Disney Magic Cruise Review by ingreece

Cruise Date: May 2010
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 11C
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
        3-6 3.0

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Disney is not for everyone
I was told the ship was almost at capacity with 2640 guests. 900 of the guests were children. I was given a free upgrade to a cabin with a large window which was nice. The cabin was clean and comfortable. My son loved the mini-tub.

Every one of the ports was great! I enjoyed four shore excursions with Disney and did some ports on my own. Two of the excursions went way over time and one (Dougga in Tunisia) even was 7.5 hours without any food which was hard.

There was so much chaos and noise everywhere that I personally could not relax. The Mickey pool was nice because it is so shallow and my son could swim without me but the engine noise was so loud that it was difficult to have a conversation with anyone nearby without shouting and my son couldn't hear me calling him. This was a real disappointment to me. I spent so much time watching my son swim and every time I was at the pool I was annoyed with the noise. They have a machine that goes around wiping up the water near the pool and that thing was kind of loud too. Noise, noise, noise- everywhere near the pools! I didn't even try to listen to my ipod. I would have had to turn it up so high that I would have damaged my ears.

The exhaust from the engine often blows into the pool areas too! Not good. The Goofy pool is way too small and there is usually a movie playing on the big screen. It was nice for my son to eat lunch there watching the movie, but be warned it is very loud and again you can hear the engine noise there.

Dinner was always very loud and chaotic. Had three bad main courses but other good ones too like lobster and rib eye. First night the main course (seafood risotto) came out cold and server was nowhere to be found. Never got another one. Another night I had to take my son to the toilet and informed my servers. When I returned my appetizer was sitting there cold and my table mate said they just set it down as soon as I left. Servers are very casual. Small touches are missing. Both my server and cabin steward shortened my name on the first meeting. Trying to be friendly I guess but I didn't like it. Dining on Disney is more like eating in a Denny's or IHOP. I've had much more professional service on RCCL. It suits many families just fine and most people didn't seem to mind the background noise of crying, shouting and the chaos of children getting up out of their seats and running around etc. I was not expecting this. I couldn't relax at dinner.

My son was injured by another child in the Oceaneer Club on the first day. The other child stormed up the slide while mine was sliding down. He bit his lip so bad that tissue was hanging down inside his mouth, blood was everywhere and he couldn't drink without a straw for about 7 days. I had to take him to the med unit. I was really surprised that my son didn't really like the kid's clubs. Perhaps it was the injury that tainted his view. The final day was at sea and there was no way I could get him to go in there so I had to miss a Brunch at Palo's. The workers are young, friendly but young and frankly after the injury on the first day I was always a little uneasy putting him in there. It often takes a long time to check in and out. The bracelet the kids wear are bulky and have a computer chip in them. Be sure to turn your pager and the braclet in or you'll be charged a total of $200.

Parents be warned that there are a lot of computers and video games. My son did say that they do turn them off sometimes but I never saw them doing so. It seemed that children could spend hours and hours in front of a screen. I was expecting better programming. My experience with kid's clubs with RCCL has been superior. My son did love the characters on the ship and was thrilled when they came into the club which happened only happened once or twice.

The ship is kept very clean and that are sanitizing wipes everywhere food is served.

Only made it to three shows and all were good. Missed Pirate night because my son was too exhausted and it didn't start until late.

Hallway noise was terrible. Could hear people talking, phone ringing and baby crying in cabin next to ours. Tweens running everywhere unsupervised on the ship.

Sailing with 900 kids was a little like being on a floating elementary school. I love kids but 900 was too many for me, especially on sea days when everyone wanted to be in the pool. Melts in Goofy's Galley weren't cooked all the way. Food in Topsiders was lower quality and wasn't impressed with selection except for shrimp.

The Destination lectures were excellent. The guy in charge of Excursions did introduce the lecture on Tunisia with a mini-lecture of his own which was annoying. He should have stepped aside and not tried to take over the lecturer's role.

After reading so many raving reviews of the Disney Magic I must have set my expectations too high. So, now I know what it's like and I don't see myself coming back for another cruise with them.

Publication Date: 06/22/10