Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by 2xited4cruise: Honeymooning in the Mediterranean

2xited4cruise
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jade Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Honeymooning in the Mediterranean

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

First a little bit about ourselves. We are a young newly married couple from Massachusetts. We are Disney Vacation Club Timeshare owners and travel there every 9 months or so but have never been on a cruise together. We chose Norwegian Jade itinerary and the price and we are extremely happy that we di.

BARCELONA REVIEW We flew into Barcelona the Friday before the cruise, and stayed in an apartment we rented from inside-bcn.com. If you REALLY want to live like a local I highly recommend these guys. Their office is a located just steps away from the #2 tapas bar in all of Barcelona, Cal Pep. We checked in but our apartment was not ready so we left our luggage there and decided to walk around the Gothic Quarter including the Picasso Museum which was less than a 10 minute walk. Later, we saw people queueing up outside of a building and and decided that since our room wouldn't be ready until 2 we would get in line also. (Not knowing what it was for) It turns out we were More waiting for a tapas bar to open (Cal Pep). We were there at opening (1:30) and still weren't seating until almost 2:00, but this food was amazing and definitely worth the wait, the calamari was my favorite. It was an expensive meal but it got us in the mood for Barcelona. Our Apartment was a TINY 1 bedroom In between Santa Maria Del Mar, The Train Station (Estation Franca) and Parc de La Ciutadella. Like I said the apartment was tiny but for 75 Euros a night I would happy stay in a smaller place in an amazing location. On Saturday we rented a moped from Cooltra Scooters, in Barceloneta for 6 hours and it cost only 25 Euro. We traveled to Sagrada Familia and Park Guell to see Guadis work. (If you are planning on going to both there is a discounted combo pack ticket you can purchase at Sagrada) We also traveled to the top of one of the mountains to take some good pictures of Barcelona and drove through las Ramblas, we decided that a drive through the street was more than enough time we wanted to spend there. On Sunday we had planned to wake up early and explore some more but decided to wake up around 10 (which is well before locals wake up so don't expect ANY stores to be open before then) We packed our things and got a cab to the cruise port. I am not sure if the Jade is always at Terminal A but it was for us.

CRUISE REVIEW Embarkation was extremely easy eventhough we were told to go through the wrong line. The second we got on the ship I had a drink in my hand I loved every second of it. Our room wasn't ready so we got lunch and sat at the stern of the ship. Eat the sushi during your first lunch, it won't be there until the end of the week. Our room was a lower category balcony (BD) on Deck 8 forward starboard side. During the trip it felt like the port side always had the best views but now I feel like I was having a case of the "grass is always greener" syndrome. In the future we will not book balcony's a port hole is fine for us, but since it was our honeymoon we decided to upgrade. Our room steward Nata (or Nada) introduced himself to us right away and remembered our names instantly (along with his staff), which was an amazing touch. We sat poolside for the cast off party and watched as the cruise director staff got everyone dancing. It was a great way to start the cruise.

The first night we decided to try Grand Pacific, it seemed elegant and we were happy to be seated next to one of the windows. That is until our waiter, Andrew from Jamaca, arrived. Normally, I think it is mean to bash someone online but this guy deserves it. Keep in mind we were in the best spirits starting off this cruise and so happy to be on our honeymoon. First he comes by and literally throws the basket of bread our table, then when my wife wasn't ready and said "Marc you go first..." It makes a large "hmph" noise and walks away. It then comes back and takes my wifes drink order, asks for her card and then walks away again without asking me if I didn't want anything to drink. So I decided to drink water to avoid further complications. We the wrong meals came he was clearly upset at us, and I felt like it was my fault that I didn't order what we recieved. Needless to say If you walk into the Grand Pacific and Andrew is your waiter, walk out. We decided not to return there for the remainder of the Cruise.

