Carnival Dream Cruise Review by peter78

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Number: 1-239
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Last Minute Crusie Turned Out To Be Our Best
We have been on two Carnival Crusies and at the last minute we decided to book a cruise. It turns out we got the last window cabin for 3 people. It was on the first floor near an elavator.

Port: I wanted to mention Port Canaveral. For us it was closer since we drove there. If you go to this Port, I recommend staying a few nights in a hotle nearby on A1A. It is not all that crowded and there are beautiful beaches. We stayed at Melbourne Beach and we actually saw two sea turtles lay eggs on the beach at night.

The port was easy to get to and park your car. Most important, it took about 35 minutes to check in. Check out was also just as easy. Carnival must be doing something right, we had 4,500 guests on board. (We went from June 5th to June 12th.)

Ship: OK, the bad first. We did notice a bit of sideways movement in the boat. At the Captains greeting, they no longer had free drinks, they were a $1 off. That is basically all of the bad. The ship is the newest and it is not as lavish or overdone. There were no out landish colors, they used simpler decor. Some people I talked to were a little disappointed, but for me the ship was better for it.

The room was very nice, the biggest surprise was it had 2 bathrooms. The first door had a bathroom with a shower, toilet and sink, just like the other two ships I have been on. The shower has a low lip and water tends to overflow into the room. But, there was another door, this room had a tub and one sink, so I guess technically, it is not a bathroom. The tub had a shower head and it was great to use this as a shower and then go to the other bathroom and shave or put on make up. To me, this improvement along with 3 hanging closets and one storage cabinet was a big deal.

The first floor was fine, even being near a elavtor was fine. One thing I did notice is that from room 360 to 400 on the first floor, you could hear and feel the engines. Not real terrible, but it is there. You move away from that area and it is fine.

Food: We all agreed the food was better on this trip, especially the appetizers. Other guests I talked to agreed the level of food was a notch better. A couple of things, the Scarlet dining room had lunch and it was super, but they didn't change the menus. Everything was great, it just didn't change much. On the last day at sea, we ate at other locations, I had a sandwich form the sandwich bar and it was very good. One chocolate melting cake was way under done and my wive's prime rib was tough. Since the food was a bit better, but not changing the lunch menu, I gave it 4 stars. To me, it had some meals that were really super.

We had on-time dining and it was really nice, all but one night we got the same waiter. The night we had Maine lobster and grilled shrimp, the waiter asked if I wanted two lobsters. I know we can order more, but it was a nice touch of her to offer. I didn't get two lobsters, but I think I did get three of the super appetizers.

The rest of the ship was fine. I really liked the adult section, I could always get a chair in the sun or out of the sun there. Getting a chair by the main pool was tough, but getting one by the back pool was fine. Pools were always crowded though.

The shows were very good, "Dancing in the Streets" was my favorite. The comedy shows and the show to pick other guests to sing on the last night were great.

Every area of the ship was clean and service was very good. I have read the reviews and I didn't smell any foul odor and there was any Jimmy Buffett music, but I didn't have that on my other two ships. The crusie director Todd Wittmer was on anther ship I crusied. He was great on the Carnival Freedom and I think they picked him to do the biggiest and newest ship. He did sing some Rolling Stone songs and he really was quite good. So, no Jimmy Buffett, but over all, lot of differnt kinds of music for all tastes.

Publication Date: 06/18/10