Carnival Glory Cruise Review by minutemouse

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: minutemouse
Cruise Date: June 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8A
Public Rooms 5+

The good & the bad on Carnival Glory
Family of four, two adults with two children 11 & 8. Balcony cabin, 5 night cruise from NYC with stops in Halifax & St. John.

First the good: Carnival Glory is a wonderful vessel. Everything is very clean and the crew works tirelessly to keep it that way. Cabin was very large. Unlike others, I had no problem with the layout of the ship, getting my feel of things by evening of night one. Once the cruise was underway, there were few times I ran into crowds which was a surprise on a ship this large. Pools were small, but plenty of deck chairs available even on sea days. Kids LOVED the water slide. Ports of call were wonderful. Did not participate in any organized shore excursions, but instead chose to explore both ports on our own and we were not disappointed. Weather out at sea was a little dicey...often cold & foggy, but in ports we had awesome weather with mid 70's and almost no humidity. When we finally arrived back in NYC, the humidity hit us like a ton of bricks. Sailing out of NYC was breathtaking....being a NJ resident, I've seen Miss Liberty countless times, but this is the first time I've ever seen her face (for those unaware, NJ has a view of her butt, not her face).

Now on to the bad, which can be summed up in one word: Food Let's face it....no matter how great the ship is, how great the crew is, how great the ports are, if the food is bad it leaves a bad impression on the cruise and this is what happened to us. Even my 11 y/o voiced her displeasure (without being coaxed). I hope that most of my issues were caused by the fact that we were late seating, but even if true, this is no excuse.

Platinum Dining Room: Best of the lot, but that's not saying much. More than once we were seated with a tablecloth that had stains/spills on it from first seating. Certainly unacceptable. If the food was hot I would have considered it slightly below average. Unfortunately, nothing arrived at our table hot. Luke warm was the hottest it got. Charger plates were removed before the entree arrived and we watched the waiter wipe them off with a napkin to prepare them for setting the table again later. Pretty gross, but sums up the entire food service on this vessel.

Red Sail Cafe: Ever eaten at Old Country Buffet or Golden Corral? Well make the food cold and you're close. There's no local health department in the Atlantic Ocean to make inspections and check temperatures of food and Carnival takes full advantage of this. While the food was cold, the desserts were hot. Nothing like following up a bad meal with a slice of hot cheesecake. We ate every meal late due to late dinner assignment and perhaps this explains the vastly different opinions on the food, but this food borders on inedible. One other tidbit: They use plastic cups for water, lemonade, etc. that are really pretty gross. Remind me of toddler cups. Well, I witnessed an employee taking cups that people left on the drink line (common due to the fact that the juice & lemonade dispensers were not filled properly and dispensed nothing more than colored water), pour out the contents, bring the cups over to the coffee machine, rinse them with hot water from the machine, and put them back for others to use. Sorry, but true. Coupled with the charger plate procedures, this makes me wonder what goes on behind closed doors in the kitchen.

Grill: How to murder a hamburger. Take a nice piece of ground beef, cook it until done, cook it 10 minutes more, put it on a bun that's so stale it's crunchy and serve. This sums up the grill.

Pizza: Not too shabby. Always hot, never a line...basically the least objectionable option.

Wok: Sometimes I just don't understand corporate decisions. Let's take the best food area on the ship, put it in the smallest place, and have it open for only 3 hours/day. Waited on line about 20 minutes the first day. Never got near it again as the lines grew longer each day. I assume because the other choices were so bad.

Deli: Sandwiches are not my thing for lunch, but these were OK. If I wanted to eat a turkey sandwich for lunch, I'll just go to work.

Mexican: Pretty good with manageable lines. Certainly an option when you get tired of the pizza.

Do you get the picture? Poor food handling practices + low quality + uncaring staff = food disaster. It's really too bad, as it really was a wonderful ship and cruise otherwise.

Publication Date: 07/04/10