The first night we went to the show in the Main Theater and met the amazing Cruise Staff, they openly said that they read the reviews on the ship, so I want to personally thank them for making our vacation amazing! We took part in as much activities as we could but we were asleep most nights by 10pm and off the ship by 10am. The next day "Freestyle Dailies" are delivered each evening while you are at dinner and always offer some sort of duty free or spa deals. Be aware that if you see a good Spa deal book it then. My wife made the mistake of thinking that a great deal would be offered on the Sea day and that wasn't the case. You will get to know the same 20 songs the band at the poolside offers because they play them over and over again. Some of them must be European songs because I had never heard them but I was singing along by day 3. As I said earlier we never set foot again in Grand Pacific, but Alizar was a good alternative but completely different atmosphere, (louder, which we didn't mind). The third night we ate at Tapiolos, Tex Mex. I am not an expert on Tex Mex coming from the New England but it was very good for my taste buds, but by judging by the abundance of seating I would say that the large number of Texan's on board did not approve.

Many nights we would sneah down to Blue Lagoon after Bingo or the Show to eat some Buffalo Wings, which are advertised as "HOT" but they were just right for me. We ate at the French restaurant strictly because I love escargot and we had a great meal there. Our final night we at at Tappenyaki which was absolutely amazing. My one complaint was that on Day 1 I asked to make a reservation for Tappenyaki on our at sea day and the woman said that reservations could only be made 24 hours in advance. This appeared to be untrue when I called exactly 24 hours prior and was unable to get a table and had to go the last night, which wasn't really a problem but was a great end to the vacation. Tappenyaki always was filled up first so make your reservations early, it appears that rest of the restaurants didn't require reservations as we just walked up each time.

Disembarkation was extremely easy as we chose to carry our bags off, we took a cab from the port to the airport which was 40 Euro, a little bit of a shock since the cab FROM the airport to our apartment when we first arrived was only 30, and our return trip was much closer. At the Barcelona Airport beware of the duty free shop. You can purchase wine after you have already checked your bags and put it in carry on, but if you have a connecting flight into the US from Canada the US customs in Canada will throw it out. Which makes sense as you can't have more than the 10 ounces but it was just frustrating to have it thrown out. If you have time check out my port reviews, we did a mix of traveling on our own & NCL excursions. Less

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jade Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 8 8030

Great Balcony , over Bow thrusters so pulling into port was a little noise

We docked in Livorno and were nervous for our NCL shore excursion because it was very rainy this morning. We chose Pisa and a Taste of Tuscany, we boarded a bus with our wonderful tour guide Loirrana, who was from Spain but had been living in Italy for 10 years. She called us her family which was cute and put a nice touch on the trip. On our 45 minute trip to Pisa she gave us all sorts of information on the buildings we were driving by. We parked at a bus stop in Pisa and were instantly inundated with men selling ugly umbrellas. As the sun had come out I don't understand why they were all selling umbrellas, especially as there were at least 20 of them, poor business model if you ask me. Loirrana had warned of these guys and of street vendors selling knock offs, This is illegal in Italy and punishable by a big fine. However we saw hundreds of these guys and tons of cops and no one looked very nervous. We spent an hour at the Leaning Tower which was more than enough to get a picture and walk around. We went back to our bus and headed off for our Tuscan Vineyard tour at Luca. We were greated with an amazing tour guide whose husbad's family owned the vineyard. She took us in to the vineyard and told us stories about Pisa and Luca's history as well as educational sessions on wine and olive oil making. I am NOT a wine person but this was incredibly interesting. We then descended down and was fed a "traditional Tuscan Light lunch" as it was advertised and we had been reminded all day that it would be a "light lunch" however I will say that this was a HUGE lunch. Amazing Salad, Olives, Breads, Proscutto, cheeses, and most importantly for everyone there wine. Each table for 10 recieved 6 bottles of wine, (3 white and 3 red) at the end we were given a "sweet wine" to clense our palate. Needless to say EVERYONE was drunk at the end of the meal. However I we still had an hour left before the bus picked us up, which I think is planned to have everyone sober up. We then purchase some of the olive oil, olives and balsamic.

