Rotterdam Cruise Review by afwife: The Perfect Weight Loss Cruise - #1 on food budget savings

afwife
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Rotterdam Alaska Cruises

The Perfect Weight Loss Cruise - #1 on food budget savings

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was our first cruise with the "upscale" Holland America and most definately our last. The room was not what we expected on many levels. We have cruised with several lines in the past and were amazed at the cleanliness and service provided - Holland America is NOT one of them. The bathroom floor was covered with hair from a previous guest(s), walls and mirrors were dirty, couch/fold-bed was stainned, the head board was covered with ink drawings possibly from a child on earlier cruises, curtains could have used a good washing, floor needed shampooed badly, etc. The public areas were somewhat better. The adult area on the ship is most unuseable on the Alaska cruise since it is NOT covered and the cruise is in a cold area most of the time. Entertainment was "slow". The only good entertainment was the comedian other than him the entertainment would have rivaled that of a nursing home. Activities onboard consisted of Sales of junk and jewelry or "how to shop" courses. The last time I More was solicited this hard for money was in Las Vegas. Public areas were randomly closed off for private functions which created a problem since there was so little to do. If I was 90 years old the ship activities and entertainment may have been of interest. Pool closed at 7pm leaving the children with nothing to do, therefore they ran up and down the halls of the ship.

SERVICE: the first thing we noticed was how SHIP EMPLOYEES DID NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT AT ANYTIME nor did they attempt to speak. Getting assistance was impossible. We were owed a $65 credit to our spa services but never received it. Was told by the Main Desk Managment that it was being "checked into". That was the comment for the entire cruise. Quality of the spa was below poor.

FOOD - as in the my title - the only cruise I have ever heard of or been involved in where I left the dinner table as hungry as when I arrived. I have jokingly told friends that I was on the Jenny Craig cruise and that the food services group could feed the world with one cow for 10 years. Let me hit some highlights - Crablegs, my favorite food, was served. Let me be more clear, A CRABLEG, split down the middle and cut in sections was served on the 1 and 1/2 new potatoes as my entree'. This was after my 9 leaves of lettuce salad and the quarter sized seafood cake that I swallowed before I tasted it. The first night after dinner - what there was of it, I was thrilled that I had requested a cheese tray for midnight to celebrate our 25th anniversary with the bottle of Champagne I had ordered. I will say we laughed a great laugh when, at midnight, we received the 3 1/2inch squares of cheese and the 3 packs of crackers. The croutons with spread squeezed on top with an icing bag was the most comical of food items we were served. I did receive a raw veal parmasan which was replaced with the new one that contained the broken toothpick. The restaurant manager attempted to prove to me that the tooth pick was indeed an herb that had dried during cooking. I wasnt sure if I should laugh or be angry that he viewed me as an idiot.

The quality of food was very poor for any restaurant. The serving sizes were well below any I have ever experienced anywhere. The inability to get a decent meal was beyond our belief. The late night buffett consisted of a limited (VERY LIMITED) amount of food and once that was gone it was GONE! Upon returning from shore excursions there would be NO FOOD to be had. Room service was joke - if they did not forget then you might get some of what you ordered. The Ham and Cheese omelette consisted of no ham nor cheese and brown heavily on both sides - also known as scorched. Cresents - my favorite bread was as small as an egg and hard as a rock. The only good meal and flavorful food I received was from the lunch time sandwich guy who built the sandwich as I ordered.

Overall the cruise ship/line was subpar with poor chance of referral from us. I would never recommend this cruise line nor will I ever book with them again. The only good part of the cruise was the shore excursions - I can just as well cruise with Princess in the future and I will. Less

Read more Rotterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rotterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Rotterdam Large Interior Stateroom Dolphin 2689

Room 2689 was located over the engine at the back of the ship - loud, vibrated, medium in size. Was designed to add 2 more people so they said but was small for 2 people alone. Only good thing was the debarkation was usually on the same floor. Was NOT the room we expected nor booked.

The Taku Lodge excursion was well worth every penny. The float plane over other glaciers enroute to the lodge was the greatest flying I have ever experienced. The pilot was a wonderful local man who learned to fly from his uncle. The Taku Lodge is as beautiful in person as it was on the travel channel. Had a great time watching the bears eat out of the outside cooking pit. Although I am not much of a fish eater I GREATLY ENJOYED THE WILD SALMON as well as ALL of the other food items available. The soft ginger cookies were the best I have ever eaten. The young individuals cooking and caretaking were very well mannered and very hard working. This shore excursion is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Be sure to stop by the Lucky Lady and for go the Red Dog. This saloon is up the street from the Red Dog and boasts walls of information regard the owner who was also the owner of the Taku Lodge - Mary Joyce. Look her up and you will be ready to visit her former home and her business. The locals were friendly - so were the dogs. Keep a watch for bear - they can be seen up the hill in alley ways in town.

Suggest the Mining Company for jewelry purchases. Avoid the ones recommended by the cruise lines especially the location that offers to give you a free 1 ct stone - sapphire. That was a joke its own.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Warning - don't bother to shop if you are sick of seeing the foreign owners who have taken over the local businesses who are extremely rude. Of all the places we visited in the previous Alaska ports none were like the businesses in Ketchikan. Most were foreign - India and Arab immigrants - treated very rude at the Holland America recommended shopping locations.

The shore excursion to have is the zipline in the treetops. There are 2 zipline tours and both are great. The staff is wonderful and the store is very nice. Needed more time in the port and at the store.

4X4 drive to the Black Sand Beach was excellent. The staff were well educated and experienced. This is not an excursion for the young only. My husband and I enjoyed walking barefoot in the water on the beach. We would definately plan to return to Sitka for an extended vacation. The boat captain was a joy and pleasure - he attempted to show us as much wild life as possible. The two young men on the covered 4x4 cycles were a pleasure to talk with. The van driver gave us a wonderful tour and showed us around before and after the excursion. THIS IS A MUST FOR SITKA VISITORS. Be sure to stop by the American Legion for a cold beer.

Read 161 Sitka Reviews

Just like any other tourist town. People were friendly but very touristy location. Over priced. Would recommend the Switftsure Restaurant on Belleville Street on the corner. - Martin was a nice bartender as well as the rest of the staff for being friendly. You would know you were in Canada.

Read 558 Victoria Reviews