Carnival Dream Cruise Review by SandS0817: 1st Time is Always a CHARM

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

1st Time is Always a CHARM

Sail Date: June 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Welp, I'm back... and what a WONDERFUL time we had on this lovely ship. I cannot wait to plan another go 'round.

First things first, The ship is absolutely HUGE! First day was very overwhelming, because, well, I'd never been on a cruise ship before so I had no idea what to expect. After exploring for about an hour, we finally got comfortable with knowing how to get to our interior room (which I might add, that I will never book again).

The room (6256) was clean and kept very tidy by our room steward Ken. He was great! The interiors are very snug, so my personal opinion to anyone who plans to book one with more than 2 people in your party, be prepared to be on top of each other. We rarely spent anytime in the room because of this reason, but I guess that is the point. With that being said, even when we did turn in I felt claustrophobic perhaps because there was no window. We found ourselves propping the door open on occasion just to let some air in.

The More first port was Cozumel, Mexico. We did the Clear Kayak and snorkel adventure. The kayak was canceled however due to the strong winds that day. We still enjoyed the snorkeling with Roman. He was excellent. I got some absolutely excellent underwater pics, and a pic of me with a parrot on my head and iguana in my hand for a fee of $5.00 I took a picture of a nice man with us on the excursion too - I am hoping he's on here so I can send him the picture!!

After the snorkeling we hung out on the beach and then came back aboard the ship. All in all great time in Cozumel.

One thing I did notice was most of the places to eat were closed at odd times. The pasta bar was only open from 12-2pm and Wasabi, I have NO IDEA what the hours were for this spot. It was hit or miss for us. Sometimes we got lucky and they were open. There was one time where they offered salads. It was really good! I only got to try the pasta bar once the whole trip. Mostly because we were always off the ship when it was open, and the other time it was temporarily closed because there were just too many people. The buffet was the same way. I think they closed around 4pm and open back up at 6pm. Just be prepared. We had the idea that everything was available at all times until it got late, (10pm or so) then your options are hot dogs, pizza, and the like. This was not the case. Still great food!!! I guess you just have to know when to catch them open.

Next stop was Isla Roatan. Boy oh BOY was it humid on this day!!! It was hot and the air was still... but it was sooooo beautiful!! We did a little shopping and hit the magical chair ride over to the beach. Since we were unable to do the Kayaking in Cozumel, we decided to do it here. It was really fun!! This was pretty much all we did here.. on our way to get in the water, we saw a young girl in a great deal of pain with her foot in a bucket with medical staff surrounding her. I am assuming she got stung by a jellyfish I am not certain. But this really deterred me from getting in the water LOL so we decided to get back to the boat.

Next stop was Belize.

I was really really surprised. We did the Cave tubing adventure and this was really really a lot of fun... we really enjoyed it.. even the HIKE THROUGH THE JUNGLE lol

The bus ride there was about an hour and a half through the city of Belize. WOW is all I can say. The tour guide was really great and informative. I learned a lot about the lifestyle and culture. I think her name was Marsha.

I sampled the wine and wanted to try the Belize beer but was afraid

We were supposed to stop in Costa Maya but the weather conditions prohibited it. I was really disappointed that they offered no alternatives. Instead they gave a $9.51 credit per person. Hmph!

The comedy shows late night were excellent! We also stopped in on one of the shows in the encore room which was really good too. The lighting in there makes everything look 3D!

Dining room was great when we went We got so caught up with everything else on the ship that we only went to the MDR twice the whole cruise. But we made excellent friends at dinner and the food was delicious.

The Lido deck was pretty much where my husband and I hung out a majority of the time. There seemed to be something going on there all the time. We watched Avatar, Terminator, Mariah Carey, and other stuff on the big screen which was pretty awesome.

The hairy chest contest was very very comical!! I loved it.

We also were part of the longest conga line, the mardi gras bead throwing, (I got 4 necklaces)and the night where the Dream dancers had on those silly punk rock wigs! LMAO!! That was cool.

I LOVED Impressions. The band was really good and we pretty much went everywhere they were.

The casino was pretty good to me. I played craps and every time I was there I had a really fun group at the table. We made the best out of it whether we won or lost.

All in all it was a GREAT experience. MY husband and I met a lot of people just by sitting on the deck. Perfect strangers would just come up to us and either join us or ask us to join them. We'd get to know each other, laugh and joke and just have a great time.

It's just sad that this kind of friendliness and togetherness among people that are perfect strangers only happens in this kind of setting. Makes me sad that we had to leave.

Guess it's back to reality!

Oh, BTW.. there was a lady on here that said she had two red head kids.. I was supposed to meet and greet with them but simply lost track of time. I think I saw you once or twice.. you wouldn't happen to call one of your sons "tater" would you?

*****WORD TO THE WISE***** PRE-PAY EVERYTHING YOU CAN!!! From gratuities, to drink coupons.. the more you prepay, the less you'll be hit with at the end. This is what we did. Our S&S account was less than $200.00 when we left and we didn't conserve. At least I didn't feel like we did. Plus they refunded us 20% on the excursion that was canceled which I thought was fair. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Upper 6256

Interior cabins are really small and claustrophobic in my opinion. Spend the extra if you can and at least invest in a room with a window. Room 6256 is in close proximity to the Encore, so if there is a show, be prepared to hear it word for word in stereo surround sound without the visual LOL