Grand Princess Cruise Review by SammyP

Cruise Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: II
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Romance, Adventure & Wheelchairs
There were 6 of us in total. My boyfriend 23, his mum and dad both 49, grandma 81, grandad 83 and me 21. We were all very excited to be going on the Grand Princess as we'd heard such good things about it. Plus my boyfriend's grandma & grandad kept telling us how this would be their last holiday ever (they say this every year!)

Our first impression of the ship was "wow". It looks stunning and very classy. Checking in was a breeze and everyone was so lovely to my boyfriend's grandma who isn't very good on her legs and was in a wheelchair. She was wheeled around by some lovely young men and seemed to be in her element. Once on board the ship we were greated warmly and made our way to our rooms, which took a while as most cruises are mazes. Luckily a nice member of staff showed us the way.

My boyfriend and I stayed in a very cosy and clean inside cabin, as did his mum and dad. There was everything we needed here. Mini fridge, large dressing table and chair, tv, compact bathroom. Although we did notice that my boyfriend's mum and dad had a nice comfy chair and we didn't! We tired not to get too jealous ;) The only downside was the hairdryer really which was like someone blowing on your hair. Then again I do have long thick hair so it's a challenge for any hairdryer!

Secretly and meticulously, my boyfriend's mum had spent a long time organising a surprise balcony room for grandma and grandad to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. As expected there were lots of tears and bubbly floating around. Their room was stunning. It was the first time i'd been in a balcony cabin on a cruise. It was very large and spacious with lots of light. Beautifully decorated and with tea and coffee making facilities which they found very handy as they struggle walking too much. The table and chairs on the balcony were used all the time by them.

First impressions of the ship we very good. The staff were falling over themselves to get us anything we needed. Everything from the theatre to the restaurants to the pool area were immaculate and could not be faulted.

There was alot to do on board for me and my boyfriend. We loved the swimming pools, mini golf and cinema. We all really enjoyed doing quizzes and watching the evening shows (watch out for the comedians and don't sit in the front seats. Bad combination)

The food, as on most ships was wonderful. Although my boyfriend and I did feel it wasn't quite as good as Royal Caribbean and we found ourselves struggling to choose some nights. What did arrive though was faultless. Horizon Court was how we expected it to be, simple and nice. They always had a really good selection and lots of staff were about to top up drinks.

The highlight of our holiday was definitely on the fifth night. That was the night I'd gone for a stroll with my boyfriend he he'd proposed to me on deck 16! I was absolutely over the moon and we had a fantastic meal at Sabatini's. The steak there is fantastic and we had a lovely talk with the waitress, she was very friendly.

The only downside I can think of is that my card was charged for a Stella and an energy drink which I had never ordered. If I needed anything I put it on my boyfriends card to make life easier. After much dispute I did get a refund but it's very hard to prove that you didn't buy something!

Publication Date: 07/03/10