Crown Princess Cruise Review by Sweetd: Great Transatlantic Voyage on Crown!!

Sweetd
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Transatlantic Cruises

Great Transatlantic Voyage on Crown!!

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Transatlantic

* Background Information: I'm a single, 66 yo seasoned, cruiser. 25 cruises in past 5 years. Live in NY. Really enjoy Transatlantic voyages & this was one of best.

* Hotel Info (if any): Stayed couple of nights in Ft. Lauderdale before cruise at Riverside Hotel. What a lovely place. Got it on Priceline.com & it was great.

* Travel To Port of Embarkation: Enjoyed my 2 days in Ft. Lauderdale area before cruise. Always go couple of days early before cruise leaves so there are no issues.

* Ship Info: The Crown Princess is a really lovely vessel. Very clean & well maintained also well appointed. Plenty of room in public areas & on decks to roam. Quality of fellow passengers was also great. Everyone was very pleasant, interesting & friendly. One really nice touch on this ship was automatic doors on all areas leading from interior of ship to outside decks. Haven't seen this on any other ship. This was Transatlantic voyage with 9 nights at More sea. I was a bit concerned because of so many nights at sea but turned out to be wonderful. Longest time at sea in past was 7 nights on QM2.

* Activities: Enjoyed Movies with the Stars on pool deck except a bit cold a few nights. Cruise Director & staff were very good. Would have liked more cooking demonstrations. There were many activities available during sea days. Crew made every effort to keep us busy & happy.

* Service: Excellent throughout voyage. Staff was very friendly & always accommodating. I attribute this to the Captain. He was great & funny. Not stuffy at all. Staff seemed very happy & showed it to the passengers.

* Port & Shore Excursions: Ports were very good. Two were new for me so I really enjoyed them. Took one of ships Shore Excursions & it was very good. Handled professionally, although slight bit disorganized. Really wish shuttles at ports would be built into cost of cruise. Only way to get into town at some of the ports was by shuttle. Didn't have a choice so would have been better if included.

* Stateroom: Well appointed & comfortable. Cabin Steward was great. Took super care of me & listened to my requests when I first got on board. Had problem with my balcony door opening on its own. He provide a great solution. Would like more light in bathroom but it was OK.

* Dining: Really enjoyed the Open Choice Dining. Ate in the Da Vinci Restaurant every evening. Never had to wait for a table & had very good to excellent food & service throughout. Breakfast was in the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe. Found it was better than dining room although dining room was fine. Also enjoyed the Vines Restaurant/Bar in lobby for sushi & International Cafe for their chicken salad & shrimp. The coffee on this ship was great. The cookies were also better than other ships I've been on.

* Entertainment: Very good to excellent throughout. Productions show were very well done & cute. Comedians were great. Most of musical guest performers were also great. Lounges also had very talented entertainers & venues.

* Disembarkation: It was raining when we disembarked. Exit from ship was one of fastest I've experienced but had a jam up leaving from baggage area. Only had one way in/out & people were trying to get on while we were leaving. Caused a bit of a mess but worked out fine in the end.

* Summary: One of best cruises I've experienced. Ship, staff, food, entertainment, ports & fellow passengers were memorable & outstanding. Would definitely travel on this ship in the future. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja B222

My cabin was great. Good location near forward elevators. Very quiet. Excellent closet space. Would have liked more light in bathroom but not really bad. Balcony door kept opening on its own but cabin steward had great solution. They put duvet on beds & I requested top sheet instead. Cabin steward accommodated this request without having to ask again or remind him.

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities in Europe. I've been here several times & always enjoy visiting. I met a friend who lives here & we walked around (in the rain). Walked the Rambla, went to the market, visited some area I've not seen before. Had a great time here.

Port is really Livorno, Italy. Got a late start since I was only going to go to Pisa but went with couple from ship to Pisa & Lucca. Had train problems & nearly missed the ship but we made it back with 15 minutes to spare. Got caught not validating tickets (a must!)on train & had to pay 40 euro penalty. Luckily was able to talk agent out of charging all of us. Both of these towns were great. Highly recommended.

Hit really hard rain when leaving port to walk into town but weather cleared up & was able to take cable car up to top to view area. Also took bus to lighthouse which was worth trip. This is a lovely town & great port to visit. This was my second time here & still enjoyed it.

Was a bit disappointed with shuttle arrangement here. Was only way to get into city since it was a holiday. Service didn't start until 8:15am even though we arrived at 7am. Took the train to Avignon & visited the Palace of the Popes & other sites in the quaint, charming town. Came back to Marseilles & walked around briefly before taking shuttle back to ship. There is a lot of places to visit from this port. Will definitely come back again some time.

Disembarked in Civitavecchia for train to Rome Termini. No problem except for raining. It is only 15 minute walk to train station from entrance to port. If you have lot of bags the cabs will get you but if you only have 2 bags you can walk it easily.