Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by gandalf's_oatmeal

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by gandalf's_oatmeal
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Paradise
Member Name: gandalf's_oatmeal
Cruise Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 4B
See More About: Carnival Paradise Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

So disappointed
Having cruised many times before I was very excited to go on yet another trip. I had never been on carnival and was excited to try a new line.

We got to the ship early and were actually in line when the early embarkment office opened. we were in zone one and got right on board ship. The embarkment went very smoothly.

We had two rooms, they were suppose to have a door between them, hmmm no door. I saw pictures of the joining room, I called to inquire, was told of that is on a ship in the same class but not Paradise... ok

I paid for a birthday package to be put up for my husband in our room before arrival. It was there and looked way fun and nice.

The cabin was big which I thought was great until we tried to get into the bed on the left side. You could not there is a huge life jacket box in the corner making the left side of the bed impossible to get into.

I like caring nothing but my room card onboard and locking up everything else. well on carnival you cannot do that as you need a credit card or drivers license to activate the safe. A code would make more sense.

The bathroom was big, however the shower had mold growing on the grout.

I did like the little bowl of toiletries on the bathroom counter, it was a nice touch. Use them though they are gone and never replenished. We had no hair drier, I called the room steward to get one, no answer EVER on the phone.

I then tried calling down to the front desk where your call just loops to nowhere. getting help on this ship is impossible.

I made the mistake of taking my shoes off to discover the carpet outside the bathroom was sloshy wet. My husband thinks it is from people going in and out of the bathroom wet. The room steward NEVER once during the cruise came to introduce himself. On other lines we have traveled they always done this.

The second day we went to get in the pool and found it to be frigidly cold. There was no way we could stand the water, it stung it was so cold. So we sat in the hot tub with 6 children, who could also not be in the pool as it was too cold.

We made door signs, the first night someone stole one of them! We found it three doors down, very disappointing.

Upon going back to the room put my suit in the corner o0f the shower, where it stayed till we left, hmmmm must mean no one cleaned the shower, as it never moved. There was no place to hang a wet suit to dry in the shower, there were hooks int he bathroom but the water would have pooled on the tile and become a slipping hazard, so on the floor it laid. could have hung it in the closet, but our cloths were there.

I liked the shows. they were campy but very cute and fun. I was disappointed when the dancer pulled my husband on stage and I was not allowed to get pictures. We bought the DVD hoping the event would be on it, but no.... too bad all we have is the memory would have loved a picture.

The trivia was fun, it was an individual event would have been more fun as teams so you could get to know your ship mates. My husband won one round and did get a cute little gold ship trophy which I have to say is the cutest ship prize ever. and the joke they tell about the solid 24 caret plastic gold trophy ship on a stick was hilarious.

The burgers were good, the hot dog, well the dog was cold and the bun rock hard from sitting under the heat lamp. The pizza and calzone was good. The sandwich station was good loved the arugula, tomato, mozzarella sandwich. I was not impressed with the frozen yogurt it was too frozen. Not impressed with the rest of the buffet the food was mid warm and tasteless. I was shocked when at breakfast they served my husband his bacon and limited how much he could have... Limiting a child is understandable but a 61 year old man knows how much he can eat.

The Elations dining room was nice, the service was good, the waiters funny and personable, the photographer very annoying. The food in the dining room was Denny's quality at best, but better than the buffet.

Drunks, OMG they stumble all over... Fun ship? I doubt many of the cruisers will even remember their weekend! NOT all people are happy drunks. We got to the venue for the comic early to get a seat we found four and sat to watch. A large bald mid 30's man came and stood right in front of the area we were in. He was drunk and leaned on the rail. The people next to us started calling hey move we cannot see... he stayed, My husband asked him to move he turned around dropped a few F bombs, said he would not move and in a threatening tone yelled at my husband what you gonna do about it. My husband said call security, he turned to the bar tender and asked him to call security since this guy was being obnoxious. The guy remains continuing to threaten and intimidate and drink. One security guard (1/2 the size of the drunk) arrives 10 minutes later and asks my husband to leave with him! Since my husband complained, he is deemed the problem. Even though the guy is standing right in front of a whole section we are told he is not in anyones way. The other people in the section complain they are told to not make trouble by the guard. The drunk loudly boasts he is staying. we got up and left. Don't expect the security to help you if there is a problem.

There was a scrap booking event, being avid scrap bookers we were excited and ready to play. The girl who came was sweet but Carnival had given her nothing to work with for the class, there were some scissors, glue sticks, a marker, and plain colored paper. so we cut and pasted some paper and did what we could. I expected more, even if there would have had to be a charge.

Disembarking was interesting we followed all the directions from the tv and the written paperwork. we were doing self disembark. The directions said wait till your deck number is called to go to deck 7 and disembark. We were on deck 5. We wanted to avoid the rush at the elevators, so went to deck 8 being we could carry our bags down easier than up. A crew member told us to go to 7 and wait there. We told him, the tv and literature said NOT to go to 7, he said go wait there. so we headed down knowing we were not suppose to. Upon arriving at deck 7 we were ushered to the doors, no question about our deck and were off the ship in 10 minutes! Now that was nice.

All in all... I will not travel with carnival again.

Publication Date: 07/06/10