(5.5)
We originally had booked a shore excursion to Monaco and Nice for this day but it was cancelled due to lack of participation. I am so happy it was because we were more than capable of exploring Monaco on our own. We were the first off the ship and took a little train tour that was right on the dock for 8 or 9 euro's each. It lasted about 45 minutes and took you to see all the sites. It ends at the palace and you can walk around and take a later train back to the ship. We decided to walk down the hillside and walk to the Cafe du Paris, which is right next to the casino. Afterwards we headed back to the ship.

Read 189 Monaco Reviews

This port we completely got sucked in by one of the cabbies. We had planned to rent a car from Hertz and see Pompeii and Sorrento. He secretly followed us after I denied him once. there were no available cars at Hertz and the Hop on Hop Off bus was not running to pompeii, I know now that there is a train that runs directly there form Naples. TAKE THE TRAIN!! Our guy was really nice and took us to a cameo making shop where my wife bought a nice ring, then to Pompeii where he waited for about 2 hours. We did an audio tour which I can decide if it was worth it or not. Much of the time I spent trying to figure out where we were on the map, and pressing the buttons on the head sets. it was cool to know what buildings were what but I think if I had descriptions on the map I would have been satisfied. Buy water at one of the stands before you enter Pompeii, you are going to need it. Afterwards the cab took us back to the port. He was supposed to take us to the foot of vesuvious but at that point I just wanted to eat and be done with Naples. We we got out I asked which restuarant he would recomend for pizza, he said "Every Restaurant in Naples has good Pizza" so we chose the closest which happened to be named "Restaurante Pizzaeria". How could we go wrong with a place named 'Pizza Restaurant". The Pizza was the best I have every had in my life. The menu is in Italian but it was easy to figure out.

Read 643 Naples Reviews

We opted to relax at the beach. Print out a map of Palma before you go, you can show the cabbie exactly where you want to go before you get in. Beware beached in Palma are mostly topless. Which was a little weird to see topless women playing with their 10 year old sons, but that is a different culture I guess.

Docking in Chitavecchia we opted for taking the train to Rome. The train station is tiny and very confusing, There were no signs telling you what to do. If it wasn't for a local who spoke english telling me how to use the self ticketing machines, I think we would still be standing there. I accidentally purchase a one way ticket but I figured I would rectify that before leaving Rome. We boarded the train and chose what we thought were forward facing seats until. Instantly, I remembered the train would be turning around so we grabbed the last forward facing seat for my wife. I along with MANY MANY others stood for the hour long train ride. As their are NO maps we just got off when the majority of people got off. Luckily it was the Rome stop near the Vatican. To save some money we decided to download an Angels and Demon's path of illumination podcast. We started off at the Pantheon which was incredible, the podcast instructed us on places to use the bathroom and a great place for a pizza in the area. We skewed from the path to visit the Trevi Fountain nearby. We then walked to Santa Maria De Poppolo which was nice but the church was not open so we missed a whole leg of the podcast. We then walked aways planning on walking to the Vatican but unfortunately someone did not wear sneakers so we had to take a cab, but finding a cab stand was near impossible and it seamed that cabs refused to pick you up on the street. The Vatican was amazing but we didn't have time to do a tour so we opted to listen to our podcast and explore on our own. Afterwards we veered from the path and took a cab to the Colliseum. Which was incredible, but once again we didn't have time to wait in line for 45 minutes then take an hour long tour. so took another cab to the Piazza Novono, the fountains are amazing and the artwork is incredible. We learned that the men at the center fountain are designed to signify the four known continents at the time of construction. The American man is found with a weird alligator looking creature who is supposed to be an Armadillio but the description of the animal was lost in translation. We then walked to Castel San Angelo over the bridge of Angels and then walked on to pick up the train and head back to the ship.