Avalon Felicity Cruise Review by paulinda: Rhine - wine - and really no whine

Rhine - wine - and really no whine

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Amsterdam

We cruised the Rhine river on Avalon's newest ship for 2010 the Felicity. The ship is smaller in size with room for 138 passengers plus crew. It is modern in design with a spacious lounge in the bow and a smaller more casual lounge with coffee,tea, fruit drinks and snacks in the stern. There is a small exercise room with several pieces of equipment on the lower deck, the mid deck has the restaurant and the sun deck.

Our cabin was in the lowest deck without a balcony window yet it was very well appointed with twin beds pulled together to form one large bed, a small bathroom with shower and desk area. Not having a balcony window did not bother us a bit and we did not feel being lower in the water affected us in the least. We did not hear the 'roar' of the engines either as the Felicity promotes itself as a quite boat. We did however on occasion smell cigarette smoke which we complained about. Not sure why, but it usually only happened when we were in port.

The food More was quite good. Breakfasts were served at 7am and they were buffets with a chef available to cook omelets or eggs the way you wanted them. I thought the baked goods weren't up to European standards as they tasted kind of boxed. I've usually had excellent baked goods (croissants, pastries, etc) on my other trips to Europe.

For lunch they had a lite lunch served in the lounge which usually consisted of buffet salad, pasta and desserts. In the main restaurant they served a buffet lunch. We ate there several times and I truly enjoyed their 'Cologne meatballs' and roast pork. They also served a set meal you could select which consisted of made to order type sandwiches - hamburger, monte cristo etc. I thought the lunches were quite good!

Dinner was outstanding!! All 5 course settings except for the 1st and last nights. Veal, duck, lamb, beef, fish were all IMO very good. Usually there were 3 standards to select from and 3 specially prepared meals. I did however not like the rosti I had one evening, it had the consistency of a frozen potato. Wine and beer are free flowing at dinner.

Night time entertainment consisted usually of a piano player however we did enjoy a trio of classical musicians one evening and a wood carving exhibition. The musicians were fantastic, the wood carving not so.

Daily tours were OK, although if I ever went again I would skip some of them to do more independent sight seeing.

The crew was always gracious to us. They were always polite, smiling and willing to help. Our Cruise Director Robert Z was fantastic and we always got a kick out of his shoe colors matching his shirt colors. I was very impressed with a younger person's ability to direct older people in the way he did.

Overall we enjoyed our trip although I must say 7 nights is way to short to visit as many ports as we did. You really don't get to see a lot of each port. Less

Read more Avalon Felicity cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Avalon Felicity Review >>

Cabin review: Avalon Felicity 105

Cabins were great even though we were in the lowest deck. Bathrooms well laid out, clean and modern. The shower stall was small but adequate. The closets were adequate although drawer space was limited. Your luggage gets stowed under the beds which left plenty of room. The beds were very comfortable. The pillows are huge and my wife is use to a smaller pillow. A/c and heat worked excellent and since my wife likes to be cool we used it a lot. I would rec. getting a 2nd or 3rd deck cabin next time for the view.

Our air flight took us to Amsterdam. We were to meet our group at the 'red and white' structure in the airport. We were a bit frantic when at first we couldn't find the 'red and white' structure and everyone we asked looked at us like we were from another planet. We finally found it on our own. The directions to the meeting place could be better.

In Amsterdam we did a canal cruise which was very neat. The guide gave an excellent oratory about Amsterdam. I highly recommend taking the canal trip.

Second port ot call was Cologne Germany. We had plenty of time to do independent tour of this city. The included tour was a walking tour with a guide. The cathedral is the main draw of this city and it is HUGE! Worth the time to visit.