Carnival Legend Cruise Review by AUmom: Fun week despite Hurricane Alex

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Fun week despite Hurricane Alex

Sail Date: June 2010
Embarkation: Tampa

Good: Past guest party still provides free drinks & hors doerves. Bad: Captain's reception---no free drinks.

Good: Adult only pool in the rear of the ship was really adult only! Bad: Didn't have serenity deck like some of the other Carnival ships, but still very much appreciated the adult only feature being enforced.

Room 8181 Our room was nice. Balcony view was great!

My children stayed in room 8233 and it was about the same. Same view, etc.

Cruise director was "Wee Jimmy" and he was a hoot. Usually the cruise director is on my nerves by the end of the More trip and this guy was not. He's funny, nice, and was a blast.

The band that played for the dancers/singers was PHENOMINAL and was the best we have heard on a ship (my spouse & I are both musicians and music lovers). They were really good. The shows were usual Carnival shows.

The food was pretty good. Our dining room experience was fine. Our wait staff was good. Our bar maid was not so great. So we did not order drinks while dining after the first night or two.

Bar staff were ALL very nice and very attentive. Great drinks! We used the drink coupons and it was worthwhile, though they do add the difference if you order a frozen drink or something more than $5.75.

Ship was clean and we felt safe even though the waters were rough.

They do now charge for motion sickness medicine where they did not do this previously. It was $4 for six meclizine (Bonine/Antivert) tablets. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Panorama 8181

Room 8181 Our room was nice. Balcony view was great! The only negative thing about this room is it is on the Panorama deck and is directly below the LIDO DECK. If they have nightly activities on the deck.....you will hear it. If you like to sleep late....you will be awakened to deck chairs moving and footsteps. Did not bother us particularly, but was something I noted and will definitely consider on my next trip. My children stayed in room 8233 and it was about the same. Same view, etc.

I love Belize, but I HATE the Carnival Tender system. HATE HATE HATE!! I give this port a THREE because I hate this system. Love the people of Belize and it has nothing to do with them!

Carnival gives priority to those who book Carnival excursions over folks like me who does research and finds better excursions/deals online! If you don't book through Carnival.....you get off the boat later. We still had a good time, but that part irritated me.

We booked our excursion through Coral Breeze. (coralbreezetours.com). They work with HAMMERHEAD WATER SPORTS.

We did an excursion to Bannister Island, Manatees, and Snorkeling on the reef.

OUR GUIDES WERE FANTASTIC! (Mr. Biggs, Marcus, James, Michael (??)...I think that was their names). SUPER NICE people. Very professional. Very good at guiding and telling us things about Belize. It was UNBELIZEABLE! LOL LOVED IT and would love to dive with these guys on our next trip back to Belize!

The snorkeling could have been better but the water was rough due to Hurricane Alex. Amazing coral reef!

We saw Manatees and the mangroves. Phenomenal and a part of Belize you won't see other ways.

Bannister Island: Forgettable. Beach is okay. Chairs were good. People were not especially friendly or nice working the bar there. Luckily we only spent an hour or two there out of our day. A hamburger with chips was $10 and a cheeseburger with chips was $12. We did not eat because we just decided to wait. If I had ONLY done the Bannister Island trip.....I would not have been happy!

I also highly recommend X-treme for cave-tubing and zip-lining (belizecruiseexcursions.com). We did the combo on our prior trip to Belize and it was $90 for BOTH. Carnivals was more expensive for one or the other.

We did not do an excursion through Carnival.

We took a taxi to Chankanaab Parque. Admission is $19 per person for adults. $17 if you buy online before you go. Always a pleasure and the water was clear, beautiful, and great as always. (Others on our cruise went to Playa Mia and complained that the water/beaches were not good/clean).

Food here is not inexpensive but is always good. Their guacamole was the best according to my family who loves it. I highly recommend the pineapple Pina Colada---it comes in an actual hollowed out pineapple. My daughter said it was the best drink she had ever had. It was about $15. A regular pina colada was also great and was $5.

We take our own snorkel gear, but all of that is available at the park also.

You can also do Seatrek, Snuba, Dolphin Encounter, etc. at Chankanaab and it is less than if you book it through carnival. You can also get an additional discount by buying these online also.

Read 3083 Cozumel Reviews

You must tender to Grand Cayman, but the process is not the same as with Belize. You basically just go get on a tender and go. With Belize, you must get a ticket to ride the tender (no charge, but a different process).

We did the Carnival excursion to the Sea Turtle Farm, Stingray City, and Hell. It was worth the money and was a lot of fun. My children (all college age) said it was their favorite port on this trip.

Hell was worth seeing, but glad there were other stops on our excursion.

Sea Turtle Farm was great and our guide was great. We held baby sea turtles!

Stingray City was fun but on this excursion we did not get to feed them as we had done on another cruise with an excursion outside of Carnival.

My family loved this tour and the port.

Overall: A ++++

We did not dock at Mahogany Bay due to Hurricane Alex and high winds. We docked at Coxen Hole (as we had done previously).

Carnival canceled all excursions to Mahogany Bay which fortunately we were not a part of.

We ventured on our own and found a shuttle to take us to Tabyana Beach for $10 per person each way. They took us to the Mayan Princess where we paid $10 per person for a day pass. Amazing swimming pool. Beach was nice. Food was not cheap. Three dishes---hamburger, chicken fingers, and nachos---$70. It was decent, not great.

We also had a guide who hopped on the van who worked for tips. Nice addition and he helped me get the pottery I wanted when we returned near the ship. Super nice guy (Marcus). He was very knowledgeable about Roatan. I love this port, but would prefer that I had better planned my day/excursion.

The water on the beach near our boat was nasty and full of garbage. Our guide said this was from the mainland and due to the storm. They were to clean it up when all of the garbage had washed ashore. This was not like that on a previous trip so I believe what our guide said.

This is a VERY impoverished island. VERY. I took cereal off the boat and gave it to children. If I return to Roatan, I will pack a suitcase full of children's clothes and books to leave for them. Really nice people.

On a previous cruise, we did the snorkeling excursion through Carnival. Some of the most beautiful sites in the Caribbean.

I never felt unsafe here and was glad we did not get to dock at Mahogany Bay.

Read 1642 Roatan Reviews