Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Chicaturtle: Was the Glory glorious? Yes and No

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Was the Glory glorious? Yes and No

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Embarkation was a breeze. I arrived at the pier at about noon and was on the ship by 12:30 p.m. I was surprised to see so many children on board. I thought the kids were not out of school yet -- boy was I wrong. The ship is lovely, well maintained, and clean. I especially liked the many nautical themes throughout the vessel. My cabin was a porthole (two portholes actually) with a single bed. Carnival has bigger cabins than most ships so I expected a decent sized room, and I was not disappointed. There were some minor issues in the cabin, which were quickly resolved. 1) the shower hose leaked, 2) a knob on a cabinet kept coming off when you opened the cabinet door, 3) the hairdryer was about to stop working and this black tar substance was leaking from it. FYI: the Adult Serenity area is wonderful. Great hammocks and large capsule style chairs for privacy. You don't hear all of those corny announcements or hear children screaming from the main pool area. The Glory recently added a More movie screen on the deck. Problem is that no movies were shown, only concerts, sporting events, and pretty backdrops. The layout of the ship is a bit confusing especially trying to find the Platinum Dining Room. The design of the ship was not well thought out.

The lunch buffets throughout the cruise looked bland and same old, same old. I chose the deli, and the sandwiches were great and the bread was very fresh. The pizza was not consistent. Sometimes the pizza was well baked and yummy and other times it tasted a bit undercooked, greasy, and awful. A lot of folks were eating at the Mongolian Wok station. I wasn't in the mood for Asian fare, but I heard the other passengers raving about it. I dined one night at the Supper Club. I was disappointed. The decor of the Supper Club was not as creative or pretty as on the Carnival Spirit. In addition, I ordered the exact same items as I did on the Carnival Spirit and the lobster was chewy and dried out. The crab cake was not so great either. I did not enjoy the overall Supper Club experience as much as I did on the Carnival Spirit. I wish I had not spent the money on the Supper Club and instead dined at "Steamers" in Saint John because many passengers commented on how fabulous it was. I heard the lobster and seafood was so much better in that restaurant than on the ship. Dinners in the Platinum Dining Room were served cold most of the time. Some entrees were better than others. Really, nothing to rave about. The Afternoon Tea experience was more like eating big pieces of cake from a local diner. This was also a disappointment. There were only two types of sandwiches to choose from: salmon and cucumber. The macaroons were really great though. The scones were more like cookies and not what scones should be. The Devonshire cream was more like a pudding. Also, jam was not served either. I mentioned all of this to the Maitre D, and by the 2nd tea, my concerns were addressed and I got a much better selection of food more appropriate for an Afternoon Tea. The chocolate buffet was awesome and really the best I have ever seen and tasted.

The service overall was also inconsistent. My cabin attendant, Juan, was fantastic, and he is a true professional. He is trying to get a job in management, and I am sure he will succeed in his endeavors. My dining room waiter was awful. He never introduced himself to his passengers, he did not place napkins on our laps, he served food cold, forgot starters, mixed up entrees, and he served the main course while other passengers had not yet finished his/her salads and soups. In addition, he was rude and he argued with his passengers. After speaking with the Maitre D, a more professional waiter was assigned to our table. It appeared that some staff members really liked his/her jobs and it showed. Some crew members would answer questions with a smile and others did not want to even acknowledge you.

Regarding the entertainment, I really loved the Latin band. I heard the Bar Blue is a jazz bar. Another disappointment, no music, no nothing going on. I did not see any of the shows so I can't comment.

I loved Saint John. I took the Fundy Coastal Tour, which was really great and it was not too long or too short in duration. The scenery was beautiful.

In spite of inconsistent food and service, I had a wonderful, relaxing cruise. I met so many nice people and it was great fun sharing our travel and cruising experiences.

A string quartet would add a nice touch to the dining experience and to the Afternoon Teas.

I am booked on the Carnival Pride for November. I love Carnival, but I would not make an advance reservation in another Carnival Supper Club until I get feedback from other passengers. Again, I think the quality of the food in the Supper Club varies from ship to ship.

Debarkation was a breeze too especially if you carry your bags on and off yourself as I did.

Overall, I enjoyed my cruising experience more on the Spirit than on the Glory.

Hope this information is helpful and happy sailing. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Upper/Lower Riviera 1208

Cabin 1208 on the Carnival Glory is a single cabin near the bow. I did not encounter noise from the ship or passengers. In addition, I did not find being so far forward annoying. It's a bit far from the elevators though.