Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Sue Denny: A Luxurious Way to spend a Spring Bank Holiday

Sue Denny
0 Post

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises

A Luxurious Way to spend a Spring Bank Holiday

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Southampton

Having arrived at the new Cunard terminal at Southampton when I arrived home from the Autumn Colours cruise in October it was a very pleasant surprise to check in at the new terminal. No more standing in line, just a smiling hostess to hand us a coloured card bearing a letter, and a 'please have a seat and listen for your letter to be called'. In no time at all we had checked in, been welcomed aboard and found our bags ready and waiting outside our cabin.

This had been very much a last minute idea, to have a few days of QM2 luxury before flying off to Boston for our 'real' three week holiday in New England and Canada, so we had opted for an inside stateroom with atrium view on the basis we would be sailing at night and sightseeing ashore by day. We opened our curtains to find we had a birdseye view of the Grand Lobby and the beautiful lighted mural was right outside our window. These rooms are also slightly larger than the general inside ones.

We booked online More through an American agency and were delighted to find they had supplied a plate of delicious chocolate dipped strawberries and $50 each onboard credit.

We headed up to the Kings Court for a late lunch, but many of the areas were closing in preparation for the lifeboat drill. This was our first and as it turned out final visit to eat in the Kings Court this trip.

Lifeboat drill saw us back in the Kings Court briefly, then it was off to the sailaway party. Dinner in the Britannia Restaurant saw the high standard of service one would expect of Cunard. We were on a table for six, but there were just four of us. After dinner we watched the Cunard singers and dancers performing what for us was a brand new show.

We arrived on time at Zeebrugge, and were fortunate to have a friend pick us up at the dock gates to show us around Bruges. What a beautiful city - I would describe it as a perfect cruise destination, as it is close to port and easy to see in a day. And of course the chocolates are gorgeous!

We were tired when we arrived back on board and too late for afternoon tea, so we decided to skip the captain's cocktail party and take our time getting dressed in our black and white finery for dinner - full table of six this time and everyone very sociable.

As it turned out there was the perfect table just waiting for us as we came out of the Britannia Restaurant after dinner in the Chart Room, so we sat and listened to the excellent jazz there for the rest of the evening. The Chart Room is a favourite spot of mine, but too often difficult to find a seat.

My travelling companion is a cigar smoker and on our previous transatlantic voyages he had enjoyed the company of other cigar fans in the Churchill Room off the Commodore bar, but this time found it crammed with cigarette smokers, I guess due to Cunard's change in smoking policy.

Next day we arrived in Rotterdam in pouring rain. The coach trip to Amsterdam took well over an hour, but the tour guide kept us informed all the way and walked with us as far as Dam Square once we arrived. The rain made sightseeing on foot difficult, so we took a canal boat trip in a glass topped boat, which immediately steamed up throughout!! We found a great table outdoors but under cover in Dam Square for lunch. The sun, of course, decided to come out as we departed.

Afternoon tea back on board was in Sir Samuel's - a favourite spot of mine. This was originally a wine bar and very little used during the day, but now it doubles up as a coffee shop it has become a very popular meeting place.

After dinner we just had to see 'Appassionata' I must have seen this show at least four times, but the singers and dancers change, so it was a pleasure to see it again. We chose the Commodore as our nightcap location and the waitress was happy to get me a favourite drink - the Milky Way - although it is no longer on the drinks menu.

Monday morning saw us arrive in Cherbourg in brilliant sunshine. I live not far away, so I know that Cherbourg is closed on Monday morning, but no-one in the tour office either was aware of this or bothered to impart the information (they had also moved Mont St Michel to Brittany on their information sheet, which the people of Normandy - where it is actually situated - had not been told!). We stayed on board and relaxed in the sun. But of course when we went to the Britannia for lunch everyone was saying that everything was closed. I told them it would all be open after two in the afternoon. This was the only day we had the opportunity to enjoy afternoon tea in the ballroom.

We late sitting diners had our show early as, all too quickly, it was the evening for packing up ready for disembarkation. After dinner a quick flutter in the Casino. Last time I had played the same table I was sitting across from Rod Stuart and Penny Lancaster. No such luck this time, but this was no Transatlantic crossing! Very different clientele and I really missed the daytime activities like the RADA classes, bridge lessons, regular afternoon teas in the Queen's Room, etc.

All in all an enjoyable bank holiday weekend which set us up nicely for our holiday to come, but it will be longer voyages for me in the future as I do not think this type of cruise allows enough sea time. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Inside - Atrium View Deck 5 5109

5109 Best of the inside staterooms with a window overlooking the Grand Lobby and atrium. Not huge, but hey who spends all day in the cabin.

I give this four rather than five because of the actual port of Zeebrugge, which is a commercial port and it was very difficult to have a friend pick us up and drop us off. I was not informed that she would have to have a special pass to get anywhere near us, although she was allowed to drop us off at the end of the day as we were with her. So if you are having friends pick you up at Zeebrugge please bear this in mind.

Bruges itself if a beautiful little city. We spent hours just sitting in the main square just drinking coffee or having lunch. The canal tour is a must and there are plenty of places to pick up a boat and do this.

The old historic building are well preserved and very pretty and of course there are chocolateries and lace shops galore.

Some people were also taking a carriage ride, which we did not have time to do, but looked good.

Ideal place to see in a day.

We docked at the Holland America terminal where the local people had set up stalls, and later put on a show for us.

Rotterdam itself is a modern city, and we only drove through it on the way to Amsterdam.

Hard to judge a city in the pouring rain, and the royal palace, one of the main attractions, was covered in plastic. A canal tour is a good way of seeing plenty of the city without too much walking and without getting wet.