Carnival Glory 5

“Glorious Canada!”
Cruise review of Carnival Glory

A&Jfamily

Overall Member Rating

We had been on the Glory in August of 2010 - that trip to the Eastern Carribean. It was nice to see the few upgrades and I still think this is a pretty ship.

We learned very quickly that a cruise to Canada has a totally different feel than the Carribean - not that we were surprised. The Lido deck on Tuesday morning, our first sea day, was not even close to being packed. We spent the morning on the Serenity Deck in one of those clam shells - covered by a blanket! Couldn't believe the brave souls that were in bathing suits taking in the sun. Hubby got a nice nap in though. And tea time @ 3:30? Wow! I bet there were 5 times as many people as on a carribean cruise. But they handled it well. Had dinner in the Steakhouse on Tuesday night and it was delicious as usual.

We encountered 2 minor problems on the ship - a first for us. The first was a defective lock to our room. We came back about 9:30, to find that our key didn't work. Luckily our Steward was right there, and More when his key didn't work, he called maintenance. My husband walked to camp to get our youngest, and just a minute after, the repair man was there and had it changed very quickly. The other issue concerned some moisture on the ceiling; we called and he was there within 2 minutes. Turns out it was just condensation from the vent in the ceiling - no big deal.

Our only issue was with Anytime Dining; I would not do it again, and I would discourage anyone with a party greater than 4 not to do it. They are set up well for 2's and 4 - but nothing more. We were traveling as 5, and the first night, with everyone watching the statue of libery and the bridge, we only had a 5 minute wait when we showed up at 6:45. The third night, however, we waited for 35 minutes. I will say, to the hostess' credit, she had a plate of sweets and an apology note delivered to the cabin later that night. The 4th night was not a problem as only 3 of us ate. But the last night? Wow! We showed up at 6:30 - having heard that most of the rush is 6:455 and later. They turned a table for 4 into 5 - and we had already waited an hour at that point!

We are just not fans of anytime dining. We had different wait staff each night, so it was impossible to tip extra at the end as I have always done. Also, my kids didn't get to bond with the waiters as they have in the past. It just doesn't have that personal feel, and we will go back to early seating for our next trip.

But all in all, a very enjoyable vacation. Less

Carnival Glory Cruises to Canada & New England

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Balcony

8A6372
A typical Carnival balcony cabin - location was not the best as you could hear the disco at night.

The drive to Peggy's Cove, and the site itself is wonderful. Book privately and get an early start - we beat the tour busses by 5 minutes and it made all the difference for pictures. Bought some great maple syrup and had a nice lobster lunch.

Read 447 Halifax Reviews

The town itself isn't much - but it does have some pretty buildings. But the Bay of Fundy is not to be missed. Rent a car and enjoy your day.

Published 06/23/10

Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review

Carnival Glory Cruises to Canada & New England

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?