SeaDream I Cruise Review by ridpath

Cruise Date: June 2010
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 2
See More About: SeaDream I Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | SeaDream Yacht Club Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: SeaDream I Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Nice, but . . .
We started off nicely, leaving from Dubrovnik. About the second day out is when things started to get a little dicey. There was what was described as, "a minor engine fire". Come to find out the fire took out 3 generators and left us without any electricity (running water, a/c, toilets, etc.) Because of this, dinner was not served until about 10 that evening (outside, in the dark). That night sleep was impossible (lack of a/c), only to find out the next morning that we were also out of hot water. Some of the staff later revealed that in addition to the fire, there were a couple of burst water pipes in the middle of the night. Those taking the cruise kept expecting some sort of compensation, but aside from some free pajamas, none was given for our inconvenience.

After these hick-ups, things started to settle down.

To say it was "luxury" is a stretch. The cabins are dated and our bathroom sink finish was cracked. Additionally, our toilet struggled throughout the trip (most times unable to even flush urine), and finally gave out a couple of days before the end of the cruise.

Clearly, maintenance was lacking on this "luxury" liner.

The service was OUTSTANDING, and the staff deserves special recognition.

Food was hit and miss. First night was great. Another night was "Indian Night"(???) Another night I had a prime rib-eye that was like no prime I had ever seen/tasted, and couldn't eat it (I did not complain, but they were genuinely concerned, and asked if they could bring me something else, to which I thanked them, but declined). Another night was an 8-course "elegantly sized" dinner, and it was a true winner.

My favorite stops were Dubrovnik, Rovinj, and Venice. Destinations should have been more efficiently planned so that we wouldn't have had to stop in Trieste for fuel, and instead could have had more time in Venice (7:00 pm Venice as our final destination?).

Overall, probably will not recommend due to inexcusable maintenance lapses.

Publication Date: 07/09/10