Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by crzgrl66: Give me Liberty! Family Cruise June 27 - 4th of July

crzgrl66
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Give me Liberty! Family Cruise June 27 - 4th of July

Sail Date: June 2010

Background - We are a family of 5. Me 44, DH 50, & 3 sons 15, 9, & 6. This was our first cruise on RCCL. We are experienced cruisers. We have sailed on Disney, Celebrity & Carnival.

Travel to Port of embarkation - We flew American Airlines from San Francisco

Hotel - We stayed at Homewood Suites at Blue Lagoon. It was perfect for our family. For $117 we had a one bedroom suite with two beds and living area with a pull out couch. Free shuttle from the airport and buffet breakfast included. It could have been a little cleaner, but great price and we were just there to sleep.

Post cruise July 4th - We stayed at the Sonesta Hotel in Coconut Grove. We were upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite. It was huge. Living room, kitchen, and 3 bathrooms. It had a large wrap around balcony. We could see the firework displays going off all over Miami.

Stateroom - DH & I had an aft balcony cabin on deck 7 and our kids were in an inside kitty corner from More us. Both rooms were great. We loved having the balcony. First time we have ever had an aft cabin. Thank you to CC for recommendation.

Ship Info - Liberty of the Seas is absolutely beautiful and spotless. She is in really great shape. We loved the Promenade area and the pools.

Dining - We had early seating. We signed our two younger children up for the My Family Time Dining. Our waiter was okay. He was not very friendly which surprised me. The assistant waiter was a little friendlier. The My Family Time Dining didn't work for us at all. The way it is supposed to work is that you go to dinner at 6:00. The kids order only an entree off the kids menu and then they eat while you enjoy appetizers. The Ocean Adventure staff pick them up at 6:40. Usually our kids meals wouldn't come until 6:25 - 6:30. They never got to eat their meals. Also, we had to ask the assistant waiter for ketchup every night. By the 3rd night we would order by saying, "He would like the steak & fries with ketchup please." They still wouldn't remember to bring it.

Our food was good. I would say the quality of food in my opinion was better than Carnival, equal to Disney, and not as good as Celebrity. Windjammer was very good and we liked all of the choices.

We didn't eat at any of the specialty restaurants.

Activities - We tried them all. Ice skating, Flowrider, Rockwall, & basketball. There is so much to do. The kids loved all of the pools, especially the whirlpool. We attended the Mix & Mingle and won some cool prizes. It was fun to meet some other CC members.

Service - Our stateroom attendant was outstanding! The sports staff was great.

Entertainment - We loved the entertainment. The ice-skating show was fabulous. Love & Marriage, Quest, the juggler, Karaoke & bands were all fantastic. The 70's & 80's parties were a blast. The production shows were okay, a little dated. I wouldn't waste an hour of ship time on the "Ever After" show and even though they say it is for the kids, it is a snoozer.

Children's Clubs

Explorers - Age 6 - 8 - My son didn't like the club very much. He really wanted to play WII and they never had it available. They always played group games like dodge ball, gaga ball, crazy tag, etc. They would have 6 activities listed for each 3 hour block of time, but they would do them in whatever order the counselors wanted. It seemed that whenever he was there it was "group game time".

Voyagers - 9 - 11 - My 9 year old LOVED the club. We had one little glitch that really upset him. He was not allowed to go on the scavenger hunt because the counselor said that his form was not initialed to allow him to participate. The counselor kept telling him that "his mom said he couldn't go". They made him sit in the club with the little kids. When we returned and and insisted that they show us the form that I didn't initial, they realized that they were looking at paperwork for a child with the same first name. I know mistakes happen but when a kid is so insistent that he could go, you would think they would have double checked the name.

Teens - Our 15 year old enjoyed the club. He wished they had something other than Rockband in the club.

Port & Shore Excursions - DH really enjoyed the zipline in Labadee and the kids loved the rollercoaster. In San Juan we had a great time at the El Morro Fort.

Disembarkation - It went totally smooth. It was very organized.

Summary - We had a great vacation! We really enjoyed the ship. The ports were a lot of fun. We really enjoyed the night life and the Promenade parties. Best cruise director we have ever had on all of our cruises. Mike was AWESOME! Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7710

7710 - Aft Cabin. Great Balcony. Far from elevators, but nice and quiet.