Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by elaine simpkin

Cruise Date: June 2010
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: I1
See More About: Costa Fortuna Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Costa Fortuna Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Fortuna Deck Plans
not my cup of tea!!
First time cruising with 2 teenagers 17 and 18. Staff were excellent and courteous at all times. We all enjoyed the food and the family were able to try various exotic dishes that I will possibly never cook!

We didn't understand what was going on with all the selling of drinks packages when we first ventured out for some refreshments. We were bewildered at first because we understood it to be all inclusive. We ended up buying 3 packages because we thought no drinks of any kind were included and we knew we couldn't go all week without fizzy drinks for the family and coffee for me. Actually you could get basic drinks anytime you wanted but we didn't realise that when we were being pestered for the drinks packages. Also there are 2 packages for coffee so you can't just order whatever coffee you want unless it is in your package. We were mystified during the first day and it was very expensive and as others have said the price they quote is not what you pay because there is a hidden service charge as well as the daily added service charge which for 4 of us was shockingly expensive.

My son left his quality shorts (£25.00) very loosely wrapped in a towel in the room after showering and they were removed by the maid and never seen again. We tried hard to get them back but no luck.

I'm afraid the cruise was too Italian for me, I felt rather isolated. I like to have a bit of a chat with fellow guests but hardly found any English to speak to. I also didn't really like all the congratulating of the staff at the disembarkation meeting. Members of the staff were paraded on stage and they bowed and we clapped and they clapped and we were told how hard they worked etc. I don't really want to know the ins and outs of their work schedules -most of us work really hard and this was my holiday and somehow it seemed a bit Dysneyfied!!

Publication Date: 07/07/10