Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by jsjjkelly: Our Splendor Review 5/30 - 6/6-2010

jsjjkelly
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Our Splendor Review 5/30 - 6/6-2010

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Just putting in my 2 cents on how our cruise went, since I read each and every one of these before we went. Hopefully it helps someone. It was my inlaws (in their 60's), me, my husband (39) and my daughter 10 and son 6.

We stayed at Disneyland before our trip, and used Super Shuttle to get to Long Beach. Picked us up at noon, was at the pier by 12:30. The line was long, but once the dome opened, the line moved smoothly. We were on the ship by 1:15, so it wasn't too bad.

Our room was mid ship, and it was very nice to be able to go down 1 deck to 5 where a lot of things were, and up to the Lido and Camp Carnival where my kids were at times.

We went to Los Veranos zip lining in Puerta Vallarta (we loved it and would definitely go again), a private tour with Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan (he was very nice and we had a great time) and we just walked around in Cabo since you aren't there very long.

We took on some water, Diet Cokes and Powerades-- the 12 More pack alloted for each of us. We ran out of water first. Then the Powerades. We had the coke sticker, so we really didn't drink the cokes. The kids devoured the Powerades, and we only had 2 or 3 left by the time the cruise was done. I mention that because it seems to be such a topic, and we really did use them.

My kids weren't the biggest fans of the kids clubs, but would go for the mornings on Sea Days, and we'd pick them up for lunch. We spent most afternoons watching the kids play in the Splash park thing, or swimming in the pool. They liked the slide, and we played a few rounds of mini-golf. They went onshore with us on port days, although people did leave kids in the kids club on those days.

We ate in the dining room only on the relaxed nights. We didn't dress up for formal night but ate the buffet instead. But we had a good time, and they were all very attentive to the kids. If the kids are happy, we're all happy right? We were in the Black Pearl Upper, and we could feel quite a bit of movement. Twice I had to run back to the room for Dramamine for the kids, although they didn't need it the rest of the cruise. Just during dinner time when you could really feel it.

We used the Carnival shuttle to take us to LAX after the cruise. We had a 12:30 flight, so we had an early debarkation number (3). We were at LAX by 10:15, so we had plenty of time. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Upper 6335

We had a quad balcony cabin. An upper bed, the couch turned into a bed, and a king size bed. It was comfortable, but you could feel the "seem" where they were connected. So you'd hit the seem and roll back :-) 3 big closets for clothes, but the life vests took up the last one, so it was really only 2. And the bathroom was small, but surprisingly we never once flooded the floor from the shower! Talk about luck! There was only 1 night where I could hear the music coming up from the floor. No one else in my family complained, so I just used earplugs and it drowned it all out.

We just walked around Cabo because you aren't there long. We found Cabo Wabo and walked in and out of shops around there. It's all the same stuff (so to speak), and we were back on the ship by lunch. The guys in our party stayed at Cabo Wabo (not wanting to shop) and drank and listened to a band there while we walked around. Beers by the bucket seemed to be the special all over town, which my kids couldn't care less about. So it was back to the ship we went. I think next time we'd try and do the jet ski rentals, because my kids saw them and were like "WE WANT TO DO THAT". And you're just not there long enough to do much else.

Thank God we had Mazatlan Frank booked. We contacted him for the city tour, and for $25 extra, we had a private tour all day for the 6 of us. Fine by me! We saw the Cliff Divers, the church downtown, and a bunch of nice historic places around town. He also diverted us from a lot of the panhandlers, but from what we could see, at times they just can't help themselves. We were having a nice lunch on the beach and they'd come right in the restaurant. Locals seem to turn a blind eye to them at times. He was so nice and professional, I'd book him again if he's in a city where we're headed. Thanks Frank!

Read 289 Mazatlan Reviews

We went did the Los Veranos Zip line tour. The Carnival excursion didn't allow kids under a certain age, but they had height and weight requirements, which my kids met. My 2 kids had such a blast! They initially said someone would go down with them, but my little guy just went right up and off he went! Thanks PacMan and all the staff there. They were reasonably priced too. All the taxi's outside the ship know which locations the bus picks up from. The collage disco is just that, and you sit outside the club waiting for the bus. The bus is nice and air conditioned and does bring you right back to the ship when you're done. We had such a good time, we would not hesitate to go again.