Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Lee Worth: Free Style Cruising they call it??,

Free Style Cruising they call it??,

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

Well I don't know what to say about this cruise ship, we have cruised on many ships over the last 25 years and I have to say this is the first time I have every been able to close the toilet door, adjust the a/c control, make a cup of coffee, dry my hair from the vanity unit, wash my and face in the sink all without leaving the comfort of my bed. To say our "large family cabin" was small is an understatement, the words "bed sit" is more appropriate to describe our stateroom. If you are standing at the sink getting washed or sitting on the chair looking into the mirror then no one can get passed you without climbing onto the bed, the cabin layout is a total joke. Now I would like to speak about the bathroom or should I say lack of bathroom, there is no separate bathroom at all, you have a small round toilet compartment as you enter the cabin on one side and another small round compartment on the other side both with frosted glass doors so when you are in either the shower or toilet the More whole cabin can see what you are up to. There is a sink inside the cabin itself which is the size of a bird bath and when you turn the tap on it fills up in about 10 seconds and then overflows directly onto the floor next to your bed, this may be the way forward so they tell me but I am sorry to say this is not for me. What we do in a bathroom is private and should be separate to the rest of the cabin.

The public areas on deck 5.6 and 7 are very nice but lack seating space, deck 5 is mostly taken up by the reception area, photo gallery, internet cafe leaving just a small amount of seating around the atrium. Deck 6 is almost all Casino with smokers scattered everywhere so its very hard to pass from one end of the ship to the other without inhaling all the smoke. Deck 7 has all the shops and a couple of small bars but once again a big lack of seating.

The sun decks are great with plenty of seats and plenty of places to eat "free of charge" lol, and the kids area is wonderful. The ship has a lovely spa on deck 14 but you will need to make sure your bank loan has been put in place before you travel as everything is very expensive, you even have to pay for the steam room & sauna room.

Everywhere you go on this ship you will have to stand in line, even for the dinner show (which has a $15 charge per person). If you have booked to see the Blue Men then you will have to stand in line, if you have booked for the comedy show then you will stand in line and when it came to disembarkation in New York, 5 hours we waited to get off the ship and clear customs.

This was no holiday I can assure you, this cruise has left me very annoyed. With the hiked up prices of the drinks (£5 a pint and £8 for a cocktail ) good job its all DUTY FREE ha ha ha and the long lines everywhere I was so happy to reach my hotel this evening in New York. My hotel room is 4 times larger than my bed sit, the drinks are half the price and there are no lines I have to wait in to go anywhere.

Sorry NCL, I don't think you will be seeing me again, you are taking the mick out of us all by over- charging for everything. Bigger ships mean more people to rip off.

Lee Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic

Family balcony cabin,,,, a total joke. not good at all