 07/11/10