Costa Deliziosa Cruise Review by Jan: Costa Deliziosa - was it delicious?

Jan
Member Since 2000

Compare Prices on Costa Deliziosa Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises

Costa Deliziosa - was it delicious?

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Copenhagen

Just back from my first Costa (have done Cunard, Princess, HAL, RCCL, Carnival before). Deliziosa is a new ship and a such was in excellent condition.

Embarcation at Copenhagen was painfully slow. They had only 2 desks, manned by ship's dancers who only had to check name on embarcation form you carried with your passport. No computer terminal or even a printed list to tick names. Still took them for ever. I stood in a queue for 1 hr 25 mins. An elderly lady behind me fainted, and I'd be surprised if she was the only one that day. Costa Card (combined room key/on board charge card) was in the cabin.

Plenty of storage space in cabin, cabin steward excellent with high standards and desire to help when needed, cabin tv channels not good unless you speak Italian, French, German, Spanish. Only English-speaking channel was BBC World.

Whole ship was very clean, most staff speak reasonable English, announcements were made in 5 languages but I got used to that and More would just switch my ears off after hearing the first one I understood. Evening shows were ok - the multi-lingual ventriloquist (sounds painful) was a scream and I literally cried laughing.

Excursions expensive but I do my own thing anyway - you can find everything there is to know and see about your destinations on line and don't have to spend a fortune on ship's tours.

Food - well, compared to other lines it was disappointing. Buffet at lunchtime was ok, but nice to have waiter service in main restaurant at lunchtime if you're not ashore. It's open dining then so you can go when you want between 12 - 1.30 and don't have to sit at your assigned dinner table. Evening buffet not good, unless you like pizza. All they have is pizza, one pasta dish, one fish that to me screamed 'school dinners fish' and when I was there, the meat option was luncheon meat. Restaurant dinner menu disappointing but you can always get salmon or steak if you don't like that evening's menu. Hazlenut ice cream - now that really was Deliziosa. Room Service continental breakfast was ok and no extra charge. If you want RS any other time there's a 2 Euro charge. They don't do room service for lunch or dinner - I guess they're busy in the restaurant.

Drinks very expensive. Even the Cocktail of the Day was 5 Euros which gets to almost 6 by the time they add the service charge and I don't think £5 for the day's cheap cocktail is particularly cheap. I'd gone on a last minute super-cheapie and had no budget for many extras, so stuck to normal water at dinner and didn't suffer from it. You can always get tea (lots of choice of fruit, herbal, normal, etc)or coffee in the lido buffet up to 11pm.

Several bars to relax in, but none for peaceful relaxation as they all have some sort of live music in the evening.

Casino - only takes your Costa Card, not cash, inc. the slots, so restraint needed there. Can get a bit smokey.

There are smoking areas in the bars and one side of the pools.

Less than half those dining had dressed to the "Gala" dress code on both those nights, so if you don't want to take fancy clothes you won't feel out of place.

Internet's expensive but before I went I'd googled free wifi and found plenty of places I could use their computers (usually public libraries) or my netbook wifi for free. Some places you could get on line just off the ship - watch for where the crew go - when you see lots of Filipinos at their laptops, chances are there's free wifi.

Would I go Costa again? If I got a good deal like this one (under £350 for balcony cabin for sole occupancy for a week including flights), Yes. Less

Read more Costa Deliziosa cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Deliziosa Review >>

Cabin review: Costa Deliziosa Oceanview with Veranda Ibisco Deck 7340

Good position in ship - away from lifts and didn't see a soul in corridor. Plenty of storage space. Blackout curtain linings excellent (and necessary due to 24-hour daylight in northerly areas). Nice balcony furniture and plenty of room to stretch out on balcony. Only negative aspect of the balcony was that it on a stretch of cabins slight inset from others, which meant that I couldn't take photos along the side of the ship from the balcony, as the next stretch of balconies protruded into the pictures. The only sound from cabins on either side was of their cabin telephone, otherwise I wouldn't have known there was anyone in them.

The old historical part of Bergen - Bryggen - on the left as you walk into the town, is very pretty and worth a walk around. The Fish Market at the quay has interesting-looking specimens (and tasty prawn and smoked salmon sandwiches) and whale meat.

I'd been to Bergen before and this time went just out of town to the Grieg museum. It's a 20-min local bus ride (bus stop just near the market at the quayside), then a 20-min walk - well-signed to Troldhaugen then to the museum. www.troldhaugen.com

From June-August they have a 1-1.30pm recital of Grieg music at the beautiful small concert hall built into the hillside of the gardens. (N.Kr.100 admission to museum, Grieg's house and concert. N.Kr.60 without concert) It's a lovely house, with fabulous views. There's also the hut where the composer worked, as well as his grave. Very much worth a visit.

Read 172 Bergen Reviews

(4)
There's very little at Flam - tourist info office, souvenir shop, hotel, restaurant/bar, small train station and small supermarket. The village is inland from the dock.

Main reason for ships going to Flam is the scenic railway, which is about £40 if you just buy a ticket and get on the train. Considerably more if you do it with a ship's tour, though that does bring you back a different way by coach. I'd done the train on a previous cruise so didn't need/want to do it again. There's a big map on a wall showing some walking routes, graded 1-4 or 5 - the tourist office has maps of them. I walked inland to the tiny, very pretty village of Flam to see the very old wooden church and came back by a slightly different route - clearly shown on the map so no fear of getting lost. It was a beautiful walk on a lovely sunny day and I went at a leisurely pace, stopping for oodles of photos, and was out for a couple of hours.

Picked up free wifi in the hotel open gardens next to the ship, so sat in the sun with my netbook and emailed some of my new photos home.

GEIRANGER was the next port. Tenders used here. I gave it an hour before getting off, to avoid queues. No problem. There's not much to see at Geiranger.

You'll see a waterfall in the village and lots of people walked up to the top of it - maybe 25 minute walk - and if you go round the next bend there's a grassy picnic area with an info centre (admission charged to the centre) with lovely views into the fjord and up to the mountains. Again - picked up on free wifi in that grassy area.

Lots of gift shops and cafes in the village.

Read 83 Flam Reviews

(2)

Next Port was STAVANGER which was a lovely city (I'd rate it a 5), but sadly we only had a half day there. Would have liked much more. We docked alongside pretty, old, white houses – worth a stroll through. The old town was beautiful - cobbled streets and pretty pastel-coloured houses. Lovely just to wander around. Impressive Cathedral. Free internet and/or wifi at the public library.

In OSLO we docked next to Akershus Fortress – home to the Resistance Museum, the Armed Forces Museum, the Castle Church, and the National Monument to the liberation after WW2. Parts of it weren't accessible due to repair works. Looking from the ship into the port, at centre left of the port is the small Nobel Peace Centre, which is much more attractive than the particularly unattractive City Hall that has pride of place in the middle of the port area.

Again, we only had a half day though that was enough for me as Oslo wasn’t a city to stroll around – too big, grey and busy for my liking. Walked up to the Royal Palace but it was gold and drizzling and I didn’t hang around for the 1.30pm changing of the guard.

Read 144 Oslo Reviews

(3)

Free internet at public library.

Read 144 Oslo Reviews